Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Modification to the base ui - possible? (Speifically the group box)

rabb1t_ESO
rabb1t_ESO
✭✭✭
It doesn't look like this forum is used a lot, but hopefully I can get an answer. :)

I'm looking for just a bit of additional information on the group box; CP level, HP, physical and spell resists. (Ideally even set that info line up to fade when in combat, as it's really only something I'd like to verify/check now and then.) I've tried a couple of the current addons that show HP, however, I find that they all seem to show HP and % of HP in the health bar itself, which I find really distracting.

Question; Is it possible to modify the base UI, but mostly leave it intact?

The reason I ask is I really like the default look of the base group UI. I'd like this information to be added to it WITHOUT removing the base look of it. The two addons I've tried, and others I've seen, all seem to fully replace the default UI. So, is it not possible to retain the base UI look? Does the addon code 'erase' the base UI code for the group box and you must start from scratch?

If it is possible, is there anywhere I can see the base code? I'm pretty terrible at coding (got As in the early couple of programming classes, but after getting Ds in intermediate dropped the attempts), but usually if I can 'see the language' I can understand enough of it to maybe hopefully tweak these things in I'd like to have.
Edited by rabb1t_ESO on August 4, 2018 8:19PM
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Picture for additional clarity.

Left side - original unmodified UI look

Middle - non-combat desired state with additional information

Right - in-combat desired state (additional info fades to a default 20% with the option to not fade, or fade completely to 0%.)

8t8rb5zfhyn1.jpg
  • SlippyCheeze
    SlippyCheeze
    ✭✭✭
    rabb1t_ESO wrote: »
    I'm looking for just a bit of additional information on the group box; CP level, HP, physical and spell resists. (Ideally even set that info line up to fade when in combat, as it's really only something I'd like to verify/check now and then.) I've tried a couple of the current addons that show HP, however, I find that they all seem to show HP and % of HP in the health bar itself, which I find really distracting.

Yes, this is possible. Check http://www.esoui.com/ to see if this exists, which I think it may, but if not, you absolutely can make those changes from an addon.
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    That's where I got the 2 I tried and 2 others I looked at.

Again, ALL of them completely replace the default UI. Are you sure it can be made so it DOESN'T completely replace the look?
  • SlippyCheeze
    SlippyCheeze
    ✭✭✭
    That's where I got the 2 I tried and 2 others I looked at.

Again, ALL of them completely replace the default UI. Are you sure it can be made so it DOESN'T completely replace the look?

Yes. If none of the existing addons do what you want, write your own.
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but that's not really the question. The question is; if I do so CAN the EXISTING UI be added to, or MUST it 'start from scratch'. Because I've seen none that do what I am looking for, implying that it can't be done and they all MUST start from scratch.
    Edited by rabb1t_ESO on August 7, 2018 12:26AM
  • TFPAcer
    TFPAcer
    ✭✭✭
    You can just add it to the existing group frame without creating another one.
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yay.

But is there a place to see the base code to know what I'd need to add too? Or do I have to get others that are similar and look at their code to get an idea what the base code might be?

I'm apparently super bad at programing, but if I can see the original I should be able to discern what needs to go where. When I went to the wiki they were like 'here are the one million possible variables for all the things', and I was like… uh... I need to know like 6 of those.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP can be gleamed from the grouping window uo to the point of the current cap. A running total isn’t needed full time or even even out of combat. Can it be added? Yes.

As for resistance, that info is not available via the API. Zos determines long ago they didn’t want our stats shared and closed off anything that shared stats. Before the game was launched we could see max stats and remaining stats for magicka and stam. Something that offered a tactical advantage but clearly information our character should not be expected to know.

Edit: in other words a player would have to opt in to share information for an add on to obtain it.
    Edited by idk on August 7, 2018 5:46PM
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hum, so really could just get max hp and true CP... which both are of limited value... will have to ponder it more. For whatever reason my brain really doesn't like the altered UIs which currently show that info from what I've found.
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't look like this forum is used a lot, but hopefully I can get an answer. :)

If it is possible, is there anywhere I can see the base code? I'm pretty terrible at coding (got As in the early couple of programming classes, but after getting Ds in intermediate dropped the attempts), but usually if I can 'see the language' I can understand enough of it to maybe hopefully tweak these things in I'd like to have.

You can absolutely modify almost everything about the base game UI, and this is most easily done by writing an addon that simply references the UI elements within the global namespace. This process gets more complicated when dealing with generated UI elements such as group frames because they don't have a set global binding, so you'll need to tie into a global container that generates the element in question and modify that instead.

The code for ESO's client UI is available for the public to view for reference when making addons.

As a fair warning, the codebase is pretty large and confusing for a casual programmer to look through. Given Lua uses dynamic types it can be difficult to tell even what type each argument is expected to have, and explanatory comments are few and far between.

To get you started, the bits you are interested in appear to be found in ./esoui/ingame/unitframes.(lua|xml)
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hum, yeah that's probably too complex. I was thinking the code for that would be much much smaller. If I had to manage all that that probably would be too much for the little thing I want.

I guess I'll either have to do without or force my brain to get used to existing ones. :(
    Edited by rabb1t_ESO on August 8, 2018 4:11PM