The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Jewelry Crafting: Get ready for the worst grind in ESO's history

• Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand that they want to keep the gold Jewelry you get for completing vet trials special. But I think they still made it too hard to upgrade jewelry. The material needed for jewelry writs combined can be worth 800k. They could at least half the amount of material needed to make plating. And if they want to keep the jewelry dropped by the last boss in vet trials special, they can make it so only last bosses on vet trials drop jewelry with traits like bloodthirsty, harmony, infused, protective, and swift.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    _Ahala_ wrote: »
    Drop rates should be balanced so that 8 chromium platings cost around 80-100k not 800-1000k

While I agree that the rarity/cost of chromium is extreme at this point, I don't think it's feasible to think that upgrading a piece of jewelry to gold should, or will, ever cost less than the price of jewelry from The Golden - 250-300k per jewelry would be fine with me.

80-100k is only 25% more than the current cost (XB-NA) to gold out armor/weapons with tempering alloys right now, and jewelry should be more valuable than that.

If we ever hope to reach a compromise with ZOS, we have to be realistic.

Edit - spelling.

They should get rid of the the golden all together. Gold jewelry from dungeon sets should have a small chance to drop from vet hm and Gold jewelry for overland sets should have a very small chance to drop from dolmens or treasure chests. This way instead of having people wait a week to just get disappointed by bad sets it would inspire people to keep re-running the old content.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The whole concept of gold jewelry is laughable. Some gold jewelry is selling for 10x what it was 6 months ago. I take this as serious as the whole absurd implementation of jewelry crafting in general. It's no wonder ZOS isn't commenting. No way of fixing it without admitting an embarrassing level of ineptitude. My attitudinal culmination of leveling 3 characters: Who cares?
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RANKK7 wrote: »
    I truly wonder if in this Studio they know their own game or just make decisions at random.

Purely random. Looks like they used their own RNG to determine the JC master writ rewards.
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!
  • Jack_Of_Shades
    Jack_Of_Shades
    ✭✭✭
    I love crafting, I enjoy it on all the mmorpgs I have ever played. But I have a question after reading the topics original post:

So, all in all, is jewelcrafting worth it/fun at all?

I don't have Summerset yet, I was going to get the Collection on Xbox Marketplace. Just curious, mostly. Thanks in advance!
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, all in all, is jewelcrafting worth it/fun at all?

Only if you plan to transmute jewelry or get a piece of jewelry to epic. To a lesser degree being able to craft set jewelry is also a nice option to have.
  • Jack_Of_Shades
    Jack_Of_Shades
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you plan to transmute jewelry or get a piece of jewelry to epic. To a lesser degree being able to craft set jewelry is also a nice option to have.
    Thanks for responding. I mean, it sounds really cool! I logged in when I returned to the game and saw these pewter seams. I was puzzled until I found out about jewelcrafting. I think it's a great idea to add it, it was the only part of our gear we couldn't make. Haha I'll check it out, being a crafter and all.

• General_Zeranth
    General_Zeranth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    Yes, the people saying "oh its fine, mmos are supposed to be grindy" don't seem to understand the sheer magnitude of this grind. ZoS has done some ridiculous things in the past, but this is really up there on the crazy scale. Jewelry crafting should have been the same as all of the other crafts. As is you'll be able to level a Master Angler before you can craft a gold ring.

I've leveled 2 Master Anglers since the Jewelry crafting was made available, and also farm Jewelry nodes for hours whilst fishing. Still unable to craft a single gold ring... Only have 5 grains of Chromium and one plate. >->
    Xbox - NA

Self confessed Master Angler title chaser.

Titles Earned: 10/∞
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    How TF do they expect people to complete jewelry master writs at LEGENDARY level if we can't get the gold level platings?

There's a simple fix:

1- refining and farming should give players more plating grains
    2- 10 plating grains should give between 5 and 10 platings
    3- deconstructing and daily writs should give platings instead of grains
    4- jewelry hirelings - also giving platings & trait materials as well as, on occasion, rare trait jewelry to research.
    5- chests, psijic portals and pickpocketing should have a chance to give a piece of jewelry with a rare trait and/or rare trait item

It's disgusting that certain traits only drop from PvP when many of us came for the Elder Scrolls: NOT the MMO
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i'm about 2 weeks away from making a set of purple infused jewellery for my twink. gold would take a couple weeks more.

grind?

no, that's not a grind.
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    i'm about 2 weeks away from making a set of purple infused jewellery for my twink. gold would take a couple weeks more.

grind?

no, that's not a grind.

I'd love to know how you get 24 Gold plates in a couple of weeks. I've only got one since JC launched early on PC. Care to share your secret? Please?
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Heike
    Heike
    ✭✭✭
    $640,000 to upgrade ONE piece of jewelry to gold...?

You’re serious? You’re being serious here.

*drops jewelry crafting*
    Mihail Heike
    (NA AD CP1800 Templar - DD/Heals)
    Heikers | The Hive Mind | Dead Nirn Dealers | Bowz N The Hood | Tertiary Meat
    "Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi"

"I will see you, galloping across the green pastures and through the timbers. I will watch, from my shadowy crouch under the rocks at Greenmead, as you race past the dolmen, with thoughts of Altadoon in your head. Yes, I will see you. And your journey will end there..."
    ~Mihail Heike
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heike wrote: »

*drops jewelry crafting*

Nah, don't drop it. Just do the daily writs to make more gold, and sell whatever mats you get between box rewards and surveys. Some people actually ARE insane enough to buy into a bad system, so Chromium plating sells for very high haha.

Meanwhile, most players can't even craft blue / purple rings. But hey, it's okay because game design, right? You can also hold all materials in the hopes that they will eventually come to their senses, but don't hold your breath haha

• Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    Heike wrote: »

*drops jewelry crafting*

Nah, don't drop it. Just do the daily writs to make more gold, and sell whatever mats you get between box rewards and surveys. Some people actually ARE insane enough to buy into a bad system, so Chromium plating sells for very high haha.

Meanwhile, most players can't even craft blue / purple rings. But hey, it's okay because game design, right? You can also hold all materials in the hopes that they will eventually come to their senses, but don't hold your breath haha

I wouldn't say I'm insane, just tired of gold jewelry lotteries at the end of every vet trial. Running vAA for over a year and still don't have complete set of gold mending.
    Edited by Almakor on July 15, 2018 10:31PM
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If gold grain extraction rate (from deconstructed golden jewelry) is around 50%, then you'd have to deconstruct ~480 golden jewelry pieces to upgrade a full set to gold. That would mean around 240 vAA HM runs. That's eight months of running vAA HM every single day. I'm not sure which option - that, or lotteries - will make you crazy first. ^^
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some changes coming for JC noted here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5311689#Comment_5311689

"... we’ll be adding a small amount of Jewelry Crafting raw material to some (but not all) Blacksmithing ore nodes."

"At maximum rank in Platings Expertise, it will take you only a single Terne Plating to upgrade a ring from White to Green, and it will take only 4 Chromium Platings to upgrade a ring from Purple to Gold – both of which are half of what it takes currently on Live."
  • Anethum
    Anethum
    ✭✭✭✭
    thinking what to do with 21 jewellery writs (5 with value 102-124) which i've got during summerset patch.
    Zeni wrote at pts patchnotes that values will be reworked only for future dropped ones.
    @Anethum from .ua
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anethum wrote: »
    thinking what to do with 21 jewellery writs (5 with value 102-124) which i've got during summerset patch.
    Zeni wrote at pts patchnotes that values will be reworked only for future dropped ones.

Stick them on a mule in case Zos makes them worth doing.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hm-m, at first I livened up, but... Raw material; so, some unrefined platinum, less than from platinum node, and not on all rubedite nodes. I don't think it will give farmers enough of incentive to spend time farming rubedite, unless it can be shown that added platinum is worth the delays. As for platings... Good, but not enough by a long shot. What significant change it would make it upgrading to a gold ring would cost 350k instead of 700k gold? The grind is still of cosmic proportions, even reduced by half. Feels like they're throwing us a bone.

In general, I find it... not exactly -bad-, but strange: upgrading weapons to gold significantly increases stats - and it's cheap. Upgrading jewelry to gold is a very minor stat improvement - and it costs a fortune. I can't understand the logic.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    Drop rates should be balanced so that 8 chromium platings cost around 80-100k not 800-1000k

While I agree that the rarity/cost of chromium is extreme at this point, I don't think it's feasible to think that upgrading a piece of jewelry to gold should, or will, ever cost less than the price of jewelry from The Golden - 250-300k per jewelry would be fine with me.

80-100k is only 25% more than the current cost (XB-NA) to gold out armor/weapons with tempering alloys right now, and jewelry should be more valuable than that.

Edit - spelling.

They should get rid of the the golden all together. Gold jewelry from dungeon sets should have a small chance to drop from vet hm and Gold jewelry for overland sets should have a very small chance to drop from dolmens or treasure chests. This way instead of having people wait a week to just get disappointed by bad sets it would inspire people to keep re-running the old content.

The Golden Is fine she just needs to offer more items.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    smacx250 wrote: »
    Some changes coming for JC noted here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5311689#Comment_5311689

"... we’ll be adding a small amount of Jewelry Crafting raw material to some (but not all) Blacksmithing ore nodes."

"At maximum rank in Platings Expertise, it will take you only a single Terne Plating to upgrade a ring from White to Green, and it will take only 4 Chromium Platings to upgrade a ring from Purple to Gold – both of which are half of what it takes currently on Live."

This is supposed to be encouraging? 2 months in to JC at max level and I have 2 Chromium Plates. Let's see, in 2 more months I'll be able to create 1 legendary ring. In 8 more months I'll be able to craft a full set. Sorry to be cynical, but this is still the dumbest implementation of a crafting one could imagine. Someone still needs to take off their "I'm Stupid" cap and get a clue.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So instead of being 10X the grind now it will only be 5X the grind relative to upgrading all the other gear slots...

And the crowd goes wild!

70ST.gif
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

Edit - spelling.

The Golden Is fine she just needs to offer more items.

I would also be fine with this.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jewelry crafting was specially made extremely grindy
    Probably, they hired some Koreans from NC-Soft to make this crafting skill-line, not sure.
    But fact is fact - this is grindy and expensive af crafting prof
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We also get extra raw mats from blacksmithing nodes. And overall, more seams will spawn if all the blacksmithing nodes are collected... So, only 3-4 times the grind?
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Gallagher563
    Gallagher563
    ✭✭✭
    Elwendryll wrote: »
    We also get extra raw mats from blacksmithing nodes. And overall, more seams will spawn if all the blacksmithing nodes are collected... So, only 3-4 times the grind?

This is only true if ever other or every third blacksmith node contains jewelry materials.
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone noticed that the Jewellery Surveys are also skewed so that the lesser Materials come in smaller amounts than Platinum. I am at Max Level so I always get Platinum. As a result I also got loads of it.

ZOS you really want to make it hard for us!

Anyone noticed the degree to which Jewellery Master Writs drop related to knowing all the Traits?
    I am working on completing them but have been getting top level daily's for about 10 days and not a peep!
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Malborn66 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that the Jewellery Surveys are also skewed so that the lesser Materials come in smaller amounts than Platinum. I am at Max Level so I always get Platinum. As a result I also got loads of it.
    This is correct but it's also the case for blacksmithing, clothing, and woodworking surveys.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elwendryll wrote: »

No. Upgrading is still 5 times. It's not like they're making JC nodes be more plentiful than wood, leather or cloth fibers. You will still get only grains from refining or decon and it's still 10 grains to make a plating. All they did was halve the plating requirements so it's still at least 5:1 to upgrade compared to upgrading any other gear.

The 10:1 actually was an understatement since nodes were also rarer. Now with some dust dropping off metal nodes is not quite as bad but still less than wood, leather or cloth. So 5:1 is still understating things.
  • Anethum
    Anethum
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom I think Jewellery crafting skilline should contain Hirelings in addition to what announced in new patch.
    Nodes farm...- timeburn.
    But hirelings give us a reason to log in to the game regularly so encourage better online. Someone can buy new slots for crafters etc. It's profitable for Zenimax...
    Edited by Anethum on July 24, 2018 5:31AM
    @Anethum from .ua