Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Gaming Headset & Mic ?

chaz
chaz
✭✭✭✭
Oh hello Friends and fans alike.

Today, I like to ask for some suggestions. I'm kind of looking for something specific and was hoping someone with experience would be able to help guide me.

Ok, so It's coming up on that time again where I like to get another headset with Mic for online gaming. However I'm looking for something that best suits me.

I seen one the other day and tried it on, and it felt great however that said, the store clerk said it was for PlayStation only and would not work on PC. So my requirements are as follows:

Lightweight
Good sound
Good Mic
compatible
Color ranges Red, Blue, Black, Purple
Wired

Well, what I really mean is for example I have a lot of hair on my head and I like a lightweight Headset that's not going to crush it or give me hathair. Or cowlicks as the elders would say. The one I tried on was held in place via the ears, with a soft cushion. I didn't feel the arc over my head at all. And I wonder really, if it plugs into a PlayStation controller and I'll be using a gamepad/controller anyway for pc, how dead set is that rule anyway?

It can really be any color since most of all are standard colors or patterns anyway. Wired, as in just plugging in a normal Mic or ear buds or earphones. Compatible , can or may be used from device to device. Now I say that like I'm going to also use it on my iPhone. Well what I could really mean is, also if I decide to go with a generic, or PlayStation, or Xbox type controller for pc

I'm not always KB&M, I like sitting back using a controller.

Do they make some of these types of things that will make me sound like a helo pilot? Like I'm really in a tango unit?

In any case, is there specific brands or models out there that I should investigate?

Thanks everyone. Many blessings.
Edited by chaz on July 9, 2018 8:53PM
Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

ESO Beta Test Ultimate Question for control!
Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
  • UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sennheiser makes a very good wired headset with music-quality sound. Good-sounding mic on a sturdy boom that swivels up out of the way and auto-mutes. Nice and light despite the size and likely to last a long time. No fancy colors or RGB LEDs, just high quality. Two people in my family use them and love 'em.

Myself, I use a different setup. I use a set of pro-grade studio headphones I've had for decades. For the mic, I use either a desktop mic or the mic that's built into my webcam - whichever works best with what I'm doing.
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, good good. Thankyou thankyou. I will add this to the list of things for potentials when I'm definitive on getting a headset. Thanks @UnseenCat !
    Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Astro A50. Yes it's expensive, but MY GOD the sound is just AWESOME. I can't believe that Zenimax did a great job with the sound since I was using PS3 headphones or speakers before. If money is not an issue I strongly recommend the Astro A 50. It's wireless but can use a cord if you so wish.

If money is not an issue and you want the best sound invest the money. It is worth it. When my son uses the Astro and I use the PS3 head set I can tell the difference. That said the PS3 so I am assuming the PS4 headset is a good choice as well. The Astro just blows it out of the water with the 7.1 surround sound.

*edit*

Quick question. The PC let's us chat? I thought that was only a console feature. How do we chat on the PC?

Edited by Davor on July 11, 2018 4:53PM
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings, Thank you @Davor . Yes, I will look into that one as well. I don't want something cheap or flimsy, yet I don't want to spend like $500 USD for it either. I think I'm going to limit price range from $50 min to 2--250$ USD. I expect High quality sound yes, since I will more than likely be in an area where speakers may be disturbing to some.

That said However my main focus is weight. It has to be light weight, and fit nicely over my skull. Too heavy or tight and I'll begin to sweat and I don't like hat hair. Sweat will be a slight deal here since I live on an Ocean Island where it's at least 85° everyday. Don't worry, I have fans and a sweet little cooling unit.

Any case, yes chatting. Well for one I'm on Steam and most of my games has it's own in-game chat/talk feature. Like Dead Island , GR Wildlands, Division etc etc ((Forgive me ZOS for the examples)), however when I talk to my friends and associates in Elder Scrols Online, I use Discord like everyone else. The PC version of this game , if you're in a guild, the in game guild speak function does not work.

So, Discord it it. See my Signature.

Any rate, if not discord I have had people also get me over to team speak. If you like to buddy with people or make permanent friends, I recommend signing up for a Discord account. It's quick and easy, and free. So is team speak. I find TS a bit difficult to navigate, that's just me, eventually I figure it out and people stop yelling at me for taking so long to get in their whatever they call it, as for Discord, just sending invite links, clicking it, and BAMMMM! You're all set! Haha.

Thanks mate.
    Edited by chaz on July 12, 2018 4:08AM

• UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    FYI on the Sennheisers I mentioned, they have cloth covered earcups, so they won't feel sweaty with extended sessions. Also quite light for their size, and they ought to fit in your price range. They're derived from a design that's been used in recording studios and broadcasting since lightweight headphones were invented.

Not a shill for them, but I hate to see folks risk dropping good money on gaming gear that's not up to the quality of the real pro audio stuff. Not that all gaming gear is bad -- but it's a crowded market that puts fashion over function a little too often.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chaz wrote: »
    That said However my main focus is weight. It has to be light weight, and fit nicely over my skull. Too heavy or tight and I'll begin to sweat and I don't like hat hair. Sweat will be a slight deal here since I live on an Ocean Island where it's at least 85° everyday. Don't worry, I have fans and a sweet little cooling unit.

The Astro A50 is light weight. It is so comfortable. I am glad I bought it when it was on sale. When I have to use the PS4 head set I can start feeling the "fatigue" about an hour or so using it but not with the A50. I don't find them tight at all and I have a large head. I usually have problems with everything tight on me, but with the A50 not an issue for me.

Not sure if this helps but I find my ears are more breathable if that makes sense.

Forgot to tell you for you to use the A50 you hook up the rechargeable stand to the computer through the USB. This is how it charges the A50. I believe you can get a wired version of the A series but not sure what it is, since I and my son wanted wireless we got the A50. So there could be another A series wired head set to look at. Also there are two versions I believe. One for PC/Xbox One or PC/PS4.

As for Discord. I have it. I am on NA server. Are you on that server as well? How do I join the Discord server? I am not very up to date savy so only way I know how to hook up to Discord is when I click on a link lol.

While I play ESO single player would love to start making some chat buddies on the PC.

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logitech G430 is decent and cheap.
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @vapirko , I will check it out.

@Davor , yes NA server.

So, like I mentioned I seen a nice pair in a store a while back. So todaybIm going back and I'm gonna Google search it to see if it is compatible with PC since it only plugs into the controller, and I use gamepad on PC.

Oh yeah discord. So long as someone sends you an invite link that's all you need.

• chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone. All those suggestions looked great. Though I couldn't try them all on to test them out, I did decided to go back to that store and did a little research using my iPhone, and found out that kid was wrong. I went to the same guy and asked him to get the box out and even on the box it says it's compatible cross system including PC, and it has the extensions.

So I bought it, Turtle beach Recon 60P.

Now before you knock it, the in-store display music shelf the sound is great, I turned it up half way to 60 and it was really loud without breaking down like cheat speakers. It's very, very light weight, and yet strong enough to stay on your head by the ear muffs just being over your ears. The Arc over top doesn't touch your head to make you get hat hair if you have a lot of hair on your dome.

Again, light weight so it's not tight and binding so you will not sweat wearing them.

3b8nkmH

https://imgur.com/a/3b8nkmH

rhQy6nb

https://imgur.com/a/rhQy6nb

• Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah great. Glad you found something you like. Now send me a link and we can chat. :P

• Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just use a blue yetti USB table top condenser mic, then just pop some headphones on if you need.
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haha, thanks @Hayden_knight: )

Sure thing @Davor, I'll pop by your profile and send an invite. My time zone is in the Pacific Ocean.

• Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    @chaz

HeRes as awesome link of some headsets. Very informative. Even tho you already bought your turtle beach its not to late to return if you like one of these better.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-wireless-headphones-gaming-pc-ps4-xbox-nintendo-switch/

I Chose the Artis Pro and its light weight and unbeliveable comfty, but its $330. Should last you many years of gamin use from thes and you can buy batteries and replace them with ease. 2 batteries only 20 buck. Also you can pair thes with mulitple device. Play on ps4 but received a phone call, can use headset to talk on phone, come in handy. The audio and mic is just as good as the astros but then again im not that much of an audophile but this headnset blows away anything sony made for ps4 headset in audio and mic.

Read article might get a better value and more bang for you buck chooseingna turtle beach. I myself never reall like that brand just doest last long for me.
    Edited by Cêltic421 on July 13, 2018 10:13PM
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, yes Thank you @Cêltic421 , for bringing these up. Also for letting me know i have options outside Turtle Beach. So I was looking at that site and they have many different styles to chose from with different price ranges. Well that's good to know.

I will hold on to the website and it's name along with the other suggestions from the rest of our friends here. Main thing is and will always be, light on the head, not causing sweat, or causing hat hair. That's pretty embarrassing. True story, I was gaming online with my buds and it was hot out, more than the fans could handle. However my IRL friends stopped by and took me out, and it wasn't until 20 minutes later I noticed after sweating up a good one in my heavy at the time headset it crushed one side of my hairflat and I looked like a white version of Adolf ***.

I swore never again. Haha.

BTW, I like the user name, are you Irish like me?

Thanks.

• Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol white version of adolf ***
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hit ler a bad word? Hahaha
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got these love them to death ( my one is green as its xbox one)
    and i also have long hair and have no problem with them
    i use them not just for xbox but also when i watch netflix at night

TBS-3390-01_blue_3_d86a01a4-b2e2-422c-a885-db6f7db427ff.png?v=1523051414

i know a bit pricey but to me personalty worth it

The Elite 800 for PS4™ is the very definition of premium tech innovation - fully wireless, DTS™ 7.1 Surround Sound, Active Noise-Cancellation, Bluetooth™, and a host of features.

*Chat available for games that support in-game chat capability.
    Audio Connection
    Digital Optical (Game) & USB (Chat)
    Speaker Frequency Response
    20Hz - 20kHz
    Transmitter Frequency Response
    Dual Band 2.4/5 GHz
    Headset Power
    Rechargeable Battery
    Battery
    Lithium Polymer
    Speaker Size
    50mm
    Battery Life
    Up to 10 Hours
    Microphone
    Dual Boomless Noise-Cancelling
    Headband/Earpad Material
    Synthetic Leather with Foam Cushioning
    Ear Cushion

"By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    WOW, @Cêltic421 , you're pretty good at posting images here in the forums. I stink at it. Yeah that is funny that Adolph's last name is filtered. Ha....Ha... Weird ha ha in a weird haha way. LOL. ANycase, yes the headset looks nice, but still headphones have to meet my standards. It's like when we get older, we get a little bigger, and we always have that one sister or sister in law that tags along with u on family night shopping at a mall. And they always have the ""Right"" answer.

"Why don't you just get a size up?"

And I'm like, "Really? A size up? Look hunny, I don't fit the clothes. The clothes fit me"

I mean, am I right or am I right?

• Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for chatting, i find it best to use a call centre type headset - USB, only goes over 1 ear. That allows voice chat to go via the headset but gaming noise to go via the pc speakers.
    Now im using logitech full headset when i want to use voice chat, it does get to my ears after a while but it also makes me ignorant to people knocking on my door etc. however that may suit you.

i think the first option is also easier to differentiate voice over the game noises as well.
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, good good. Thanks @Slick_007 . But I wear a head set like that all day for CS. Besides, the area in which I will be living is kind of a quiet zone. People respect that. Sure people can use TV's or speakers as such, but for those that really like to sit back and enjoy the sound it's best to get and have head sets as to not disturb the neighbors, plus I'll be living by a local GYM for people and children of all ages. (I've come full circle, I've lived there before)

However in anycase, for me there really is two choices. Headsets of full surround sound stereo system Like I had before. And I don't think too many people will appreciate the bass turned way way up to vibrate the place to dust! Though I can be EVIL and do that, but my Vampiric abilities dulled over time. I need to get out and feed some more.

• Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got these love them to death ( my one is green as its xbox one)
    and i also have long hair and have no problem with them
    i use them not just for xbox but also when i watch netflix at night

TBS-3390-01_blue_3_d86a01a4-b2e2-422c-a885-db6f7db427ff.png?v=1523051414

i know a bit pricey but to me personalty worth it

The Elite 800 for PS4™ is the very definition of premium tech innovation - fully wireless, DTS™ 7.1 Surround Sound, Active Noise-Cancellation, Bluetooth™, and a host of features.

*Chat available for games that support in-game chat capability.
    Audio Connection
    Digital Optical (Game) & USB (Chat)
    Speaker Frequency Response
    20Hz - 20kHz
    Transmitter Frequency Response
    Dual Band 2.4/5 GHz
    Headset Power
    Rechargeable Battery
    Battery
    Lithium Polymer
    Speaker Size
    50mm
    Battery Life
    Up to 10 Hours
    Microphone
    Dual Boomless Noise-Cancelling
    Headband/Earpad Material
    Ear Cushion

I never trust a Turtle Beach product.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Nestor
      Nestor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Most head sets made for one platform have versions for other platforms.

I have gone through 5 headsets in less than 3 years. Best advice is to get a headset stand so your not banging the cups and mike around on the desk so the dont break early.

The latest ones i am using are the Steele Series 800. I think the 840s are the ones that have metal pieces that cover the battery, get those if go this route. Anyway they sound the best to me of all of them. Turtle Beach is another one I like.
      Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
      Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
      Oreyn_Bearclaw
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      UnseenCat wrote: »
      Sennheiser makes a very good wired headset with music-quality sound. Good-sounding mic on a sturdy boom that swivels up out of the way and auto-mutes. Nice and light despite the size and likely to last a long time. No fancy colors or RGB LEDs, just high quality. Two people in my family use them and love 'em.

Myself, I use a different setup. I use a set of pro-grade studio headphones I've had for decades. For the mic, I use either a desktop mic or the mic that's built into my webcam - whichever works best with what I'm doing.

I will also plug Sennheiser. If you want a headset that looks neat but breaks after a month, you can look at elsewhere, but if you are looking for quality in a very simple design, seenheiser is hard to beat. Most comfortable headset I have ever owned and zero complaints with sound/mic quality. They are a bit spendy, but well worth it IMO.
    • Defilted
      Defilted
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I have had good experience with the elite series of Turtlebeach. Currently have the turtle Beach PX 51's. They are 4 or 5 years old now and are really just now starting to show wear. The Dolby surround sound is nice and the MIC and sound adjustments are cool as well. I can modify the sound to the game I am playing with 9 different custom sound settings. Your voice can also be changed/augmented for some fun with its own 9 different custom settings. I have really enjoyed having these. I am going to be replacing my current for a more up to date pair as I mentioned my have become dated.

At the time I bought these , the headphones where 299.99. I did have an issue with the original pair. The Mic jack on the headphones died. Turtlebeach replaced them no questions asked.Been good ever since.

My next headphones will be the all wireless TB's as the wire from the controller to the headphones gets in the way sometime.

Good luck with your purchase. I researched many headphones before buying.
      XBOX NA
      XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
    • chaz
      chaz
      ✭✭✭✭
      Thank you, Thank you.

Everyone, yes for me I find myself in those situations where I like to try the product first before making purchase. And a lot, yes a lot of stores do not have any policy that they have to have all brands on display let alone have any that you can actually try on your head before buying.

When I do see stuff like that yes I do love to shop around, even take chances on buying things online not knowing if this is going to fit my needs and requirements. I will keep all the information you provided of course as later on down the road I may splurge a little and get something really swank! Maybe even a little bling bling on it. Or not LOL.

Just that right at this moment the requirements I set for this little quiry is satisfied, but that does not mean later on down the road I will make that sacrifice of heavy , sweaty headsets if the sound quality and mic are top knotch.