The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bad Latency =/= Bad Player

KhajiitWarlord
I'm from South Africa, and I connect to the NA server. All my friends play on that server, so I refuse to connect to the EU server. Regardless the same issue still happens on both, just to a slightly lesser extent on EU.

Connecting to the NA server, my latency ranges anywhere between 800 to 1200, and up to 1400 if I'm in a voice chat channel. What this does is it causes a delay on many of my abilities, and that often causes a fast rotation to cancel half of the abilies from activating.

That said, I'm only able to reach 22k DPS with my rotation without risking losing larger numbers of DPS due to cancelled abilities.

I'm aware this isn't very much compared to other players in vet hardmode content, and I don't even attempt trials on vet due to my DPS being too low for that. However, recently I was told I shouldn't even be doing vet dungeons in the first place with my DPS because it's not enough.

This is what I mainly want you to consider when voting here. With my 22k DPS, I've managed to do every dungeon in the game on veteran, and while I do struggle to beat some of the DPS races, I do still know how every mechanic works, and I execute each mechanic's required counter correctly.

There are some DPS races determined by switching to hardmode that I can't beat (Valkyn Skoria immediately comes to mind). But I'll always be willing to step out if others wanna attempt hardmode DPS races, so I'm not insisting I can do hardmode on all vet dungeons.

On the other hand, there are mechanic heavy dungeons that can become hell for people who don't know mechanics (Gaymne Bandu immediately comes to mind.).

I just want to know if it's fair to call me out for being a bad DPS simply because I can't push myself that hard, whereas other 30k-35k DPS players are easily overlooked regardless of whether they know any mechanics.

So, to answer the poll, consider that I am willing to drop out of hardmodes and requeue if I can't beat my part of a DPS race.

Would you rather have me queued into your group knowing that I'll perform well against all mechanics, even some of the slower DPS races? Or would you rather get queued up with a DPS who can beat all the DPS races, risking the potential for them not knowing mechanics that well?
Edited by KhajiitWarlord on July 11, 2018 6:43PM

Bad Latency =/= Bad Player 15 votes

I'd Run With You Instead
20%
mikemacongreenmachinePaddyVu 3 votes
I'd Run With A Higher DPS Instead
26%
CorpierLiberatorSamVioletVienceMuSE_nr1 4 votes
Depends On The Dungeon
53%
wistalaLadyNalcaryaDrummerx04Deep_01playsforfun_Ahala_ddgsodiumlozq 8 votes
  • Deep_01
    Deep_01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends On The Dungeon
    I play at 300 to 500 depending on the time of the day. Scalecaller HM, no. nMoL, sure.
    @Deepan on PC-EU
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    22k is fine for most vet dungeons. That said I’d highly recommend you try a good VPN like Mudfish if you’re experiencing latency that bad. From Thailand I can maintain in game latency of 250-300. So unless you’re in a very remote area and/or have a really bad ISP, I’m sure that there’s something you can do to improve your latency.
  • KhajiitWarlord
    Vapirko wrote: »
    22k is fine for most vet dungeons. That said I’d highly recommend you try a good VPN like Mudfish if you’re experiencing latency that bad. From Thailand I can maintain in game latency of 250-300. So unless you’re in a very remote area and/or have a really bad ISP, I’m sure that there’s something you can do to improve your latency.

ISPs in South Africa are really bad, in general. I'm using the one that's generally considered the best, and that's unfortunately my lot. Had a worse ISP before, and I was so glad to get past them.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The poll itself is unnecessary.

Unfortunately there are some that are rude. If they think 22k dps is bad then why are they not running with guildies is the bigger question. It may be their attitude or they mat be able to pull good DPS but die a lot to mechanics in the new trials.

With that, your latency is a bad situation. There is a service, or services, that can improve your ping by routing you through optimal switches and such to your path is better. At least some, and probably the better ones, provide a free trial.
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends On The Dungeon
    The unfortunate truth is that beyond a certain ping, you can't pull your weight properly. For random vet dungeons, this may not be an issue, but for harder content where carrying a single person makes the run far more difficult... you definitely want the damage.

The other misconception is that high dps players are somehow oblivious to all mechanics. Sometimes it's true, but most of the time I would say that high dps players are invested enough in the game to at least be familiar with the mechanics. High dps players often come with higher than average situational awareness.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter