The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to determine which set to put on the front bar or back bar?

pollywogs1970
pollywogs1970
✭✭
Hi everyone!

I have a very general question. How to determine which set to put on the front bar or back bar?

Thanks
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mix 'em.

My electro tank (and darned if I can recall offhand which two sets she uses - has dual weapons on one bar and sword and board on the other, with one from each set so swapping bars makes no nevermind.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is old information from when I was a dedicated 50+ player but probably still applies depending on your character and gameplay style.

For my main (DPS glass cannon) used to have all my preparatory/shield/DPS booster skills on the first bar to hit at the beginning of a fight, and then switch to the second bar for the actual battle. To aid the smooth transition I had the same weapon on both and the same Ultimate on both.

Another character I had was set up for solo PvE DPS on one bar and group PvE healer on the other.
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• pollywogs1970
    pollywogs1970
    ✭✭

For example, a set like Sunderflame, it is obvious I have to put it on my front bar. But other sets like Leviathan and Mora Tong, it is hard to figure out if I have to put them on the front bar or back bar.

BTW, I am Stamina DK.

Thank you :)

Edited by pollywogs1970 on July 18, 2018 4:12AM
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's a couple reasons, the main ones being:

- You backbar a set that has a long duration buff that you can easily trigger, so you switch bars, trigger, switch back and have the back bar buff continue to run.
    - You use your backbar for different situations (pvp comes to mind). For example you use a set with a strong defensive 5 piece and you switch over in case you need added defense.
    - You use the backbar to actually lose a 5-piece for a special weapon like a maelstrom lightning staff, placing elemental blockade for its unique bonus then go back to the front bar to take advantage of it with your full sets active.

Now that 2H weapons count for two set items, it is less useful to backbar a set, but it can still be a strong option.

Edit: For me, the decision criteria in regards to buff sets is mainly if I can maintain the backbar bonus with my standard playstyle.

A good example is BSW. The buff duration is long enough to try backbaring it, but due to the low proc chance I would have to stay on the backbar for longer than I want within my rotation. That brings down uptime and that means BSW needs to be front or double bared for me.

Other case with Lich. It triggers with 100% chance once I reach its trigger condition. I can selectively swap bars to trigger it and can go back immediately.
    Edited by Leandor on July 18, 2018 9:31AM
  • Caleb_Kadesh
    Caleb_Kadesh
    ✭✭✭
    There are many interesting and useful tips here, but the short answer is it has no effect which weapon you put on which bar. It is the grouping of the skills to which the above answers apply. Front bar and back bar are just terms to differentiate between one and the other.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we now all have the ability to go 5+5+2 we dont really need to have front and back bar sets any more. The whole set swapping thing was a workaround for staff and single weapon users who could not sport 5 5 2.

Now there maybe some builds that can work with this, but these would be combos of partial sets, like stacking all the 2/3 piece magic damage boosters (elegant, torugs, willpower, etc)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say you have a set (e.g. Relequen) which you NEED to attack once every 5 seconds to trigger it, you're likely going to want it on permanently as you may spend longer than 5 seconds on your back bar. Where as a set with a constant buff (e.g. Spriggans) could be front barred since it's active as soon as you swap to that bar and doesn't have to be built back up.

The current 'meta' for stamina is Relequen (20 stacks, lose after 5 seconds) and Beserking (5 stacks, lose after 5 seconds), in the case of this if you front barred Relequen you would lose 20 seconds worth of stacks, where as if you front barred Beserking you would only lose 5 seconds worth of stacks. So front barring Beserking is the least loss should it drop off which is what people will go for.

However the difference here is with sets like burning spell weave, where you get a buff for 8 seconds, then a downtime of 4 seconds. For this set you would front bar it, since you ideally want to be on your back bar during the 4 seconds downtime so essentially you aren't losing anything.

Doing this you can also control when the 8 seconds of spell damage procs (similar to the post about Lich above) and front barring it will give you 500 spell damage when you swap to your front bar, which is when you're doing the most damage where as if you had this active all the time you could proc this when you're on your back bar, which is when you're doing the least damage.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • pollywogs1970
    pollywogs1970
    ✭✭
    Thank you for all the useful information.

I have another question. From what I have read, I thought some sets only proc on the front bar?

Main Hand Axe of the Red Mountain
    Off Hand Dagger of the Red Mountain
    Main Hand Backup Bow of the Red Mountain

Head Valkyn Skoria's Helm (Heavy)
    Chest Jack of Unfathomable Darkness
    Shoulders Valkyn Skoria's Epaulets (Light)
    Waist Belt of Unfathomable Darkness
    Hands Bracers of Unfathomable Darkness
    Legs Guards of Unfathomable Darkness
    Feet Boots of Unfathomable Darkness

Neck Necklace of the Red Mountain
    Ring 1 Ring of the Red Mountain
    Ring 2 Ring of the Red Mountain

Is my current set ok with the front and back bar?
    Edited by pollywogs1970 on July 18, 2018 7:04PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 piece sets will proc on whichever bar you have the complete set on. A lot of people will use 3 pieces of armor and the staff will count for the remaining 2. Some sets lend themselves well to being active on one skill bar (not having this set staff on both bars), which allows for something like a Master, Maelstrom or Asylum Weapon on the other bar.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the useful information.

I have another question. From what I have read, I thought some sets only proc on the front bar?

Main Hand Axe of the Red Mountain
    Off Hand Dagger of the Red Mountain
    Main Hand Backup Bow of the Red Mountain

Head Valkyn Skoria's Helm (Heavy)
    Chest Jack of Unfathomable Darkness
    Shoulders Valkyn Skoria's Epaulets (Light)
    Waist Belt of Unfathomable Darkness
    Hands Bracers of Unfathomable Darkness
    Legs Guards of Unfathomable Darkness
    Feet Boots of Unfathomable Darkness

Neck Necklace of the Red Mountain
    Ring 1 Ring of the Red Mountain
    Ring 2 Ring of the Red Mountain

Is my current set ok with the front and back bar?

Yes... you have both 5pc sets active on both bars... front/back barring a set means you won't have the 5pc active on the other bar, for example if you're using a masters/maelstrom/asylum weapon.
    Edited by Sparr0w on July 19, 2018 9:01AM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • griffkhalifa
    griffkhalifa
    ✭✭✭✭
    People are giving very confusing answers and this doesn't need to be complicated.

Your sets should be active on each bar if you have set them up properly. The Summerset update made this a lot easier because 2H weapons count as two set items. This means you can run two five-piece sets and a monster set with 100% up time on everything, regardless of what bar you're on.

Edited by griffkhalifa on July 19, 2018 6:55PM
    PS4 NA
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    5 piece sets will proc on whichever bar you have the complete set on. A lot of people will use 3 pieces of armor and the staff will count for the remaining 2. Some sets lend themselves well to being active on one skill bar (not having this set staff on both bars), which allows for something like a Master, Maelstrom or Asylum Weapon on the other bar.

So a staff counts for 2 now? I didn't realize that.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that was a new change with Summerset. All two-handed weapons count for 2 set items now.