Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

re-install?

Jitterbug
Jitterbug
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
my patcher all of a sudden said "repair"

now it says "install"

please advise
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    I would say don't click install - it looks to be the whole game install again. Hopefully, they will have another method for us that have already downloaded and patched the game.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yeah people on twitch are getting all kinds of different responses from the launcher right now it seems...
    probably better to wait it out
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    You can still launch the game by just running the client:
    The Elder Scrolls Online/game_mac/pubplayerclient/eso

But I would stay away from the launcher until this is resolved
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it is typical Launcher mess.

It downloads 28MB update. That said Complete. Then minute later creating the 'Download' which is actually to Verify install. takes a while.

Edit:

Verfies (first takes a while to build temp folders) > 2-3MB update > 58MB approx. update the client > Verify and Complete ATM for me.

Edit:
    Relaunch and now 28MB for game_mac. > Verifying all again (makes the depot temp 22GB) > 3MB update > Verify > 58MB game_mac again? > Verify

Looking like a Loop.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 3, 2014 9:59PM
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »

It downloads 28MB update. That said Complete. Then minute later creating the 'Download' which is actually to Verify install. takes a while.

mine didn't download anything.
    I just heard of the patch on twitch, started the launcher, and it said repair. I then restarted the launcher and it now says install. (i've been playing all through early access)
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can still launch the game by just running the client:
    The Elder Scrolls Online/game_mac/pubplayerclient/eso

But I would stay away from the launcher until this is resolved

Yeah, good call.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really suggest to make a backup of the existing Instal before launching Launcher for Update incase.
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »

Edit:

Verifies then downloads a few small things 2-3MB then 58MB or so.

I think your suggestion for backup is a good one. When my patch finished the launcher button switched to install - I have a backup so I clicked install and then it showed like a 20 GB download headed my way and I quickly quit the launcher.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guys. if its stuck in Loop like mine. Pause and Quit. Then launch eso client direct to get onto server now up.
    Applications/ZeniMax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online EU/game_mac/pubplayerclient/eso.app

Or

Open Options (top right cog icon) and press Cancel. Then under Game Options menu > Repair. Also said to work.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 3, 2014 10:28PM
  • rebelcoder
    Copied my game files somewhere else, curious to see what happens if i let this finish.
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    Well my Launcher is back to just install now and not trying to download. Progress?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well my Launcher is back to just install now and not trying to download. Progress?
    You have to try and get the Repair option on the Game Options drop down menu. This is not predictable I'm afraid and some trial and error to get it. I strongly suggest to backup your current install as Cancel might wipe the entire folder. And why I always back it up in case.

So, backup then start the Launcher. Let it build the initial 22GB something 'Download' which is actually creating temp depot folders. It will then actually start the Install, give it some second then press Pause and then Cancel as suggested from the Options. Hopefully it is all still there. Now hopefully also the Repair option is available. If not, quit the launcher and repeat.

it should after Cancel give you the Repair but it's not certain each time.

Once you get Repair then normally it will start, Verify as usual with some small updates and Complete. Fingers crossed it is then ready for launch to game.

This is essentially the second half of the method which works for copying an install posted here.

Good luck.
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    I have it and an older version backed up so I will give this a shot thanks for trying to help
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have it and an older version backed up so I will give this a shot thanks for trying to help
    No problem. Please check the other thread for my question on your Mac Pro which is important to know too.

Edited by Moonraker on April 4, 2014 12:22AM
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    @‌Moonraker The download is showing 22991.59 MB but nothing is getting downloaded and I have been sitting here waiting for 10 minutes.

I'll try and cancel etc to see if I can get the repair option
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    Got the repair to finally show and after clicking it seems to be running through the process. I'll let you know if it works.

One thing that really needs to be done because it causes problems is the game option menu needs to be moved away from its location to a more visible location - as it stands many times when you click on the menu you get the news links below to load in a browser or the clicks will go right through the menu and bring up your web browser.

From a UI standpoint these options should probably just be moved into the options menu on the top right.
    Edited by SilentVigil on April 4, 2014 12:46AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got the repair to finally show and after clicking it seems to be running through the process. I'll let you know if it works.

One thing that really needs to be done because it causes problems is the game option menu needs to be moved away from its location to a more visible location - as it stands many times when you click on the menu you get the news links below to load in a browser or the clicks will go right through the menu and bring up your web browser.

From a UI standpoint these options should probably just be moved into the options menu on the top right.
    Submit it as /feedback in-game is the best thing for suggestions.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got on the server last night (european time) and could play no problem, but my launcher is still saying "repair"
  • BrownJenkin
    Same problem here and same situation like SilentVigil, I'll try to do what Moonraker suggested. Thanks for the infos
    Ozzy Warlord - nord templar - Covenant
    Zhou Weilin - dunmer nightblade - Ebonheart
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    @BrownJenkin I got mine to finally work this morning. Last night after repairing my second copy (I kept the backup on my 2T backup disk) I repaired it once and then I believe I stopped the second repair had got the Update button (the one that becomes play) After I hit Update it downloaded another 20 MB patch and then after that downloaded I got the Play Button. Also. I turned auto update off.

Make sure you have a backup copy before doing anything as my first attempt wiped all the files and wanted to completely reinstall.

I logged in an the Pink textures are not there and everything looks good at the moment.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @BrownJenkin I got mine to finally work this morning. Last night after repairing my second copy (I kept the backup on my 2T backup disk) I repaired it once and then I believe I stopped the second repair had got the Update button (the one that becomes play) After I hit Update it downloaded another 20 MB patch and then after that downloaded I got the Play Button. Also. I turned auto update off.

Make sure you have a backup copy before doing anything as my first attempt wiped all the files and wanted to completely reinstall.

I logged in an the Pink textures are not there and everything looks good at the moment.
    @SilentVigil glad you finally fixed it.

Good advice. The Launcher is not stable as it is, at least for the install/ download process and the potential to wipe the entire folder.

Hopefully they will update it soon.
  • Daviiid_ESO
    Daviiid_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I just went right to the eso app, skipped the launcher, works perfectly fine, was able to skip the intros as well.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just went right to the eso app, skipped the launcher, works perfectly fine, was able to skip the intros as well.
    @Forss_Davidb16_ESO It's good as a temporary workaround but you will need to Update/ Repair the launcher as the client may not work when they next update and it mean the data may not be installed correctly now and cause issues.

I suggest to backup the existing install and have a another go now and see if it is working properly or follow the instructions for Cancel Repair.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just to follow up, I just had an update to the launcher, but it still says "install".
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    Just to follow up, I just had an update to the launcher, but it still says "install".
    Then you need to Backup the current install (possibility it gets wiped by Launcher) Then do the Cancel/ Repair workaround posted above (start Install > let it create temp files (no actual download via net) once it starts the actual download Pause then click Cancel in Options (top right corner cog icon). Hopefully now it will shows Repair option under Game Options. If not repeat and wait a little longer second time.

Repair should come up the let it verify and update some small files (mac client and something else) and Complete. Unfortunately it is not a precise process and sometimes Repair does not show but it is the way to fixe. Or there is an full install someone posted which will allow it to work.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled the whole thing, just to make sure.

It still weirds me out that ZOS weren't able to fix this with a patch, or is that not technically possible?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled the whole thing, just to make sure.

It still weirds me out that ZOS weren't able to fix this with a patch, or is that not technically possible?
    Problem at the moment there is not single issue and different workarounds for each. I understand they are working on the Launcher. They did update it over the weekend which resolved a few issues it seems but quite a few still remain. Also, there are issues related to user network (firewall, router, college etc) which cause a problem not within the actual app.

It's still early days so I expect they will get them sorted over time.