Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[PvE] Class distribution in trials (+bonus poll)

Asmael
Asmael
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
It's this time of the patch again, dust is settled, people follow the builds they'll stick to for the rest of the patch for most of them & it's server maintenance. Time for more data!

All data is obtained using https://esoleaderboards.com by finding how many occurences of each class there is for each trial via the source code.

Small note about Wardens: while they are the only class to be behind an additional paywall, there is good reason to believe that their popularity rate should be pretty close to the values below even if they were available, based on their use rate in the Halls of Fabrication trial in the previous patches where you were required to have Morrowind, thus both access to trial and the class.

Aetherian Archives
  • Dragonknight - 272 (20%)
  • Templar - 279 (20%)
  • Sorcerer - 304 (22%)
  • Nightblade - 489 (35%)
  • Warden - 44 (3%)
Hel Ra Citadel
  • Dragonknight - 243 (20%)
  • Templar - 262 (21%)
  • Sorcerer - 265 (21%)
  • Nightblade - 420 (34%)
  • Warden - 33 (3%)
Sanctum Ophidia
  • Dragonknight - 295 (21%)
  • Templar - 301 (22%)
  • Sorcerer - 304 (22%)
  • Nightblade - 444 (32%)
  • Warden - 49 (3%)
Dragonstar Arena
  • Dragonknight - 129 (24%)
  • Templar - 100 (18%)
  • Sorcerer - 108 (20%)
  • Nightblade - 191 (35%)
  • Warden - 17 (3%)
Maw of Lorkhaj
  • Dragonknight - 268 (22%)
  • Templar - 245 (20%)
  • Sorcerer - 237 (19%)
  • Nightblade - 435 (36%)
  • Warden - 34 (3%)
Halls of Fabrication
  • Dragonknight - 235 (20%)
  • Templar - 243 (20%)
  • Sorcerer - 242 (20%)
  • Nightblade - 437 (37%)
  • Warden - 35 (3%)
Asylum Sanctorium
  • Dragonknight - 102 (15%)
  • Templar - 118 (17%)
  • Sorcerer - 135 (20%)
  • Nightblade - 308 (47%)
  • Warden - 12 (2%)
Cloudrest
  • Dragonknight - 151 (21%)
  • Templar - 128 (18%)
  • Sorcerer - 95 (13%)
  • Nightblade - 333 (46%)
  • Warden - 23 (3%)
TOTAL
  • Dragonknight - 1695 (20%)
  • Templar - 1676 (20%)
  • Sorcerer - 1690 (20%)
  • Nightblade - 3057 (37%)
  • Warden - 203 (2%)

Finally, there is a poll attached to know if people would be interested in having more information made available to the community by the devs, including but not limited to: popularity of abilities, sets, classes in different environments (BGs / Cyro / ...)... allowing access to information as found above freely without the need to retrieve it manually. Feel free to state why, no matter what you choose.
Edited by Asmael on July 25, 2018 12:07PM
PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.

[PvE] Class distribution in trials (+bonus poll) 48 votes

Yes, I would be interested in having the extra information about the popularity of sets, abilities and such.
89%
PhilhypeDschiPeuntArrodisiabenoit_mmob16_ESOStroggnonimusWolfpawstreetmagicPalefangAarlurpod88kkAEAltadoonPadhomeforgottengdLadyNalcaryaMaverick_BrianJolipinatorraaphorThe_ProtagonistQbikenCerboltDarkdex 43 votes
No, I would not be interested in having the extra information about the popularity of sets, abilities and such.
10%
otis67Chrysa1isEctheliontnacilATomiX96weedgenius 5 votes
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I would be interested in having the extra information about the popularity of sets, abilities and such.
    This is now a nerf nightblade thread :trollface:
  • Stroggnonimus
    Stroggnonimus
    ✭✭✭
    Nice one Kitty ! It just shows how warden is stupid as concept imo. It tries to combine the strengths of DK tank, Temp heal, and be able to be DD, but being this jack of all trades it ends up being good at nothing. So it's use ends up very limited, because you can pickup Temp or DK or NB who will do same thing much better.
    Whoever said that argonians aren't sexy, is obviously not a sexy argonian.

OG Argonian tank

BLOOD FOR THE PACT !

• huschdeguddzje
    huschdeguddzje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magblade should be a benchmark for other classes
  • Arrodisia
    Arrodisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm wrong, but don't the leaderboards only post the top 100 player scores of each trial? That seems like an awfully small number to judge how often a class is played in them. I didn't see more than 100 when I looked around the site. Maybe I missed something, but if that's true and there are only 100 tops scores posted, it doesn't mean there aren't more of those classes doing the trials and succeeding. It would only mean they didn't get into the top 100, which might have been by choice or because of skill, not because the class is or isn't played often. Not everyone plays for rankings, but rather for fun times with friends or just farming gear pieces.

Edited by Arrodisia on July 25, 2018 12:44PM
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I would not be interested in having the extra information about the popularity of sets, abilities and such.
    Nah
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm wrong, but don't the leaderboards only post the top 100 player scores of each trial? That seems like an awfully small number to judge how often a class is played. I didn't see more than 100 when I looked around the site. Maybe I missed something, but if that's true and there are only 100 tops scores posted, it doesn't mean there aren't more of those classes doing the trials and succeeding. It would only mean they didn't get into the top 100, which might have been by choice or because of skill, not because the class is or isn't played often. Not everyone plays for rankings, but rather for fun times with friends or just farming gear pieces.

But it's enough to judge overall class performance.
    High scores are achieved by the most effective groups and for example the lack of wardens speaks volumes about their current pve performance.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe I'm wrong, but don't the leaderboards only post the top 100 player scores of each trial? That seems like an awfully small number to judge how often a class is played. I didn't see more than 100 when I looked around the site. Maybe I missed something, but if that's true and there are only 100 tops scores posted, it doesn't mean there aren't more of those classes doing the trials and succeeding. It would only mean they didn't get into the top 100, which might have been by choice or because of skill, not because the class is or isn't played often. Not everyone plays for rankings, but rather for fun times with friends or just farming gear pieces.

It's actually more than the top 100 players. I should have specified it, but esoleaderboards is based on ingame data, which itself contains the teams for the 100 best scores registered, so up to 1200 players per trial.

It does mean that anything below the top 100 scores isn't taken into account, sadly there is currently no realistic way to get the remaining data as a player.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should introduce race based leaderboards... :3
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Arrodisia
    Arrodisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just mho, but I think. You are trying to touch on too many subjects at once with this thread, performance, sets used, number of people per class in trials, being that it is a new class and a lot of people only recently bought morrowind with and without summerset, it is plausible people are still leveling their wardens and finding their own way to succeed.
    Edited by Arrodisia on July 25, 2018 12:55PM
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asmael wrote: »
    It's this time of the patch again, dust is settled, people follow the builds they'll stick to for the rest of the patch for most of them & it's server maintenance. Time for more data!

All data is obtained using https://esoleaderboards.com by finding how many occurences of each class there is for each trial via the source code.

Small note about Wardens: while they are the only class to be behind an additional paywall, there is good reason to believe that their popularity rate should be pretty close to the values below even if they were available, based on their use rate in the Halls of Fabrication trial in the previous patches where you were required to have Morrowind, thus both access to trial and the class.

Aetherian Archives
    • Dragonknight - 272 (20%)
    • Templar - 279 (20%)
    • Sorcerer - 304 (22%)
    • Nightblade - 489 (35%)
    • Warden - 44 (3%)
    Hel Ra Citadel
    • Dragonknight - 243 (20%)
    • Templar - 262 (21%)
    • Sorcerer - 265 (21%)
    • Nightblade - 420 (34%)
    • Warden - 33 (3%)
    Sanctum Ophidia
    • Dragonknight - 295 (21%)
    • Templar - 301 (22%)
    • Sorcerer - 304 (22%)
    • Nightblade - 444 (32%)
    • Warden - 49 (3%)
    Dragonstar Arena
    • Dragonknight - 129 (24%)
    • Templar - 100 (18%)
    • Sorcerer - 108 (20%)
    • Nightblade - 191 (35%)
    • Warden - 17 (3%)
    Maw of Lorkhaj
    • Dragonknight - 268 (22%)
    • Templar - 245 (20%)
    • Sorcerer - 237 (19%)
    • Nightblade - 435 (36%)
    • Warden - 34 (3%)
    Halls of Fabrication
    • Dragonknight - 235 (20%)
    • Templar - 243 (20%)
    • Sorcerer - 242 (20%)
    • Nightblade - 437 (37%)
    • Warden - 35 (3%)
    Asylum Sanctorium
    • Dragonknight - 102 (15%)
    • Templar - 118 (17%)
    • Sorcerer - 135 (20%)
    • Nightblade - 308 (47%)
    • Warden - 12 (2%)
    Cloudrest
    • Dragonknight - 151 (21%)
    • Templar - 128 (18%)
    • Sorcerer - 95 (13%)
    • Nightblade - 333 (46%)
    • Warden - 23 (3%)
    TOTAL
    • Dragonknight - 1695 (20%)
    • Templar - 1676 (20%)
    • Sorcerer - 1690 (20%)
    • Nightblade - 3057 (37%)
    • Warden - 203 (2%)

Finally, there is a poll attached to know if people would be interested in having more information made available to the community by the devs, including but not limited to: popularity of abilities, sets, classes in different environments (BGs / Cyro / ...)... allowing access to information as found above freely without the need to retrieve it manually. Feel free to state why, no matter what you choose.

i would sign-up for an email list for this!

my poor poor main...i picked the wrong class when i started this game.
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • jbjondeaueb17_ESO
    jbjondeaueb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of trials : 2 DKs tanks, 2 Templars healers.
    Without that, you have almost no chance to see them in trials as DDs, more than Wardens for only 2 reasons : they're played for a much longer time than Wardens by players, Warden is beyond a paywall.
    Pain-Healer - Argonian Templar Healer (EP) - Immortal Redeemer - Gryphon's Heart
    Guild : Ghosts and Goblins Target Dummies
    Players know me as Jeban
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just mho, but I think. You are trying to touch on too many subjects at once with this thread, performance, sets used, number of people per class in trials, being that it is a new class and a lot of people only recently bought morrowind with and without summerset, it is plausible people are still leveling their wardens and finding their own way to succeed.

The sample group consists of people who raid regulalry and you pretty much have to buy newest raid content to do so.
    If so many experienced players cant succeed with wardens, then of course it doesnt mean that you cant use this class for casual dungeons and questing, but it means that its upper limit is lower than the upper limit of other classes.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% or more of those nightblades are probably magblades
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Kuwhar
    Kuwhar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might roll a warden, finally be part of the 1% crowd.

Thats how it done kids; aim low
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These results are very interesting. Looks like Sorcs, Templars, and DK’s are all about right, 1/5 or 20%.

Seems like a few changes to Warden that would encourage a few nightblades to switch classes would solve this imbalance. In my experience, Magblades are preferred for their high single target DPS from range, and their ability to output healing while doing damage. Warden could definitely use a DPS buff, but they won’t be needed in raids without the group utility. If Warden could also get some off-healing on their DPS skills this would earn them a few spots on raid teams. I don’t mean skills like Lotus, Seeds, Mushrooms, or Forest (these are a DPS loss to slot or cast). I mean add some passive healing to things like Winters Revenge (similar to refreshing path) or Cliff Racer (similar to Funnel health). Shalks or Swarm would also be good possibilities, and would keep Warden and NB from becoming too similar.

I don’t think Wardens should just get a passive buff that affects everyone. Sorcs have this with Minor Prophecy and conduit and it leads to raid groups just wanting 1-2 Sorcs max. In the current meta there is a benefit from each additional Nightblade added to the group.
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is only going to help keep DKs pigeonholed as tanks and Templars pigeonholed as healers and Wardens pigeonholed as whatever they are supposed to be.