Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What Makes ESO Different (and freaking awesome)

whardisonb14_ESO
I was over on the 'Long Term Goal - Constructive Analysis " thread having a very nice discussion about potential features and the lasting power of the current structure of the game when something hit me.

What makes ESO different from other MMOs, and immensely enjoyable for me, is the lack of negative competition and player comparisons to drive play time. Most games use some sort of "I won" model to create 'social classes' of players. Causals get this. Hardcore raiders get that. PVPers get this other thing. They play on the human fear of missing out and envy to keep people signed up and/or buying.

ESO has changed that with a few, well-made decisions. Lack of auction houses and a farming based economy. A purposefully de-cluttered UI and lack of default nameplates. So far subdued, but still interesting, gear skins. These have all contributed to a shift away from peacocks and glowing unicorns dancing around armor sets.

The armor I make is usually better than any quest rewards or drops. Resources are plentiful but mastery is difficult. Your character choices are semi-static and with thousands of combinations and builds, there is literally no 'best' class or build.

Zenimax has gracefully made the STUFF YOU DO meaningful, not the STUFF YOU GET.

And I effing love them for it.

Edited by whardisonb14_ESO on April 3, 2014 9:17PM
  • whardisonb14_ESO
    Also, the guild structure lends itself to creating an overall community, not a few tribes competing with each other.