Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Maelstrom Drops

• Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The RNG is more evil than Molag Bal and Delores Umbridge combined. It may, in fact, be their hate child.
  • XxCaLxX
    XxCaLxX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve ran vma probably 200+ times and have never gotten an inferno. Only gotten one resto. Neither of those do I need so not complaining but to get numerous amounts of one kind and never see another kind drop is kinda odd even with this rng
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To start off, I don't mean for this to come across as a bratty thread, I'm genuinely curious about whether the drop rate for the Inferno staff is actually on par with the other staves. I'm a magicka DK dunmer (not that it matters, I hope), and these are the 23 drops I've received from Maelstrom:

1x axe (one-hand)
    2x battle axe (two-hand)
    3x bow
    1x dagger
    3x greatsword
    3x ice staff
    2x lightning staff
    2x maul
    2x restoration staff
    1x shield
    3x swords (one-hand)
    0x inferno staff

Not a single inferno staff, the only weapon that I actually need from Maelstrom. Can anyone please confirm what the drop rate for the Inferno staff is? It's just mindblowing that I get multiple lightning, resto, and ice staves, but not a single inferno staff, like its drop rate is much lower than all the rest - and of course, the majority of the drops I receive are stamina weapons which I'll never use. I don't enjoy Maelstrom Arena (at all) and it's a real kick in the teeth pouring hours into farming the arena just to get every single weapon but the one you'll actually have use for. I'm surprised there's no "select your weapon after your 20th or 30th or 100th run", but that's probably a topic for another thread. In any case if anyone has any info on the Inferno Staff drop rate, or if a Dev can confirm, I'd be super appreciative, thanks!

I got the inferno staff in my first few clears, and what I really wanted was something else.

But these weapons will be dead anyway come Summerset. Unless the devs make some changes.
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got inferno's like water, but over 80 runs for my first shock stave. Not one dagger in almost 250 runs. thank god for transmute. Please zos make vma weapons worthwhile again!
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 runs total so far... 1 sharp Ice, 2 Restos back to back, dual Swords one sharp other precise?, Nirn Greatsword, Nirn Maul, Axe and Mace (one sharp), Battleaxe today no idea of trait.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    [Snip]

[Snip].

Anyway, thanks everyone for taking the time to share your insights on the Inferno staff drop rate, I appreciate it, it definitely kept me motivated! I kept at it and finally got the Inferno Staff, and the Flawless Conqueror title in the same run! Take care all and thanks again.

[Edited for quote]
    [Edited to remove flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on May 23, 2018 12:24PM
  • GawdSB
    GawdSB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, I remember when transmutation wasn't a thing and sharpened was the go to trait. Imagine running VMA trying to get the exact weapon you want then.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    have runned vma for 2 years now, still no lighting staff xD
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GawdSB wrote: »
    Lol, I remember when transmutation wasn't a thing and sharpened was the go to trait. Imagine running VMA trying to get the exact weapon you want then.

I don't have to imagine. I lived it! :D
  • Neyane
    Neyane
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've ran it a couple of times:
    2x bow, 1 s+b, 1 two handed, 1 dual wield and 1 lightning staff. Wanted the lightning staff so I'm never going in there again. :D
    The most important thing in life is enjoying yourself.
    810+, love trials and dungeons, achievement hunter ♥
    Stormproof on 9 characters and more to come~ Flawless on MagSorc & MagPlar ♥
  • Blud
    Blud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To start off, I don't mean for this to come across as a bratty thread, I'm genuinely curious about whether the drop rate for the Inferno staff is actually on par with the other staves. I'm a magicka DK dunmer (not that it matters, I hope), and these are the 23 drops I've received from Maelstrom:

1x axe (one-hand)
    2x battle axe (two-hand)
    3x bow
    1x dagger
    3x greatsword
    3x ice staff
    2x lightning staff
    2x maul
    2x restoration staff
    1x shield
    3x swords (one-hand)
    0x inferno staff

Not a single inferno staff, the only weapon that I actually need from Maelstrom. Can anyone please confirm what the drop rate for the Inferno staff is? It's just mindblowing that I get multiple lightning, resto, and ice staves, but not a single inferno staff, like its drop rate is much lower than all the rest - and of course, the majority of the drops I receive are stamina weapons which I'll never use. I don't enjoy Maelstrom Arena (at all) and it's a real kick in the teeth pouring hours into farming the arena just to get every single weapon but the one you'll actually have use for. I'm surprised there's no "select your weapon after your 20th or 30th or 100th run", but that's probably a topic for another thread. In any case if anyone has any info on the Inferno Staff drop rate, or if a Dev can confirm, I'd be super appreciative, thanks!

Is it fun enough to go through again and again? Serious question.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »

1x axe (one-hand)
    2x battle axe (two-hand)
    3x bow
    1x dagger
    3x greatsword
    3x ice staff
    2x lightning staff
    2x maul
    2x restoration staff
    1x shield
    3x swords (one-hand)
    0x inferno staff

I got the inferno staff in my first few clears, and what I really wanted was something else.

But these weapons will be dead anyway come Summerset. Unless the devs make some changes.

Back bar VMA bows and staves are still very much a thing in PVE. You go 5/5/2 on front bar and 5/3/2/1 on the back bar. I am not sure any front bar arena weapons will survive in Meta builds, but people will still find ways to make use of a few things.
  • XxCaLxX
    XxCaLxX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blud wrote: »

1x axe (one-hand)
    2x battle axe (two-hand)
    3x bow
    1x dagger
    3x greatsword
    3x ice staff
    2x lightning staff
    2x maul
    2x restoration staff
    1x shield
    3x swords (one-hand)
    0x inferno staff

I honestly despise vMA. I have ran it a lot to get weapons and stuff. I only run it once a week now to get leaderboard reward. I hate some of the mechanics. While easy after practice they’re still annoying. Love it or hate it if you want weapons it’s a farm. With 2h changes though I imagine the desire for bow/staff won’t be as much and considering those are pretty much the only weapons worth the time I see a lot of ppl just giving up on them.

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blud wrote: »

1x axe (one-hand)
    2x battle axe (two-hand)
    3x bow
    1x dagger
    3x greatsword
    3x ice staff
    2x lightning staff
    2x maul
    2x restoration staff
    1x shield
    3x swords (one-hand)
    0x inferno staff

My 2 Cents: For a while, yes it was. Especially shortly after release when the progression was real. I will fully acknowledge that this place made me a far better player. One thing I have always enjoyed in this type of game is mastering content. You start by just trying to clear, and then you work on strats to improve. You learn what mechanics can be ignored and what mechanics must be respected. You then start to see your time and score improve. And to me, that is very enjoyable, but only to a point.

Like any video game content, once the challenge is completely removed, the enjoyment follows shortly thereafter. The biggest problem for VMA, especially at launch, was that for many people, the enjoyment disappeared long before they had weapons they were after.
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bad luck. I have only run it 6 times and got Inferno, Lightning, Bow, 2x 1h and shield, Ice stave.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LMAO at 23 clears.

Call me at 230...

Sorry if that makes me sound like an ass, but you havent even scratched the surface of that place. Also, its just RNG. Once I broke the seal and got my first sharp inferno, I got my second one on the following run, and another about 3 runs later. I got a precise inferno relatively early on (before trait change), but I had about 200 runs under my belt before I got a second one (which happened to be sharp). With trait change, this place is a shell of its former self in terms of the grind.

In other news, once trait change dropped, I deconed all but 6 of each weapon type to save. At that time, I still didnt have a sharp Bow (BIS at the time), but had I think 11 or 12 precise ones and close to 25 total.

Thankfully those changes happened. I still haven't seen a sharpened inferno in 250-300 runs.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• MarleyRain
    MarleyRain
    ✭✭✭
    I just started trying to clear it maybe 2 weeks ago, since I have cleared it 4 times. 2 greatswords, 2 bows. Lol I'm going to keep trying even though the staves might not be as important once console gets summerset. I did get better and better every run, actually got to the last round with lives left last night.
  • CerebralNoise
    CerebralNoise
    ✭✭
    Just bad RNG man. I got a sharpened inferno on my first clear lol (don't hate me please)

But I have yet to have a lightning staff drop in 15+ runs, it happens.
    PC/NA

Raelisan - AD MagNB
    Visceralie - EP StamNB

• Paganini
    Paganini
    ✭✭✭
    Something around 170 runs and no flamestaff seen..
  • Massive_Stain
    Massive_Stain
    ✭✭✭✭
    People who ran it 300+ times like myself to get their first destruction staff know what the grind truly was. 23 times is absolutely nothing.
    PC: CP 1200+ DroDest, Bringer of light
    PS4: CP 1500+ Dro Dest, SoTN, Bringer of light, CragHMs, EoF, IR, TTT
    Xbox: CP 450 Fungal Grotto 1 HM
  • frozzzen101
    frozzzen101
    ✭✭✭✭
    Odds for any trait inferno are 1:18.
    With your 23 runs you had 73.14% of getting it if my math is correct. So you just out of luck and ended up in that ~27% of people who wouldn't have it after 23 runs. Best of luck getting it in next runs.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just RNG. My inferno dropped within five runs. I had lightning, inferno, bow, dw and resto within 15. Never got a good 2H though...
  • mikove
    mikove
    Soul Shriven
    My loot so far:

3x axe (1h)
    4x battle axe (2h)
    2x bow
    4x dagger
    5x greatsword (2h)
    3x ice staff
    4x lightning staff
    6x maul (2h)
    5x mace (1h)
    6x restoration staff
    5x shield
    3x swords (1h)
    0x inferno staff

Guess which weapon I'm after...
    Edited by mikove on June 1, 2018 10:47AM
  • ReachHalo
    ReachHalo
    ✭✭✭
    Ran vMA less than 20 times. Have picked up an inferno staff, 2 lightning, 3 restro... only weapons i see myself needing... but i love the place, and will keep running it
  • Zodiac_
    Zodiac_
    ✭✭✭
    Its RNG, eventually you will get an inferno

At least now with transmutation implemented in game you wont have to run it for 300+ times to find the right weapon AND trait at the same drop.....
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Still waiting for my MA Inferno stave to drop (I have 2 lighting staves, 2 bow, and 2 sets of mace and shield). Its frustrating but I cant wait to freak out when one finally does drop or I get one from weekly rewards. RNG sucks but it also makes things so rewarding when the stars finally align. GLuck
  • Splattercat_83
    Splattercat_83
    ✭✭✭✭
    GawdSB wrote: »

Im just glad I kept all the crappy Maelstrom weapon traits. Now I never have to run it again, unless Im farming transmute crystals lol.
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Idk how many times I have cleared vMA - maybe 50 to 60 times between my mDK main and mNB, I would think.

I have at least one of every weapon from the chests and the leader board mails, but I tend to get stam weapons - especially bows and one handed weapons.

Most importantly, I have two inferno staves - which is the weapon I was looking for in there.

I have three lightning staves - two are infused. They are very helpful for the upstairs boss in vHRC and for waving at mag sorcs in my trials guild who don't have one.

It's still BIS for mag sorcs or so I'm told:smiley:
    Edited by AndyMac on July 30, 2018 9:03PM
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • Diddly_D_Potatoes
    Diddly_D_Potatoes
    ✭✭✭
    I'm convinced that tge Winterborn rings don't exist. I could build a house with the staves I've chopped up. I'm still waiting on my precious.

my-precious2.jpg
  • depravity_influence
    i know this is an old thread but im throw my 2 cents in im go in and try to get a greatsword maybe i can fool rng in giving me what i want.
This discussion has been closed.