The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Rune cage functioning as intended? (Break free)

Theignson
Theignson
✭✭✭✭✭
Sorry for another post about this, but I've read through most of the discussions about rune cage and still not clear on one thing: can you break free from it? I realize it is undodgeable/unblockable. But, I have "never" been able to break free from it.
My 2 PVP characters are stam DK and stam warden, 750 cp, one has 37 Warlord CP and the other has 66 (15 and 22% breakfree reduction), plenty of stamina.
Everyone knows mobility is key in PVP. If you stand in place for 5 seconds in Cyrodil during a battle, you'll die. Rune cage means being pinned down for 5 seconds and usually destroyed (I run between 28k and 30k health, heavy armor)
A high percentage of my Vivec NA deaths result from being rune caged, because I can't break free.
I've seen some people say RC break free is bugged but still 50/50 break free. I'd like to know if it is supposed to be unbreakable?
(BTW I have seen many people break free from my stone giant and fossilize spells)

Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
Glimson, Arcanist, Major
All EP/ PC NA
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me, its like the templar spear throw CC, sometimes I can break free right away, sometimes I cannot. Does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why or why not.
    Edited by Apache_Kid on July 18, 2018 3:11PM
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not supposed to be unbreakable and personally i don't have more issues with breaking Rune Cage than with any other CC break.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can absolutely break free from it, but CC mechanics are not working correctly sometimes, especially when it’s laggy. Mass Hysteria has the same issue for years now. It’s just that RC is the new hot topic everyone complains about now.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    You can absolutely break free from it, but CC mechanics are not working correctly sometimes, especially when it’s laggy. Mass Hysteria has the same issue for years now. It’s just that RC is the new hot topic everyone complains about now.

Spot on. Mass Hysteria has been like it from launch as far as i'm aware, so if its problematic (I've not experienced any issue) then I assume its had the same treatment. Both should be fixed, rather than just focus on RC.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can usually break free from Mass hysteria, but not always. I agree lag has something to do with it, in many of these large scale battles all skills cue up and in some cases hit 3 seconds or more later. Maybe I do sometimes break free from RC and only really notice the times I don't (because that is when I get slaughtered) -- ie a selection bias-- I will have to test it in a friendly duel.
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rianai wrote: »
    It is not supposed to be unbreakable and personally i don't have more issues with breaking Rune Cage than with any other CC break.

I agree with this. TTK is to short in this game for such a mechanic. It is fairly lame PvP when someone can just CC someone and kill them before they are even permitted to break free.

While zero skill is required I understand them using it since it is available. It just makes for bad PvP.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What server are you on? Lag does play a part in the break free portion of it, but if you're using an odd combination of buttons to CC break that could over complicate things.

To echo other posters, I too don't have a problem with breaking the stun on PS4 NA. I just firmly tap the L1+R1 buttons together and the character immediately gets out.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on PC NA, definitely a lag fest in prime time :)
    Maybe I should re-map my break free button ( I use mouse right click for bash and break free). However, it works ofr other CC's so hard to see how that could be the issue.
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    Range is the issue for Rune Cage. Most stuns are around melee range. Throwing one from 40 ft away is the reason it's so prevelant.
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a delayed break free.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    I'm on PC NA, definitely a lag fest in prime time :)
    Maybe I should re-map my break free button ( I use mouse right click for bash and break free). However, it works ofr other CC's so hard to see how that could be the issue.

If you have a mouse with a free keybinding see if you can just bind CC break by itself onto on key stroke, then have your friend duel you on a Sorc + have them Rune Cage to see what happens.

On PC, you guys have a much easier time mapping out your options. I don't get that on console. There is a little thing called "Command Overlap" a term used in fighting games. I get this occasionally from L1 and R1 when I try to press both, I get either a skill or my ultimate(I want the ultimate). This is what I meant in terms of odd button combinations in my post. Lag is typically when I get a command overlap problem, which usually sucks.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on July 18, 2018 5:11PM
  • GawdSB
    GawdSB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can break free but it takes time for me most of the time. Its functioning is very buggy.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @idk

That ship has sailed. I was very much against the CC break costing a GCD (meaning CCer gets a free attack)

That was promptly snuffed out

Meaning, because they won't get rid of such mechanics, all need access to these mechanics
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    Rune cage works as intended!!! Take a knee for five seconds and take the curse, meteor, light attack, crystal frag and endless fury like a man! If you can’t survive that then you just need to L2P!!!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @idk

That ship has sailed. I was very much against the CC break costing a GCD (meaning CCer gets a free attack)

That was promptly snuffed out

Meaning, because they won't get rid of such mechanics, all need access to these mechanics

@Waffennacht sorry replying in a thread has upset you so much. I will strive to be less controversial.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @idk lol upset? Not even a little bit man :) you know my upsetness when I start saying stupid things that probably would get me banned lol.

More like, lamenting with you. Because I actually agree, but it's just not in the cards. At least as far as I know
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    callen4492 wrote: »
    Rune cage works as intended!!! Take a knee for five seconds and take the curse, meteor, light attack, crystal frag and endless fury like a man! If you can’t survive that then you just need to L2P!!!

Wrobel ?
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh - ny now, the list of Broken CC's are too long to list.

Wether it is due to lag or not, it clearly feels like a desync between your character status (stunned) and the actual animations and lock on your skills.

Rune Cage has the same "latency" issue as Reverb has. BUT with Reverb, it plays out a little different. For the first 0.5 Seconds, you don't even know you are stunned. You are just locked out of your bars. Then your character will do that weird shuffle dance, and then about 1.0 second after being effectively locked out of your bars, you will sit down on your knees, and THEN you can break free.

With Rune Cage, the same latency is much more clear, because the animation is instant. There is no delay, there is no little dance before kneeling. You go straight to your knees. BUT there is weirdly enough still that same 1 second delay or so, before you can break free.

But this is unfortunately the case for a long series of CC's. In todays ESO, the easiest CC to break for me personally, is Dizzy. It has a clear visual and no delay. 9/10 times, i will have CC broken before i even hit the ground.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runecage is breakable for me, but for some reason its slower to break free from it then say fear or other cc. Like 0.5s -1s slower.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raasdal wrote: »
    Meh - ny now, the list of Broken CC's are too long to list.

Wether it is due to lag or not, it clearly feels like a desync between your character status (stunned) and the actual animations and lock on your skills.

Rune Cage has the same "latency" issue as Reverb has. BUT with Reverb, it plays out a little different. For the first 0.5 Seconds, you don't even know you are stunned. You are just locked out of your bars. Then your character will do that weird shuffle dance, and then about 1.0 second after being effectively locked out of your bars, you will sit down on your knees, and THEN you can break free.

With Rune Cage, the same latency is much more clear, because the animation is instant. There is no delay, there is no little dance before kneeling. You go straight to your knees. BUT there is weirdly enough still that same 1 second delay or so, before you can break free.

But this is unfortunately the case for a long series of CC's. In todays ESO, the easiest CC to break for me personally, is Dizzy. It has a clear visual and no delay. 9/10 times, i will have CC broken before i even hit the ground.

That's a knock back vs kneel

Edit: Fear's animation is the worst, almost guaranteed no CC animation at all for a full sec. I usually only know to CC break via locked bars or movement. Actually this is also true of a lethal arrow CC desync.

Rune Cage and Fear both guarantee a hit during break. Petrify I believe so too.

Knock backs seems to be easier for me to break free from too.

Edit: as a console peasant lol, I can't really prove much
    Edited by Waffennacht on July 18, 2018 10:43PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Swimguy
    Swimguy
    ✭✭✭
    ive been stealthed for a second or two at time and then all of a sudden i get hit by rune cage and im confused as ***. happen a lot more right when i enter stealth.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's the range. I believe other CC has worked this way for a long time. You rarely really fight 1 v 1 in Cyrodil. Meaning there will be a line. A range CC is OP when we start to talk about big battles.
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »

I don't think its just that its the hot topic. It can land from max range which means you will see it more often than you will fear or petrify. The increase in prevalence in use correlates to an increase in bug occurrence.

The there are plenty of times a player would want to CC but is barely out of range of the opponent. Which results in spamming their CC mid combat for no result. That isn't an issue with Rune Cage, if you are out of range from Rune Cage you are out of range of virtually everything else damage outgoing or incoming.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..