The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

What happened after 50?

Oobee
Oobee
Soul Shriven
Alright, let me start off by saying I really enjoy all of the content in this game including the pvp. I almost exclusively leveled from battlegrounds throughout 10-49. The combat was fun, fast paced, and felt like there was a variety of builds and playstyles to choose from.

The issue I'm having is that after hitting 50, I waited until 160 and grinding out solid gear before touching battlegrounds again. I decided to tonight and it's just a huge $#&@storm and an utter disappointment.

What happened to the damage and mitigation I was experiencing before? What happened to fights that took more than 3 buttons to end?

I'm playing a stam warden based around Kodi's 2h/S&B Build with Seventh Legion, Fury, and Blood Spawn. I'm running a full set of Heavy/Impen armor minus the shoulders which are medium and I go down in seconds compared to the minutes it would sometimes take before pre-50.

There seems to be no strategy to fighting someone anymore. It's just whoever has the higher resources and ult at the start of the fight wins it in about 3 seconds. CC, mash your buttons, ????, Profit. Fights aren't lasting long enough to have any meaningful strategy beyond that. No maintaining buffs, no backing off to heal, and no chance when fighting more than one person.There were times where I fought entire teams and came out on top sub 50. Now if a second person attacks me it's instant death with no counterplay more often than not.

I've also noticed that I have less of every attribute with legendary equipment than I did with rewards of the worthy equipment while leveling. Is this due to the game scaling you up to CP level then not giving you the attributes of that CP?

At this point, I'm dazed and confused. I've grinded so much gear, collected almost all the skyshards, maxed out my crafting, and was overall having a fun experience with the game hoping to hop back into battlegrounds for some fun. I feel like it was all a waste.

I see videos of people of every class fighting crowds of people in cyrodiil. Why is this? It seems more akin to the type of gameplay I experienced sub 50. Is it due to the skill/gear/level disparity? Is it champion points making people more durable?

Why did the battlegrounds that I was having so much fun grinding through turn into a button mashing frenzy? Am I doing something wrong? Please help.

• ReName
    ReName
    oke max lvl BG players have pvp gear same as you they got all passive.
    every one hit very hard because of there max lvl builds and a lot off them run dps proc builds winch will shoot though your health in second plus they got monster that hit hard

ult dumps are a lot more often with max players and cc Spam plus a lot more pre made groups on max lvl,s
    every no knows how to play there toon

now the low lvl,s

on low lvl a lot don,t run crafted gear
    a lot off them don,t no know there toon how to play or don,t got the skills
    you get buffed to 160cp
    not many pre made groups
    no proc builds
    no monster sets

i hoped this helps gives you understanding
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battlegrounds are no CP so I'm guessing the battle scaling (pre 50 levelled to cp160) actually makes you stronger than when you actually hit CP160.

As for being melted instantly summerset increased everyones damage with the new damage scaling from max stats, plus it's return of the proc sets (sloads etc...).

Also there's the fact that you'll be matched up with better players now since you're a higher level & have more battlegrounds games under your belt.

EDIT: Also your stats increase with every CP spent in each tree (e.g. 1cp in red tree will increase health). This continues until CP300.
    Edited by Sparr0w on July 16, 2018 12:53PM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are never stronger than a leveling character in appropriate gear. At least until you have 300 to 400 champ points and a good set of end game capable gear.

Also, most people who have just leveled to 50 have not earned the 130 to 150 skill points needed to skill up a character. If that is the case with you, then you probably dont have all your passives, the real source of power in the game.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• del9
    del9
    ✭✭✭✭
    You said you leveled yourself through battlegrounds? That would result in your toon picking up MMR points all the way. So when you capped and entered the regular BGs, you would be typically matched against experienced battlegrounders. While you are on your first character, many of your opponents likely have played multiple classes and have significantly more gametime than you.

Other than the MMR thing and what the above said about how scaling works: ESO PvP takes a long time to get good at. The sub-50 BGs were probably filled with very new players, so you were mislead about what PVP really feels like. There are many tiers of skill in the game, and it will take you a good chunk of practice to reach each.

My take is that BG's is not a good place to DEVELOP your skills. Go to Cyro, get zerged down, become familiar with your limits, timing, what hurts and what works etc.

BG's is a great place to REFINE skills. Once you have the mechanical basics, and understand gear, passives, and builds, it is a great place to get constant action safe from Zergs and Lag (mostly).
    PCNA

• ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP is right, TTK is too low in general in BGs. Something needs to change. I'd suggest an adjustment to battle spirit within BGs towards higher damage reduction as what we have in BGs right now is not high enough to compensate for the loss of mitigation from not having CP.

The idea that the same battle spirit damage/healing reduction and health bonus will work in no-CP BGs and CP pvp is pretty ridiculous IMO. Each need to be balanced individually, but right now they're not.
    Edited by ecru on July 17, 2018 12:29AM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BGs are a great place to learn how to play a toon...

Unless you’re a high MMR player.. then you’re gonna be up against people like me and del who have thousands of matches under our belts.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Valabrog
    Valabrog
    ✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    BGs are a great place to learn how to play a toon...

Unless you’re a high MMR player.. then you’re gonna be up against people like me and del who have thousands of matches under our belts.

Well, im a corporal, used to level mostly in pvp - its like 5 matches per day. MMR system cant be that stupid...I usually i have more than a few colonels and brigadiers in match..My build/gear is optimized/golden and I watch/read a lot about pvp. The only time i get kills is when Im coming from behind to jump on someone whos already in duel. If I see anyone eye to eye, all I can do is roll/vigor/roll/cleanse/vigor/potion/block/vigor/die.If i try to attack, i can read while waiting: valkyn, meteor, sloads or valkyn, sloads, wrath. So yea..I hear that guy in OP. Its so frustrating to try to learn proper pvp in bg.

Edit: oh, and below 50 i was getting 20+ kills in every match with my tweaked stamplar.
    Edited by Valabrog on July 21, 2018 6:38PM
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience in the less than level 50 BGs was that the majority of the player base didn’t understand how to CC break while wearing white/green mismatched gear. Your stats are much higher as well because of battle leveling so that coupled with low damage and next to no ultimate coordination makes fights drag out forever. I also had to often tell players on my team to eat food.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on July 22, 2018 2:38AM