Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Toxic community?

• menathradiel
    menathradiel
    ✭✭✭✭
    jhall03 wrote: »
    I get annoyed that everything is a considered a community now and if there are a few a holes out of thousands of people it’s “toxic”

ESO has a playerbase that is, overall, very helpful and friendly. But just like any other game/activity/sport, etc. with thousands of people participating, there will be people with different viewpoints and playstyles.

I would consider forum users a “community” more so than all of the ESO playerbase, and this community is not toxic.

This. A few trolls out of thousands does not make the whole community toxic. There's far too much willingness to judge the whole userbase by the actions of a limited few, imho.
    Tank Girl
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear lots of complaints of people saying this game has a toxic community and aside from pve elitist (that ive rarely encountered ) and competitive pvpers ive never known this game to have anything but a friendly helpful community atleast on ps4. what are your opinions ?

People on forums tend to do that. Go to every games forum and its still the same trashtalk. Like how the game is the most toxic, how devs lazy and incapable, how its no skill, how devs are illuminati... Gets boring after a while.

• What_In_Tarnation
    What_In_Tarnation
    ✭✭✭✭
    The community has its own defense mechanism which make me think this community isn't better than others community. It surprises me everytime when someone say something bad about this game, then there'll always someone jump out and say "you need to check x game, it's way worse than this game."

I mean, I get it, I have seen players defend the games they love with the same method (attack other games and tryna make this game looks good), but I have never seen a community use the same method again and again so many times like ESO community before. And some of them (tbh I would say lots of them) are being really toxic toward to other mmos for no reasons.

Edit: And so far this community is the one who toss about elitism around so frequently from my mmos experiences and yet it didn't seem elitism at all. So many players abused elitist/elitism for weird reason or just being ignorant at all tbh
    Edited by What_In_Tarnation on July 21, 2018 1:16PM
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO's community is pretty decent. Not the best I've experienced, but far from the worst. Zone chat at certain times of the day is...not great, but for the most part, I leave the window open. People seem to be generally nice about answering any newbie questions, and I've seen a few people go out of their way to help.

I usually expect forums to be a little spicy and adversarial-- where else do people go to air their grievances or frustrations? What any dev has to worry about is when those posts dry up. People who complain care, people who stop complaining quit.
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zone chat = über-toxic.

Actual community (i.e., individual players & guilds), hardly at all...outside of trials tryhards and pvp, of course.
  • menathradiel
    menathradiel
    ✭✭✭✭
    The community has its own defense mechanism which make me think this community isn't better than others community. It surprises me everytime when someone say something bad about this game, then there'll always someone jump out and say "you need to check x game, it's way worse than this game."

I mean, I get it, I have seen players defend the games they love with the same method (attack other games and tryna make this game looks good), but I have never seen a community use the same method again and again so many times like ESO community before. And some of them (tbh I would say lots of them) are being really toxic toward to other mmos for no reasons.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but how is telling you to not compare this game with other games "toxic" in terms of this game's community. I would have no problem with someone telling you to stop such a comparison. If you like that other game so much, go play it. It's not about being "toxic" to other mmos, it's about recognising that this game is not that game, and so the comparison and accompanied whinge is rather pointless. If you like x game so much better, why spend your time here complaining instead of playing the game you obviously prefer?
    Tank Girl
  • What_In_Tarnation
    What_In_Tarnation
    ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but how is telling you to not compare this game with other games "toxic" in terms of this game's community. I would have no problem with someone telling you to stop such a comparison. If you like that other game so much, go play it. It's not about being "toxic" to other mmos, it's about recognising that this game is not that game, and so the comparison and accompanied whinge is rather pointless. If you like x game so much better, why spend your time here complaining instead of playing the game you obviously prefer?

It's not really "I love another game so you can't judge it at all", it's more like some of players will pop-out and attack other games for no reasons. I've seen such things happened so many times not just on forum, game and some videos. I think my brain can still functional good enough with legit comparions and "Omg that x game sucks" without any further context for "why?".

Edited by What_In_Tarnation on July 21, 2018 1:13PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear lots of complaints of people saying this game has a toxic community and aside from pve elitist (that ive rarely encountered ) and competitive pvpers ive never known this game to have anything but a friendly helpful community atleast on ps4. what are your opinions ?

You're lucky if you have only rarely encountered pve elitists. I's guessing you don't use the group finder very often. But then again I play on the PC. So maybe that makes a difference.
  • Enzym3
    Enzym3
    ✭✭
    It can be toxic just like any other game, I can tell you for sure that not a single day has gone by where I haven't read something so unbelievably racist or just as bad and other completely unhelpful things, especially see this in Cyrodiil. I Pretty much completely ignore the zone chat as a result.

Having said that, also just like any other game it has a lot of helpful people as others have mentioned and it can be a lot of fun because of that, most games that I continue to play for years are because of the people i play them with.
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the players I see as "toxic" tend to congregate to specific aspects of the game. I just avoid those things and it hasn't been a problem for me since.

I'm grateful I found a guild of awesome folks that isn't just there for access to a trader or the extra bank space.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "toxic"
    I hate this word so much.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WNxSiv wrote: »
    It can be toxic just like any other game, I can tell you for sure that not a single day has gone by where I haven't read something so unbelievably racist or just as bad and other completely unhelpful things, especially see this in Cyrodiil. I Pretty much completely ignore the zone chat as a result.

Having said that, also just like any other game it has a lot of helpful people as others have mentioned and it can be a lot of fun because of that, most games that I continue to play for years are because of the people i play them with.

Yeah that’s what I was saying it’s a two sided coin, albeit people pretend like it’s only one sided. You’ll get both all depends on who you’re dealing with and who you are. For example as soon as people find out you’re black or a minority you should see some of the comments made.

• ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    We have removed some posts in this thread that were hostile and disruptive. Please keep your posts civil and constructive.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • NickStern
    NickStern
    ✭✭✭
    Three sides to every story....

Yours ..... The truth ..... Theirs
    Edited by NickStern on July 21, 2018 7:30PM
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s not too bad. There are some whiny squeakers in Cyrodiil, but that happens in all games.

The forums can be bad, but don’t represent any significant portion of the community.

There are a few posters here that are completely cringeworthy.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

On PC/NA I don't think that the game itself or even the players are particularly "toxic." The forums are a different animal.

PvP has been one of the least "toxic" aspects of the game that I've encountered.

I've seen some in PvE, but I wouldn't call them all "elitists." In fact, I'd say that it probably been the opposite in my personal experience. The people that are the most comfortable in their own skins can sometimes be the easiest to get along with.

Overall I don't think it's any more toxic than anything else and certain less toxic than my afternoon commute home would be if we had zone chat for that.

• Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I logged in last night in craglorn and developed several kinds of cancer and gangrene when the chat box loaded...
  • Tetrafy
    Tetrafy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly Ive met a few toxic individuals, but I don't take it too personally.
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    D0PAMINE wrote: »
    I like PC NA Cyrodiil chat. When you say goodnight, you get like 30 gnights back. Plus it can be hilarious in a silly way.

Goodnight John MonsterKiller Boy
    Goodnight Grandpa Shadowstalker
    Goodnight Granny Weatherwax
    Goodnight Big Jim Boobies
    Goodnight Mariannath Ellewynyl
    Goodnight everyo....Everyone logged out by buggy server.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hakan wrote: »

People on forums tend to do that. Go to every games forum and its still the same trashtalk. Like how the game is the most toxic, how devs lazy and incapable, how its no skill, how devs are illuminati... Gets boring after a while.
    This, now it changes for old games, Skyrim got loads of flack during preview and at the start.
    Forum has so many trolls it could be made an playable race as in WOW.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Vrany69
    Vrany69
    ✭✭✭
    Well to be honest the most toxic ones or toxic at all are the new players, I will light the candle of Zen for them!
    Edited by Vrany69 on July 22, 2018 5:03PM
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try playing Eve Online for a toxic community
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing MMOs since Everquest and I've noticed the general MMO population has become younger and more vile over the years. I think it's also reflective of parenting over the years because you can probably make that same argument with young adults in about every walk of life today, not just gaming.

That aside, I think EQ had the least toxic community and probably due to the large lack of PvP (I know pvp servers existed). I'm a majority pvp player here and admitting this. The competition between players and online "status" of our avatars seems to be the root of toxicity as insecure/immature youths look for reassurance and support from an online medium. You'll see a strong correlation between players who are mean to others and overall "toxic" to the gaming community also have RL issues with themselves and/family.

It's simply best to just realize that and feel bad for them, rather than let it get to you.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_RyanM wrote: »
    We have removed some posts in this thread that were hostile and disruptive. Please keep your posts civil and constructive.

Seems legit for a thread with this title... :smile:

I have noticed that people tend to go full nuclear when describing the actions of others. I don't think the community is anywhere close to being "toxic". Not here in the forum, and not online.

Are there rude and hateful people? Yes, there are. These are just annoying people, not unlike a handful of annoying people the average person might meet during the week in real life.

"Toxic" is the chosen response to these people, not what the annoying people bring to the table. In the end, it serves as a feedback loop that slowly increases the rudeness and hate, often from the very people complaining about it.

There are certain times when people cross the ToS line and need to be reported, though. If ZOS wills it, which I have to admit isn't clearly defined, then these people will be ejected from the community.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you consider toxic?
    #MOREORBS
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps4 NA often times the worst part of this game is it's players...
  • LifenLemons
    LifenLemons
    ✭✭✭
    Of all the games I've played so far, ESO is the most friendly and helpful. For that, I'll eat up those few bad apples. :)
    Occasional Online Opinionated Flyby Conversationalist // Part Time Coffee Addict // Hobosapien // Casual Gamer // SAST
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Best thing is to ignore people who getting funny over nothing or who are constantly negative. Life is too short, plus there is literally 101 things to do in this game that doesn't involve people who are not nice.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    for a multi-nations game, community is FREAKIN' AWESOME.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    neverwalk wrote: »
    for a multi-nations game, community is FREAKIN' AWESOME.

Well said. Ever played a FIFA drop in match with 10 or so players? If all you get is annoying players consider yourself lucky. Usually it’s people yelling awful racist nonsense while adult films play behind them at 99 volume.