Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Toxic community?

Shadyboss420
Shadyboss420
✭✭
I hear lots of complaints of people saying this game has a toxic community and aside from pve elitist (that ive rarely encountered ) and competitive pvpers ive never known this game to have anything but a friendly helpful community atleast on ps4. what are your opinions ?
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game has one of the least toxic communities going, full stop. There are rough patches - zone chat in certain areas, for instance - but players are phenomenally helpful, and can routinely be spotted going out of there way to help others.

It's not all a garden party, but I've never seen a game of this size even come close to having a community this pleasant.
  • worsttankever
    worsttankever
    ✭✭✭
    PS4 NA. 2 years ago I approached a stranger in game near an enchanting station, I asked if we could swap runes (the efficient way I read online to level enchanting). He crafted me some runes for free, gave me 1k to buy my first horse, and invited me to his guild. Super cool guy.

Only thing I don’t like PS4 NA, in game, is Craglorn zone chat that is racist and homophobic. Too frequent unfortunately.

I think forums are combative (I’m probably guilty of this too) bc squeaky wheel gets the grease, and we all want the game to be better.
    Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forums are more toxic than the game itself. And the forums used to be worse than they are now ... they're actually less poisonous now than they were over a year ago, thanks to (I suspect) better moderation.

• FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Show me a gaming community that isn't called toxic. :D
    If you ask me people are just way to thin-skinned these days.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • NorthernNightmare
    NorthernNightmare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen nothing but good things so far
    Compared to dead by daylight this community is as sweet as sugar on cheery pie
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t pay attention to zone chat and for the most part when I have responded to whispers in a fun hearted way even if someone’s mad; usually I find people are cool.

The people who do racist and homophobic comments I find are just low IQ people looking for attention. Don’t give them any.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak for console, but the NA PC community I find to be full of little pockets of awesome people kind of floating in a morass of rude, thoughtless, entitled, snotty, aggressive, just plain nastiness. You have to find the awesome ones and kind of hunker down, ignore zone chats in ANY area but especially the newbie areas and Craglorn and above all Cyrodiil, just don't even have zone chat turned on. Avoid hanging out in bigger cities if you don't have to, that's where the bored people who just want to start trouble tend to collect. Don't react to griefers, it just encourages them. Wayshrine to get away from mudball griefers and don't talk to or about them lest they figure out where you are and follow you.

I've met quite a lot of great people in this game and made new friends I hope will be lifelong ones. But compared to the two other MMOs I've played, this game's community in general is shockingly toxic. Not even the PvP bullies that scared me away from PvP for good in another game can compare to what I see on a daily basis in both PvE and PvP in this one.

Edited by Minyassa on July 20, 2018 11:39PM
  • Shadyboss420
    Shadyboss420
    ✭✭
    Oh yea i fogot cyrodiil zone chat is actually pretty bad expecially on dc
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I can't speak for console, but the NA PC community I find to be full of little pockets of awesome people kind of floating in a morass of rude, thoughtless, entitled, snotty, aggressive, just plain nastiness. You have to find the awesome ones and kind of hunker down, ignore zone chats in ANY area but especially the newbie areas and Craglorn and above all Cyrodiil, just don't even have zone chat turned on. Avoid hanging out in bigger cities if you don't have to, that's where the bored people who just want to start trouble tend to collect. Don't react to griefers, it just encourages them. Wayshrine to get away from mudball griefers and don't talk to or about them lest they figure out where you are and follow you.

I've met quite a lot of great people in this game and made new friends I hope will be lifelong ones. But compared to the two other MMOs I've played, this game's community in general is shockingly toxic. Not even the PvP bullies that scared me away from PvP for good in another game can compare to what I see on a daily basis in both PvE and PvP in this one.

Pretty much exactly the same on PS4 NA. Can't say much about that last part, I don't talk to much people, but the few I thought were decent turned out to be ones that added to the toxicity, hence why I don't even try anymore.
  • KeiruNicrom
    KeiruNicrom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most outspoken are toxic. This is a simple fact.

What do you do when something doesnt work the way you want it to? Complain as loud as possible until its changed.

What do you do when everything works well and you have no issue? Keep playing and having fun.

People will always be more toxic in a forum than in game for this reason. And unfortunately ZOS doesnt help. Lack of communication and an unwillingness to admit their faults throughout the years has made veterens jaded. The focus on new player experience and most content be extra through the crown store feels like (to many people though not all) like we are being extorted.

Toxicity exists. Adoration for this game exists. One is unfortunately louder than the other
  • jhall03
    jhall03
    ✭✭✭
    I get annoyed that everything is a considered a community now and if there are a few a holes out of thousands of people it’s “toxic”

ESO has a playerbase that is, overall, very helpful and friendly. But just like any other game/activity/sport, etc. with thousands of people participating, there will be people with different viewpoints and playstyles.

I would consider forum users a “community” more so than all of the ESO playerbase, and this community is not toxic.

• Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I've played since the beginning and I would have dropped the game immediately if I found it too toxic. The starter zone chat can be awful on both NA and EU servers, but I just shut down the box if it gets too bad. I've always tried to help players where I can and ignore any toxicity unless it crosses certain boundaries. In four years I've only had to report two players, so that's pretty good going I think. I've tried some other MMOs and have found them to be not necessarily more toxic but less helpful communities. It's been my experience in ESO that there'll be times when you think everyone's a tosspot and other times when we're all sitting around a campfire sharing sweetrolls and singing. In short, I think the good outweighs the bad. It's just the bad have bigger mouths.
    PC EU & NA
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s purely subjective to be honest and depends on who you are and what you do in the game. Some people it’s peachy for while others get hate/racists messages and rage messages. Plus people that aren’t helpful.

I’ve given randoms gold, mats, gear and even bought them high priced limited items. Those players can end up saying it’s a great supportive community. But players that received you’re terrible messages and no help might say the game is toxic.

One person can’t speak for everyone because your experience doesn’t equate to the truth.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    The forums are more toxic than the game itself. And the forums used to be worse than they are now ... they're actually less poisonous now than they were over a year ago, thanks to (I suspect) better moderation.

Honestly I would have to say that forums are about on par with the xbox na zone chats. Each has their bad moments and then there wondrous moments that puts a smile on your face. I have played a lot of mmo's and think eso is one of the better ones when it comes to communities. Even if I am a guildless person and solo quite a bit, it can be those breaks where interactions with others can leave a sort of deepening moment of sorts.
    Every mmo I have experienced has all had their toxic sorts, but those don't have to be the ones to break you.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh lordy. This community is Hello Kitty compared to WoW and RIFT back in the years I played them. Yes, there are some "breakouts" - but give me this community ANY day compared.... Serious.... I spent years posting on the WoW CSF, and well.... just.... wow. Sorry for the pun....
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You must not be EP op... lol non-toxic..
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    Show me a gaming community that isn't called toxic. :D
    If you ask me people are just way to thin-skinned these days.

Monster Hunter's community is leagues better than this one.
  • Chibs
    Chibs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every community claims that the game they play is more toxic than the rest for some reason, like it’s a contest for which game has the most d-bags. This game has the least toxic community of any game of this size. Sure, there are parts of the game that have toxic players, but what games don’t?
  • BuyMe500Pugs_Please
    I remember when i first got into a pvp zone for the first time last year and went into imperial city, I was a low level 15 Khajiit nightblade sword and shield using some of the soul magic skills lol, anyway i was just about to turn in a quest and this 660cp daggerfall guy uncloaked in front of me and I'm like oh no I'll lose the progress for the quest, well after like a 30 second stare down he just left without killing me. Don't remember your gamertag but I'm still so thankfull you never killed me, It's generally in some zone chat where people are being idiots but like 95% everyones ok
  • Rogue_Ghost
    Rogue_Ghost
    ✭✭✭
    I hear lots of complaints of people saying this game has a toxic community and aside from pve elitist (that ive rarely encountered ) and competitive pvpers ive never known this game to have anything but a friendly helpful community atleast on ps4. what are your opinions ?

Honestly, I don't have any experience with other MMO's - other than Final Fantasy Online. I may have originally came to ESO because I enjoy the stories, but the ESO community is one of the primary reasons I stay. Like others have mentioned, there are areas where people are kind of pricks; but those areas are few and far between and they normally don't stay that way for long.

Even the community within the forums is pretty damn good, considering. There are plenty of complaints, a lot of them for good reason, but I think everyone overall understands that it is just frustration from not being able to enjoy the game and genuinely step in to try and assist in whatever way they can.
    "Death smiles at us all. All one can do, is smile back."
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will return soon to continue my tales within the world of Nirn, I've took longer than usual break and your post caught my attention. The toxicity of certain forums and games are ultimately inevitable. There are and there shall always be ruffians out there with a goal to distrupt,upset,plague and harass other players. I'll be open, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Do not bother. Embrace it and enjoy the game in the fullest extent possible. You won't be able to escape,It does not matter where you go in real life or virtual imaginary world, there are toxic individuals. The "Helpful community" is a another tale to tell.How many times I've seen the similar statements and it turned out to be of very little help Same old song for the guilds as well. (; Report/Block , Do not engage and leave it behind,Gods be with thee,Vanya
    Edited by Vanya on July 21, 2018 2:24AM
  • Thunderknuckles
    Thunderknuckles
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree. ESO has, generally speaking, a very decent crowd of folks. Rift and SWTOR (PvP, anyway) had some serious elitist and toxic players. In TOR I'd get hate tells even before a match had started. LOL I mean like routinely. Here it's only once in a while. I *do* wish the PvP player base were less "secret society" about class builds and such.
  • Ragebull
    Ragebull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's great except for pvp, pve elitism, aggressive farmers, and anywhere people grind mobs
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the kind of people you run into comes down to its own sort of RNG. I used to be one of those people that swore off interacting with anyone in this game, but I recently decided to give it a try again. Got my mic out and started doing some PUGs. Everyone's been lovely so far. I could tell when someone was getting frustrated, but no one lashed out. Lots of 'thank you' and 'GG' going around, lots of patient waiting for others and understanding. And, no one's been ShOcKeD tHaT a WoMaN iS pLaYiNg A mAlE tOoN. It's been fun and pleasant!

Zone chat remains abysmal, though. So many racial pejoratives.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have toxicity in the community, but my overall experience has been, I believe, extremely positive.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    It can be toxic, go make a post about auction house or something and watch how many, really smart people who will belittle for even making the post while on the other hand bumping said dead topic. A basketball can be deflated, the question you should ask yourself is if you want to deal with it and how.
    Xbox One Na
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen some toxic, but I've seen a lot more helping hands than I've seen elsewhere.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found the majority of players in this game to be friendly & helpful. Even the forums aren't bad.. not what I would describe as toxic.. just a bit argumentative.. not such a bad thing!
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like PC NA Cyrodiil chat. When you say goodnight, you get like 30 gnights back. Plus it can be hilarious in a silly way.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I find end game and PVP folks far less 'toxic' than random farmers/lowbies *shrugs* I don't know why, but from my perspective they seem to salt around far more - very generally speaking.

Myself- I'm always having zone giveaways and pugging for funsies on my tank or healer just to kinda be around/be of assistance a little bit each day.

I also proudly wear Volunteer title xD when I'm doing this!
    Edited by Mureel on July 21, 2018 10:35AM