The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Duel Rules

Chrysa1is
Chrysa1is
✭✭✭✭✭
What rules do you follow in duels? (No shuffle, no shields, no sloads etc) If any!

What do you deem as dishonourable?

What do you think shows lack of sportsmanship?

What type of opponent do you think shows lack of skill and finesse?

What sets do you think people cheese with?

It'd be interesting to read your views.
Edited by Chrysa1is on July 2, 2018 3:42PM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s pretty much up to what you decide on before with your opponent. The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head that applies to all duels is no LOSing and no cost poisons. Of course I don’t really respect people who bring known cheese sets to duels. It’s not really a duel if your set(s) are doing the work for you, but to each their own. I prefer duels between more or less normal solo open world builds, with some ability adjustments.
    Edited by Vapirko on July 2, 2018 12:24PM
  • Hamish999
    Hamish999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is a set or mechanic in the game it is usable, and that includes the environment.
    PC-EU
    Do'Zahra - Khajiit - StamDK - AD
    Narese Telvanni - Dunmer - Petsorc - EP
    Anastasie Chastain - Breton - Magplar - DC
    Gashnakh the Lusty - Orc - Stamsorc - AD
    Stands-In-Stoopid - Argonian - Warden Tank - AD
    Talia al-Morwha - Redguard - Stamden - AD
    Makes-Fier-Wrong - Argonian - Stamblade - AD
    Busty-Argonian-Maid - Argonian - Templar Healer - AD
    Alaru Telvanni - Dunmer - Stamplar - AD
    Ko'Raehsi - Khajiit - Magsorc - AD
    Torhild Rock-Chucker - Nord - StamDK - AD
    Drusilla Larouche - Breton - MagDK - AD
    Ko'Khanni - Khajiit - Magden - AD
    Ilithyia Ectorius - Imperial - DK Tank -AD

Keyboard and mouse FTW!
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are not much for rules in duels as far as builds. If its available then its good to go( helps prepare against those builds in cyro/bgs). I like to duel in a open area where its a 1v1 and not a 1v chase around a tree.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually there are no real rules, but people tebd to agree to not want to see some specific stuff in duels. Those things mostly are said to be dishonorable and give a real advantage over the enemy. Thats why most people dont like following things in duels:
    Cost poisons
    Immo pots
    Duroks bane
    LOSing
    Permacloak

In tournaments lots of rules are present, which also prohibit much more sets.
    Edited by Checkmath on July 2, 2018 1:36PM
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blessed Meridia is probably the only set I'll refuse to fight. 5 seconds of total damage immunity in 1v1 with up to 50% uptime. Plus 2-4 bonuses are garbo so running blessed gimps offensive potential. It's a perfect recipe for a 20 minute stalemate.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just wait until countdown timer is over before casting shields, otherwise you will end up with double size
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edit: added more
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Most important thing is to use all cheese which is available and always get salty whenever you lose.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not much of a dueler, but I do remember one time being asked to duel on my mSorc in reapers's march. I happened to be in PVP gear, so I said what the heck. I should mention, that this was about a week after dragon bones, so I was wearing Caluurions, Zaan, and Lich. I proceeded to melt the guy, and then he started screaming at me for wearing proc sets in a duel. I was like, dude, I dont have a costume on, and it's pretty darn obvious from looking what gear I am in, but apparently, I am a horrible person.

Point is, if someone randomly asks you to duel, I would say all bets are off. If you are at a known dueling spot, I would generally say that cost reduction potions and immov pots are considered cheap/dirty. If you are in a tournament, well, they can outlaw anything they want and you should play by the rules of said tournament.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no dueling rules unless two people agree on them.
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just want to add, i know there are no "rules" in duels. What i mean is, what do you deem as your personal rules for dueling? what are you against and what is cheese to you.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run Sload, Durok’s, Zaan, and cost poisons in duels.

I never make duel challenges and don’t hang out in duel areas so if you send me an unprovoked challenge then you get what I’ve got equipped and you will get trolled if you cry about it
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the first rule not to speak of the dueling rules?
    PC-NA
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First and second rule of duels: do not talk about duels.

Third rule of duels: duels will go on as long as they have to.

Fourth rule of duels: if your opponent runs out of health before you, the duel is over.

Last rule of duels: if this is your first duel, you get an achievement for winning.
    Edited by ChunkyCat on July 4, 2018 1:33PM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rung-whatcha-brung - you get what you get I say.

If ur in a competition you follow the rules, commonly no pots no poisons etc.

Ultimate dump before hand is fair enough.

but other rules i think are just silly it will end up no cloak, no ward, no block, no pets lol. Might as well all be naked if we go down that road (character not players!)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    Actually there are no real rules, but people tebd to agree to not want to see some specific stuff in duels. Those things mostly are said to be dishonorable and give a real advantage over the enemy. Thats why most people dont like following things in duels:
    Cost poisons
    Immo pots
    Duroks bane
    LOSing
    Permacloak

In tournaments lots of rules are present, which also prohibit much more sets.

In duels on Xbox EU, all of those are common with the least common being LOS'ing.

Immovable speed pots seem to be a standard go-to in duels for need-assistance-players, the same people are aided by one or more other things on that list generally speaking - You just have to get on with it.

I'd add to this list ult dumping from the start of a duel (Mainly bad NB's Incapping you because nothing else to do)

I personally don't like perma cloak - I don't ask people not to use it but when you're in and out like you're doing the hokey cokey, it's a bit weak and the same people soon kick up a fuss if you use a detection pot.

I also personally don't like damage reduction builds - guys out there in wizards riposte, as a vamp and whatever else doing the wettest, soggiest damage known to mankind, but can just fight forever. ZZZZ fest - if you're going to duel IMO, be aggressive or at least come in with the intention of killing someone.

When I fight, I tend to stay lower HP and only heal when I absolutely have to - Let people have that big KO chance on their combo.
    I don't love that people take it so seriously and get so scared that they heal to 100% when they're at 95% - But they're the duels you tend to win very easily.
    Edited by BNOC on July 4, 2018 3:25PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What rules do you follow in duels? (No shuffle, no shields, no sloads etc) If any!

I use my ultimate at the beginning of the fight and don't use LoS, everything else allowed.
    What do you deem as dishonourable?

Leaving the area if you are about to lose.
    What do you think shows lack of sportsmanship?

Hate whispers or bragging.
    What type of opponent do you think shows lack of skill and finesse?

Well, can be just about anyone, usually those who lack PvP / duelling experience.
    What sets do you think people cheese with?

No set in particular, mostly pure turtle builds. "Here let me duel you so that I can PURGE BOL BOL BOL PURGE BOL BOL BOL PURGE BOL BOL BOL PURGE BOL BOL BOL...". Alternatively: "here is my 4k/5k/6k HP regen duelling build".
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    There are no dueling rules unless two people agree on them.

this ^
    but, fact is:
    no matter what happens, someone is allways going to have a problem somewhere about what you did or what you wore or what skill you used.
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No rules, everyone should duel in their open world builds - this is what you want to train for right? :smiley:

Though, as magsorc I find disrespectful usage of harness in magsorc vs magsorc (I don’t use harness against anyone as it is unfair) mines, LOS pets, wings, cost poisons
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloaking for more than 5 seconds and LOS don't have any place in a duel.
    Edited by Yusuf on July 4, 2018 11:18PM
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No weapons no armour no skills

Just punches
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If nothing is agreed to in advance, everything is fair.

Commonly accepted rules are to dump your ultimate first, no immovable pots, no resource poisons. Often, guilds or groups agree to ban whatever the current cheese-meta set is.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I duel with whatever open-world build I'm running or testing at the time. The point of duelling, for me, is to test builds in controlled, repeatable fights. I'm not that good, so this is where I'm at. If someone wants to wear Sloads, use cost poisons or immov potions, that's fine by me. After all, that's what I might face open-world.

I regard immov potions as integral to stamina management. It would be pointless not to use them, if your build is designed to use them. A well-designed build uses all available resources, stacking as much damage as possible, and having just enough of everything else. For example, if your magicka character only uses stamina for CC break and sustains with immov pots, then use them. It doesn't matter that it's a duel. You can only be CCd every 7 seconds either way. If anything a good dueller will CC you more frequently than many open world players.

The OP is obviously trolling by suggesting Shuffle or shields might be frowned upon, but then everyone has their pet peeves, and most are ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. Duelling tournaments are different. If you want to ban Shield Breaker, Durok's Bane, and so on, from a tournament, then that encourages build variety, and I'm all for it.

The only reason I might not duel someone again is if we previously stalemated, either because we had a long fight and were very evenly matched, or because there was an obvious reason, e.g. because the other person wore Meridia or was a pure tank or healer. I think Meridia is a phase, though. Some lower CP players wear that set so they have a chance, and I don't mind.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing dishonourable in duels is to whine and gripe and hate-whisper and badmouth someone if 1) they reject your duel invite, or 2) they win.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    The only thing dishonourable in duels is to whine and gripe and hate-whisper and badmouth someone if 1) they reject your duel invite, or 2) they win.

I was werai g my farming g gear gzot bad mother's for declininv accepted and lost got told I should be adhered to duel being so bad and got hate whispers for another 30inutes telling me to quite the game so I put on my cyrodil sets (trans and wizrep) reset my skill bar asked for another duel killed him dead in about three seconds and got more hate whispers about how I'm a cheat and my mother was going to get some fun with whom I presume is an underage boy later that evening

Pretty much put me off dueling anyone I don't know hence my new rule of total naked boxing
    Edited by SugaComa on July 5, 2018 9:58AM
  • heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    No sword and board
  • Imagawa
    Imagawa
    ✭✭✭
    Our tournaments have a 4 minute rule, then it goes to the judges.
    You have to actually try to kill the opponent, not just shield stack and burst heal the whole time.
    TANK - that's all I do.