The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fishing needs an overhaul. My thoughts...

loudent
loudent
✭✭✭
So I enjoyed fishing in a number of other MMOs and thought I would here but it's really not interesting. It needs a bit of an overhaul. My ideas:

1) Can we get a fishing skill? It could just be something that lets you catch higher level fish and/or reduce the wait time. I don't need much, just something that can be improved

2) Reduce the wait time. Maybe it's the simplicity of the system (casting always succeeds) but the wait time seems really long. So far the average seems around 25 - 30 with my max at 45. Seriously just sitting at the computer staring at the screen for almost a minute then reacting. I say aim for between 3-15 seconds

3) Break it up into multiple steps. Part of the problem is that it's just : press key....wait...press key, repeat. Give us something else to do. Maybe casting or something. A lot of other games do fishing really well it's not like we don't have something to go on.

4) Fishing gear: I actually like that there isn't a fishing pole to equip because I think they really messed up with the inventory system and I'm not interested in hauling around another set of items. But it would be nice if you could get something to improve fishing. Perhaps reading a book could give a permanent 5% time reduction or something. heck, tie it to a fishing skill and then it's easy.

EDIT:
5) Can we get a use for fish. It seems really weird there are no fish recipes in the game.

This is just off the top of my head. Any other ideas out there?
Edited by loudent on April 3, 2014 5:54PM
  • dareakenb14_ESO
    I agree that at the moment it just a waste of time.
    You end up harvesting the bait, find a fishing spot, casting, waiting forever and catch a fish that sells for 3g. What am I missing here? Having a fishing rod slot like your jewelry slot would be good.
  • kurt18thb14a_ESO
    There aren't any fish recipes at all? My only purpose for fishing was with the intention that eventually I'd have recipes to make with them...
  • Shea
    Shea
    There are fishing achievements in case you haven't seen them. Quite a lot of them and a title award if you get them all.
  • PicassoTrigger
    you don't even get to sell most of the fish, you get to see the crazy value in gold but it never goes into inventory.
  • IdioticUlt1mara
    I agree so far i have found fishing useless .... except for the bug before the first patch that let u get an awesome item in stonefalls
    Your Local Scottish Lets Player Here To Conquer All For The Pact. Also <3 You All
  • Ainilome
    Ainilome
    ✭✭
    Aww, you can't even cook with them? :( Poor useless fish.

I'm happy that fishing is in game as it's been a favorite past time of mine in previous games but I really hope that they add more to it. WoW and FFXI both had some really fun systems to borrow from.
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    I wished the fishing was more interesting like Ocarina of Time. Can't remember a game with a better fishing experience.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes - this fishing seems to be rather half-baked. Even relatively easy stuff like moving "used bait" to the junk category hasn't been done.