The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bosmer and fire for cooking

Aethereal'Golden
Aethereal'Golden
✭✭✭
Anyone know what they do with meat? How can they roast it, for example, or boil it - if they need logs and fire to cook and they can't harm the forest? I remember a bosmer alchemist in ESO who used dead flowers for his weak potions. I wonder if that means that they can use deadwood for camping fires?
  • Enokariel
    Enokariel
    ✭✭✭
    Bosmer can use wood - if it is dead wood already fallen - they mat not chop down living trees, cut branches from living trees, when they use what found dead it is OK.
  • WhiteNoiseMaker
    WhiteNoiseMaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am also pretty sure the specific restriction is upon the plants of the Valenwood... they do import lumber from nonsacred forests if I recall correctly?

Also I am sure there are other fuel sources like coal and charcoal, which other races would supply?
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trees and brush die regularly everywhere. Other sources can be burned as well. Like coal in forges could also cook fuel. Bosmer can't harm the forest but that does not mean they cannot use its produce. Think more like a natural cycle
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe also hot stones......can cook on those :)

EDIT: you would need a fire to do that!....DUH! lol
    Edited by Chaos2088 on June 20, 2018 9:18AM
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    According to a loading screen from Dead_Man's Drop, they use coal and kindlepitch:

Thanks to the Green Pact, the more industrious Wood Orcs of Valenwood have prospered by mining coal and kindlepitch and selling it to the Bosmer, who won't cut down trees for wood to burn, but still need to fire their forges. Dead Man's Drop is one such mine.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dropped dead branches etc. would be no problem. They'd burn better anyway.

I've always assumed that Bosmer would eat fruits, as well, as that's what the plants intended. A lot of plants propagate by passing their seeds through herbivores.
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can also use dung as fuel and I'm sure that they do.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can always use fire magic to cook.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether the use of deadwood is allowed or not, depends on the local interpretation of the green pact. Some Bosmer say it's okay as long as it's not from the Valenwood, others say no matter where it's from, it's not allowed.
    My guess would be flint stones + fur + animal fat/bugs to get the fire going and then maybe deadwood or coal, as Adriant pointed out already.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to vaguely recall in sone quest that a lot of the houses have some sort of liquid for fire going into the house and you used that to cause an explosion? I think in a vinedusk quest possibly western Reaper's March.

You can also burn dung. But it's smelly
    Edited by LMar on July 3, 2018 12:38PM
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found the quest, but the thing I mentioned wasn't for cooking fires. Rather it is sap that comes up to warm the houses

ehBbRh9.png

kk4bUUi.png

mRFXWW4.png
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am also pretty sure the specific restriction is upon the plants of the Valenwood... they do import lumber from nonsacred forests if I recall correctly?

Also I am sure there are other fuel sources like coal and charcoal, which other races would supply?

Not only do the Bosmer import lumber from other Races, theyve killed for it. In the 3rd Era bandits on the Valenwood-Elsweyr border raided lumber caravans, and the Wood Elves straight up went to war with the Khajiit over it. Butchered thousands before the Khajiit pushed them back.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone who has their own (little) garden with a tree in it will know, that you always use dead wood - it burns better. So you gave yourself the answer already. Very simple, not complicated. :smile:
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kelces wrote: »
    Everyone who has their own (little) garden with a tree in it will know, that you always use dead wood - it burns better. So you gave yourself the answer already. Very simple, not complicated. :smile:

Technically, most people that make fires harvest live trees. Just have to wait for it to dry out. Everyone knows you use deadwood. Its about where they would get it ;)
  • Beamer_Miasma
    Beamer_Miasma
    ✭✭✭
    Eskimos live in an area with no wood whatsoever, they traditionally used animal fats and oils together with a 'wick' made out of animal hide to fuel their cooking and heating fires. Basically the same principle as an oil lamp but with a much larger wick. Also keep in mind that in the 18th century, the main fuel source for lamps all around the world was whale oil (which is the main reason why whales have gotten rather scarce in modern times) so using animal materials to make fire is not unprecedented.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Not only do the Bosmer import lumber from other Races, theyve killed for it. In the 3rd Era bandits on the Valenwood-Elsweyr border raided lumber caravans, and the Wood Elves straight up went to war with the Khajiit over it. Butchered thousands before the Khajiit pushed them back.

Those guys were probably keeping down the stray cat population (sorry!)
    Eskimos live in an area with no wood whatsoever, they traditionally used animal fats and oils together with a 'wick' made out of animal hide to fuel their cooking and heating fires. Basically the same principle as an oil lamp but with a much larger wick. Also keep in mind that in the 18th century, the main fuel source for lamps all around the world was whale oil (which is the main reason why whales have gotten rather scarce in modern times) so using animal materials to make fire is not unprecedented.

I go with this. There is a lot of Gall and Oil from the animals in Valenwood areas like trolls. Also Mammoth fat. Also those Shalk bugs.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom