Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The bane of healers

jmido8
jmido8
✭✭✭
As a healer in ESO, it sucks not being able to cast heal while sprinting. I have let multiple teammates die because I'm trying to run towards them and heal before they get taken out. However, because i'm running, the heal never casts and I don't notice it until it's too late. Since this game focuses a lot on active dodge and reactions to game mechanics, my teammates are always running around and i'm always chasing after them trying to throw out heals. Even if casting a heal made me stop in place or slow down, that would be better than not doing anything at all when I press it during a sprint.

I also hate the random heal targeting. I admit, sometimes it's really useful just randomly pressing heal and healing the lowest guy but there's times where that really hinders the ability to heal. If one guy is at half hp and has the boss or mobs on him and it's obvious he's in the most danger and needs an immediate heal over the sorc sitting back with 25% hp, randomly giving the heal to the sorc because he's lower is going to kill this one guy. I also always try to give the tank a regen hp buff before he goes into battle but it never goes to the guy I want to give it to and I have to waste more magicka I can't afford to recast it another time or two.

So if you die and I'm the healer, sorry! I really was trying to save you.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of people have felt your pain. I am not a healer personally but there was a good discussion about ESO healing and some people posted some nice tips. http://tinyurl.com/ojw73w7

Hope this helps ;)
  • nlnj_a
    nlnj_a
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had too much experience yet with large group healing, but the best spells I find helpful (being a Templar) are the nice AOE heals that allow you to move and heal.
    There is one main Templar healing spell that heals everyone in the area and is one of the first abilities.
    The resto staff has a couple that are decent for single-a few targets but that one Templar ability helps the most since it heals everyone in the wide area.

If someone really wants to heal I advise being a Templar.
    Bow temp is also nice to solo with since you can easily keep the enemy at bay with some javs.
    Edited by nlnj_a on April 3, 2014 7:36PM
  • GaBacon
    GaBacon
    ✭✭
    Ok, i am actualy planning on healing in the game, i have not grouped yet and i was wondering how it works in this game.

Example: If everyone is taking damage and stuff and i want to cast heal on whoever, do i target them with the same old methods like using the F1 F2 F3 F4? or do you have to mouse over them and and press a heal spell and hope it hits your target and not someone else. Seems messy to me but im curious.
  • Know
    Know
    Nice link Hirion! I'm sure that will be useful later. Haven't done much healing yet, personally.

Regarding sprinting, though, perhaps people should know (and will learn) that sprinting at full speed away from the healer while badly wounded might be unwise?

Can't speak to random heal targeting, as I haven't really leveled my healer templar yet. I've not had any trouble targeting the basic heal though, as long as everyone isn't standing on top of one another.
    Persons appear to us according to the light we throw upon them from our own minds. -Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love and respect for healers. Its a pain in the butt at times. If you see me round, you'll know I'll never give you crap if something goes wrong ;)
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    Know wrote: »
    Regarding sprinting, though, perhaps people should know (and will learn) that sprinting at full speed away from the healer while badly wounded might be unwise?

That's true, but it is hard considering we don't have nameplates or markers to identify people. In the heat of battle, without a giant heart over my head or atleast a nameplate to identify me as your savior, it's going to be hard to find me when you're in immediate trouble, especially since i'm going to be dodging attacks and moving around as well.

Edited by jmido8 on April 3, 2014 7:45PM
  • Distrobomb
    Distrobomb
    ✭✭✭
    If you tell me you are heals in ESO I will block you.
    I survived the great ESO launch disaster 2014 B)
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    I am nearly a full time healer and I would hate it if skills could be used while sprinting. It would make the zergs in Cyrodiil unstoppable.

When it comes to getting the heals to where they are needed with my sorcerer I use the forks for Grand Healing and Blessing of Protection because they are AoE. Also the Restoration Staff skills are all heavy on HoT so I tend to cast my first AoE heal early and use Regeneration for maintenance due to it's low mackica cost.

Honestly, so far my biggest issue with most of the healer toons I have made has been magicka regeneration so I tend to make use of items, potions, and foodstuffs to enhance it.

Edit for grammar
    Edited by Lazarus_Long on April 3, 2014 8:05PM
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • lupusrex
    lupusrex
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you can do anything while sprinting, period. We can, however, run/walk/move during casting. That's already a heck of a lot more mobility than most healers in other games get. Just train yourself to let go of the sprint key before casting.
    Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
  • Thralgaf
    Thralgaf
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest bane of healers is the schizophrenic threat system. Through beta to release I STILL can't figure it out. I feel like I have a giant Kill Me sign pinned to my forehead. I can literally Stan still and not cast for 5 seconds and still get charged by bosses.
    Edited by Thralgaf on April 3, 2014 8:50PM
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well every player with a preconceived idea of class role is going to have to adapt in ESO. Wait until you get to VR content.
  • spinedoc
    spinedoc
    ✭✭✭
    It is kind of goofy that with a combat system oriented around dodging and running out of red zones we can't move with some healing spells.
  • Last_Epiphany
    Thralgaf wrote: »
    The biggest bane of healers is the schizophrenic threat system. Through beta to release I STILL can't figure it out. I feel like I have a giant Kill Me sign pinned to my forehead. I can literally Stan still and not cast for 5 seconds and still get charged by bosses.

Me too and can work out why. Pre hot's no Pre hot's it still happens. Just makes no sense. Stand there doing nothing and still get charged. Did Zen mess up the code and make it light armor=aggro?
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly have no problem with sprinting.
    I'm a more... involved healer. I am a little bit survivable so instead of staying at the back I usually try and stay in the very middle of all my group members, so I am always nearby all my group members.

The only time I am not able to heal a team mate is if they just... run off.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Budnick
    Budnick
    my biggest problem was being in a group and every member went to a different corner of the room to fight. or guy get hurt and run from you instead of towards you. I found healing very easy if I don't have to chase every group member with a different agenda.
  • Halcyen
    Halcyen
    My only complaint is that its hard, if not impossible, to cancel a casting spell. I'll start casting an AoE heal just in time to see a mob charging me with a power attack, and I'm unable to block or dodge.

I could be mistaken though, and simply not know how to cancel casting... but I haven't found a reliable way yet.
  • Lamprey
    Lamprey
    If you have group members running all over the place, then it's not a game mechanics issue it's a player issue.

I've not even grouped that much and I know that it takes coordination to be affective.
  • Zaggolf
    Zaggolf
    ✭✭✭
    Lamprey wrote: »
    If you have group members running all over the place, then it's not a game mechanics issue it's a player issue.

I've not even grouped that much and I know that it takes coordination to be affective.
    Well said.Healing is fine. Sounds like your group wants to solo.The range of these spells are to far, and they already do half your job by healing the most needed(as well as others in most cases). Understand most healers are use to point and click style of healing, but this makes healing alittle more exciting
    Fanboy's don't keep a game running! GAMER'S DO!!!