The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Home storage chests need some "cosmetic adjustments"

logarifmik
logarifmik
✭✭✭✭✭
For now we have only two types of home storage containers, which looks like a retexture of the chests already existing in the game.
StorageContainerAppearance_.jpg
In my opinion, they look just terrible, but well, at least it is a useful addition to the housing system. Now to the point.

Devs, it would be great to have an ability to choose how a particular storage chest placed in a particular house looks. There is no need to make new models, no need for retexturing them, just add some kind of "switch" to make them look like regular chests. And, please, control your greed, avoid the monetization, make it a basic feature.

What do think, comrades?
EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to play devil's advocate:

The current fixed design reinforces the idea that it's the same chest in each location.
    The style is neutral and doesn't get confused with any racial style.
    A chest that looks like it's a regular one gets forgotten, along with everything you put in it.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

The current fixed design reinforces the idea that it's the same chest in each location.
    A chest that looks like it's a regular one gets forgotten, along with everything you put in it.

I wouldn't mind recolors of them so they are easier to identify
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Four distinct chests of each size would have been better than just the two sizes, I'd agree.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

Well, actually they both are retexture of already existing in the game containers. Coffer is "Dark Elf Trunk, Buckled" and chest is "Argonian Trunk, Sturdy". I only wish they have more unique style. At least. Also, I can't agree, that style is "neutral". In some interiors they look completely out of place.
  • Imagawa
    Imagawa
    ✭✭✭
    that style is "neutral". In some interiors they look completely out of place.

Agreed, I'd like to see a feature that allows you to change the look to whatever is in game.
    Edited by Imagawa on July 11, 2018 5:30PM
    TANK - that's all I do.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look like cartoon chests to me. Kinda like chests you'd expect to see in WoW. :/
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to this, it would be nice to name them. Like I have motifs in one, patterns for alts in another, an random stuff in the other 2..it's confusing. I have to open them to remember what's in.
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    They look like cartoon chests to me.
    My thoughts exactly.
    In addition to this, it would be nice to name them. Like I have motifs in one, patterns for alts in another, an random stuff in the other 2..it's confusing. I have to open them to remember what's in.
    Actually, you already can do this.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    They look like cartoon chests to me. Kinda like chests you'd expect to see in WoW. :/

We did mention that a lot on the PTS, but it was ignored, and some users called us out and critizised us for making such petty comments.

The chests do look awful. I haven't seen a single home where they didn't look very out of place. I keep all mine in my Ebonheart cellar/treasury, I decorated it with a lot of clutter and stuff to make them less conspicious, but they are still very noticable (in a bad way, that is. You notice them and go "ugh ..").
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I would disagree that the storage chests look terrible, skins for them would be fine. I expect this will come to a crown store near you sometimes in the future.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm also not a fan of the storage chest appearances. It's a shame that there isn't a way for us to somehow use any style chest that we like for storage! But even just a little more variety would be preferable to the option of just two! Even if one was just a plain wooden chest, it would match the styles of allot of the houses better than the current ones do :smile:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind