The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Pawpie is confused

Pawpie
Pawpie
I started in Morrowind and finished Vivec's quest line. Then I was summoned to Daggerfall for a Fighter's Guild quest. When on the pier, a hooded person told me to see the benefactor, when I went to see the benefactor, I was waylaid and murdered. I then did a quest line with the companions, where it appeared the next step was to attack Molog Bal with the King's crystal. When i got back into town the mages guild started me into a quest that now has both guilds supposed to attack Coldharbour. Are these parallel quest lines, should I do one before the other, wazzup?
PC NA

Best Answers

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quest lines for your Alliance, the Five Companions, the Fighters Guild, and the Mages Guild are all from the initial release of ESO, and were indeed designed to be played in parallel. Completion of the Five Companions storyline or the Alliance storyline leads to the attack on Coldharbour, but completion of both means it makes more sense.

Since you said that you were called to Daggerfall for the Fighters Guild quest, I'm assuming your alliance is Daggerfall Covenant - when you escaped from the Wailing Prison with the Prophet, you would have ended up on Stros M'Kai. Following the questline there starting with Captain Kaleen will eventually take you back to Daggerfall.

When in Daggerfall, you can do the first quest of the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild questlines, and also start the main storyline of Glenumbra, beginning with the quest given by the dog Giblets. This storyline eventually leads you through the whole zone, and you can pick up other side quests on the way, levelling up Fighters Guild and Mages Guild as you go by killing Daedra and finding Lorebooks. The end of the Glenumbra storyline then takes you to Stormhaven, where the process starts again. The storyline of Stormhaven takes you through the whole zone, and at some point you will pass through Wayrest, where you can pick up the second Fighters Guild and Mages Guild quest.

This continues all the way to the final Covenant zone of Bangkorai, where you will also find the final Fighters Guild and Mages Guild quests in Evermore. Completing the Covenant storyline in Bangkorai ends with a quest-giver telling you that there is a message from Vanus Galerion for you in the Mages Guild, which is where the questline to attack Coldharbour comes back into play.

You then go to attack Coldharbour alongside a bunch of people who you will have met during the course of the Covenant zone questlines, which hopefully will make a lot more sense than doing it straight away. Completing the storyline of Coldharbour then unlocks the final quest for the Five Companions, in which you go to attack Molag Bal. After that, the game directs you to complete the storylines of the Aldmeri Dominion and Ebonheart Pact (these are called Cadwell's Silver and Cadwell's Gold), which show you from the perspective of the other side how they ended up in the situation where you all band together to attack Coldharbour.

The way the game works means that the questlines are mostly open and not directly tied together, but knowing how the stories link up might help the whole thing to make more sense. This chart shows how each of the zone questlines, Guild quests, and Five Companions quests run in parallel: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Story_Quests#Quest_Map
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Answer ✓