The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tank Help

• TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Anyway, just jump into it. Tanking is fun, don't be scared, and the best way to learn to tank is to try it. Second, don't worry about farming for gear. One of the great things to come out of of the Clockwork City DLC is the Livewire set. It's easy to get and can be acquired very cheaply from guild traders. And it's a really nice well-rounded tanking set whose 5p is both supportive (AoE concussion) and selfish (procing heals on the tank). Combine that with Torug's Pact, which only requires 3 traits to craft, and anyone can jump into tanking with minimal initial investment. Of course, Livewire+Torug is neither meta nor competitive, but better setups will require a lot more time and effort to get, and as far as starter setups go, this is easily the best "bang for the buck".

Ya I am a loooooongggg way from getting to the endgame build. I just want something that I can get through in vet dungeons for now. Once I get the mechanics down, I will work on building different sets, but in all honesty, that is probably going to be a long time from now. This was good advice. I dont know anything about the Livewire set since I have been away for over 6 months so I will look into that this weekend. Is it crafted? I have a crafting toon that can do that stuff no problem.

I've just rebuilt my faithful old Orc stamDK as a magDK tank along Lynx7386's lines (I'm pretty close, fortunately I already had Ebon as it costs a fortune these days; no Grothdar though). I need a hybrid that can solo and I don't do the high end stuff. It's just nice to have a different play style. My big question is how far I can improve his DPS once I get the destroy staff levelled up - the one huge frustration with being 1H&S front and back is the woeful damage output.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coming from a healer background, I'm playing my first tank. Being a bit nervous, I studied Woeler's site and started with a rather 'classic' build - Imperial DK, S&B both bars, +35k health, ~22kstam, ~21kmag, high mag regen. . . . I understand gear sets and am using appropriate 'selfish' gear to help get what I need so I can comfortably, taunt, control, sustain, survive. I might consider 'unselfish' gear much later. Maybe.

My question is resists for PvE. I'm currently 30k mag resist and 26k physical resist. I'm ignorant on things like soft/hard caps. What I'm looking for is a target recommendation for resists. I'm thinking I'm not too far off but not sure.

Edit: So I dug around some more and found what I believe is resists hard cap at 33k. I'm guessing that since I will normally have hardened armor up boosting my resists by 5k that 28k would be a reasonable target for resists?
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on March 3, 2018 3:52AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea anywhere between 25-28k before buffs is good. Don't stress too much about resists though, they don't make as big a difference as you'd think.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for confirming my thinking was in the ball park. :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Alqu
    Alqu
    ✭✭
    Alqu wrote: »
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    I run a couple of khajiit tanks so don't think race is a make or break for a character. The best tank options are nord, imperial, and argonian for various reasons, but whichever you prefer playing will work.

Tanking gear and ability setup varies pretty drastically depending on what content you're doing. A 4 man vet dungeon pledge tank will not be set up the same as vet trials pledge tank or a PvP tank.

The easiest class to tank on, and the one still preferred for pretty much all content, is dragon knight. That said, wardens are about equally capable but are a little different / more complex to play. The other 3 classes are all capable of dungeon tanking but have significant difficulties with trials. For a first time tank I would recommend sticking to a dk.

Your build will always have a good amount of "flex" spots - I.e. ability spots on your bar that change based on what particular thing you're doing. However there are a few key abilities you always want to have at your disposal:

1. Pierce armor, from the 1h/shield line. This is the single most important ability for any tank in the game. It applies two major debuff to the enemy, and taunts (forces them to attack you) for 15 seconds. Don't over use it though.

2. Heroic slash, from the 1h/shield line. I sometimes do without this, but the main benefit is that it weakens the enemy and causes you to generate ultimate very quickly. Dragon knights gain a huge amount of healtg, magicka, and stamina back whenever they use an ultimate, so you should be able to discern why this ability is nice to have.

3. Choking talons, from draconic power. This immediately immobilizes all enemies around you and makes them deal less damage. This game doesn't have an area or multi target taunt ability, so your job on big groups of enemies is to lock them down with talons so your group can kill them.

4. Unrelenting grip, from the ardent flame line. This ability yanks any enemy at long range to you, allowing you to turn a spread out group of enemies into a nice little immobilized cluster for your group to nuke.

Other important skills for a dk tank are hardened armor for major ward/resolve (often replaced by balance in trials builds for the same buffs at no cost), green dragon blood which is a huge self heal and boosts your stamina recovery and healing received, and standard of might as an ultimate which increases your damage dealt and reduces your damage taken.

My dk mainly tanks vet dungeons for pledges and runs this setup:

5x ebon armory (boosts health for the group)
    5x seducer (reduces my magicka costs)
    2x grothdar (monster set that deals aoe fire damage)

Front bar (1h/sh)
    Pierce armor
    Unrelenting grip
    Choking talons
    Green Dragon blood
    Igneous shield
    Magma shell

Back bar (fire staff)
    Engulfing flames
    Elemental blockade
    Eruption
    Hardened armor
    Molten armaments
    Standard of might

This build is meant to help a bit with damage and also be able to self heal through quite a bit, and is not optimized for trials, obviously.

You know, I would have told him to tank with a nb for a beginner since if you can learn how to tank with a nb, you can tank anything in the game lol.

But to op, this guy knows his stuff.

You're right, and I started tanking on a nightblade myself, but I didn't want him to just get frustrated with it and give up when he realizes they can't really handle trials =p

As far as knowing my stuff, I've got a lot of experience tanking on most classes (not much on templar, plenty on the others) but I'm not a min maxer and I don't do meta builds. 90% of my game time is spent in vet dungeons, not trials, and when I do tank trials its usually for helping new guild members learn the encounters.

My builds aren't acceptable for most endgame leaderboards pushing guilds, but that's fine for me since that isn't my primary focus in the game. I do enjoy making versatile tanks that can heal and dps well enough to make vet dungeon pledges a breeze, though.

I may have to try your approach with my DK. I am running a true hybrid stam/magic. Basically, bigger stam pool, but all magic regen. Can do bursty stam damage (which is good for PvP), and no sustain issues for either stam (with heavy attacks) or magic with the gear/enchants. Other thing I have going is much focus on ultimate generation. Use variously Warhorn, Standard, or Magma.

But flat out being magic, able to swap to DPS when solo or for more sustained PvP, seems appealing.

Hey, Lynx. I wanted to return to the thread and say thank you. I'm not even the OP, but this was helpful. I redid my Dragonknight to have more in magic attributes. Changed enchantments to keep stam above magic level, but still mostly magic regen.
    Didn't change the tanking too much. I think I'm probably blocking a bit less and shielding myself and others more. I am still running 1hand/1hand.

But it makes a big difference when I run solo (switch to light armor and destro/destro) and running normals half tank w/ 1hand/destro when the PUG seems capable and agreeable.
    Alqu - Sneaky bosmer dps (sNB)
    Allqu - Whirling dervish redguard dps (Sorc)
    Ocuili - Devout dunmer templar burninator (Temp)
    Ocuilin - Secretive dunmer dps/heals (mNB)
    Tletl - Drunken orsimer tank (DK)
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP— lots of insight in this thread for you to work with. You should do great with it :) tanking is a lot of fun imo, although be prepared that it can be high pressure since it’s often pretty obvious if/when tank messes up. Just a note of warning not to get discouraged as you’re learning the role!
    Also, going with someone else’s build is absolutely fine, but do make sure that you’re taking the time to read tooltips and understand the synergies of these abilities, passives, CP, and gear sets yourself beyond what someone writes in their build guide. That way you’ll know how to tweak your build depending on your preferences or the situation and not be locked into how someone else generally likes to set up their tanks.
  • TamrielSaviour215
    TamrielSaviour215
    ✭✭✭
    Yup I am in the learning curve at the moment. I dont have Fiery Grip unlocked yet so I am running in circles trying to hit all of the biggest enemies once with Pierce Armor as quickly as possible :D It seems to be working but it will be easier when I get the chains. I have my basic cycle for mobs (currently only lvl 21) all set. I buff hardened armor, Dragons blood, then Obsidian Shard while I run in. Then Unrelenting Grip to lock in the low lvl mobs for DPS to AoE them. Then I run at the biggest guys/mages/archers and hit them all once with the pierce armor to focus them on me. By then its almost time for another round of buffs and by the time I buff again, the low lvls are dead leaving the biggest guys for me to taunt while DPS goes to work. I think I have it pretty much figured out, I just need better (and morphed) skills. A lot of this really helped a lot!
    PS4/NA
    Jasunr Cosmus - Imperial Templar, Supreme Healer of the Cosmos CP 240
    Itzal Siavish - Khajit NB, Thief LVL 38
    Bruxana - Altmer Sorc, Powerhouse DPS Lvl 18
    Torvakor - Redguard Stam Warden Lvl 7
    Langsdon Emerson - Imperial DK Tank - Lvl 31
  • Idontknow91
    Idontknow91
    ✭✭✭
    VonSwaego wrote: »
    What is this? I’ve run a destro staff on my tank sinc I made him, and took nothing but loads of crap. Now a new tank is getting told to run one? Ive been waiting along time to hear this. Was starting to think There was no off meta tanks left anymore.
    I run a dunmer DK in 5/5 pelinals/ trainee, endurance S&B on front bar, fire destro on back. I have 32k majicka, 33k health, just under 22k stamina, and when buffed 3k weapon and spell damage. Self heals are crazy, and the extra dps in dungeons is noticeable. I have successfully tanked a few vet trials with it, and even soloed a few vet dungeons just to see if I could.
    The real fun though was that I ground myself numb to make 4 of these suits the first week Tamriel one dropped. There’s a sorc/ lightning staff, nightblade/ frost staff, and a Templar/ healing staff. Only got to see them altogether once before the massive trainee nerf, but man talk about some off meta fun. Made vet dungeons a breeze. Really see how well the classes could compliment each other.
    Fun tank setup to run. Won’t get you into any trial guilds though. Lol

Lol, right! I've run a lightning staff on my backbar since I first made my tank during launch of Shadows of the Hist. And got nothing but criticism and weariness from people before I even taunted a single enemy!