Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What to do with people waiting to be carried in dungeons

mrtudi
mrtudi
I have made 2 damage dealer characters in the past, since the mechanics attracted me very much, I've almost never had trouble in random dungeons with other people not doing their job or queuing with fake roles, so I decided "Hey, tanking looks fun, let's make a tank!" - worst decision of my life. It suddenly happens that about 95% of people never do what they are supposed to do. Especially DDs. Most people go afk at the entrance and DC after about 2-3 minutes. Damage dealers do at most just heavy attacks, if not just stand still during the fight casting invisibility over and over again, healers are usually fake healers, damage dealers with restoration staves doing light attacks. I installed combat metrics to see why dungeons went so slowly, apparently with Torug's pact and Shacklebreaker sets on heavy armor I get a stable 6k dps, out of the team damage that is usually 10k. So my question is, how can I solo carry random dungeons without fake queuing and changing my character to a damage dealer? 30 minutes for Spindleclutch 1 is getting frustrating VERY quickly.
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So my question is, how can I solo carry random dungeons without fake queuing and changing my character to a damage dealer? 30 minutes for Spindleclutch 1 is getting frustrating VERY quickly.

Run with a guild, dont pug.
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • YamiKuruku
    YamiKuruku
    ✭✭✭✭
    hmm personally i had the experience that vet dungeons are much more successful (or atleast i rarely stumble over bow light attack spammers and s&b dds) xD so i would say just try that but no idea how many CPs you have or how comfortable you are tanking vet stuff

If not, try to talk to the people.
    Some players are really clueless and are happy for every help, if that does not work and people either ignore you or don't want to listen then try to vote kick them or leave yourself?
    Nothing you can do if someone does not want to play in a team
    -{ PC EU }-
    CP 810+
    x Khazadaar > lvl50 EP | Khajiit magblade | Main&Master Crafter | Bloodletter
    x Mazayee-Kajthux > lvl 50 EP | Argonian Warden Healer | Godslayer
    x Margaux the Undying > lvl50 DC | Breton Templar Healer | Tick-Tock Tormentor
    x Fendryn Olms >lvl 50 EP | Dunmer Necro Healer | Gryphon Heart
    xCassius Pavo > lvl50 EP | Imperial Necrotank | Bringer of Light
    x Haj Xal >lvl50 EP | Argonian Healblade | Immortal Redeemer
    x Caessia>lvl 50EP | Imperial Warden Tank | Bringer of Light
    x Andre Valere >lvl 50 AD | Breton SorcTank | Gryphon Heart
    x S'zhan'ir >lvl 50 EP | Khajiit StamDen| Alpha Predator
    x Ri'zaad Sajhan >lvl 50 EP | Khajiit DKTank | extinguisher of flames
    x Mi'ra-Do>lvl 50EP | Khajiit magPlar | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    x Minwe Elsinor>lvl 50EP | Altmer MagDen | Dovahkriid
    x Velen Dres > lvl50 EP | Dunmer Magcro | Voice of Reason
    x Perathea > lvl50 AD | Argonian MagDK
    x Myvth >lvl 50 EP | Dunmer StamDK | Plague of Peryite
    x Nephaal Telvanni > lvl50 EP | dunmer MagSorc | Voice of Reason
    x Ko'haana > lvl50 AD | Khajiit Magsorc
    x Zasha gra-Lashk > lvl50 EP | Orc Stamcro
    xCassius Pavo > lvl50 EP | Imperial Necrotank | Bringer of Light
  • mrtudi
    mrtudi
    YamiKuruku wrote: »
    Some players are really clueless and are happy for every help

So far only 1 person was happy to listen to how to run the dungeon.
    My tank is only level 32 at the moment due to inhumanly slow dungeon running and questing, so veteran is sadly out the question.
    Thank you very much for the advice though ^^.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kick or leave - what else you can do?
    Teach? Talk? For free? Pfff
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've actually had reasonable luck/fun pugging normals. I run a CP750 templar healer who's a 'real' one but she does slot a touch more damage than pure heals for these. She actually finds it a hoot to try and keep younger/inexperienced players alive while doing a notable % of the damage herself. By slotting sweeps + channel focus, she can 'face tank' a boss all day long if she has to while still keeping up mutagen, springs, extended ritual, eledrain, shards, etc. I'm not trying to solo the dungeon; rather, trying to help my ragtagpug group survive and complete it.

That said, I don't pug normals that have mechanics that actually require coordinated mechanics to survive. That would be like herding cats - no thanks. Lol.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on July 4, 2018 2:33AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I assume you are talking vet dungeons, if so, don't pug.

My recent experiences are only in normals and revolve around fake tanks. Don't queue in dungeon finder as a tank if you come in with a 2 handed weapon, no taunt slotted and proceed to reverse slice/slash everything in sight.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Rehdaun
    Rehdaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it's already been said but don't run with randoms unless you have to. Run with friends and guildies. You get to complete more content at a quicker pace and have fun doing it since you all know each other.

• Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Easy solution

Step 1: Run normals
    Step 2: up your dps health to 25 to 30000 or so, easily done with heath or healing sets, even in medium armour
    Step 3: slot a taunt to stop the boss wandering away
    Step 4: kill stuff >:)

Seriousely, at this point my solo builds regards pug groups as an affectionate form of hand luggage, if they ask for help or for me to slow down so they can get a quest stage then I will oblige no problem, even if they want to listen to all the dialogue, otherwise this freight train is heading for the end boss via as big a pile of dead trash mobs as possible... and no... we are not skipping any pulls B)
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simple solution - but on ZOS side.

Undaunted introductory quest should be implemented as small instance. A player should dodge couple attacks, interrupt boss couple times and show DPS at least 5K - with some narrative explanations from NPC. Only after finishing such instance player can join random queues.

• rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Usually what you should do if is to leave after first boss if the group DPS is 10k. Talking to he people when they barely do 4k dps is not an option.

Don't worry there is a lot of need for tanks for vet dungeons and trials. So try to get into several dungeon&trial guilds and look for people there. They will be more than happy do dungeons with you and it will be a more pleasant experience.

As as DD there is also a similar problem where the other 3 people doing the random dungeon are fakes. It has become more and more common for lol level player to queue into a dungeon and just light attack adds so that they can get agro on them so that the experienced player can kill them and thus carry them for experience. In such cases what me and my friends do is we don't attack adds at all and just skip and focus on bosses.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bring a DD friend along with you so the two of you can finish the dungeon in a timely manner regardless of what the randoms are doing? That’s what I try to do when I play a support role. Lots of people mark themselves as DD only because they’re not a tank or a healer. *

* Maybe they got yelled at too many times for queuing as a fake tank or a fake healer.
    Edited by Slurg on July 5, 2018 6:48PM
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrtudi wrote: »
    YamiKuruku wrote: »
    Some players are really clueless and are happy for every help

So far only 1 person was happy to listen to how to run the dungeon.
    My tank is only level 32 at the moment due to inhumanly slow dungeon running and questing, so veteran is sadly out the question.
    Thank you very much for the advice though ^^.
    You have been very unlucky, it tend to be so many alts and cp players doing them that they are mostly very easy.
    Yes its exceptions, had one nBC2 failing on Indril as only my warden healer was doing AoE.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soella wrote: »
    Simple solution - but on ZOS side.

Undaunted introductory quest should be implemented as small instance. A player should dodge couple attacks, interrupt boss couple times and show DPS at least 5K - with some narrative explanations from NPC. Only after finishing such instance player can join random queues.
    Good idea, you have to fight some trash and an boss, perhaps have an tank and healer npc and a few scenarios.
    Using AoE on lots of weak enemies, getting out of stupid, dodge and interrupt.
    Could also be used for tank and healer qualification and training if it had an vet version.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually carry them if it's a normal one, or even an easier base game veteran ones (ex. CoA 1) unless they repeatedly mess up mechanics despite written and visual indication about them. If they keep messing up and dragging down the group I vote to kick and if that fails I leave the group. But even if I queue as tank I don't actually spec for it. Rather I run a full sustaining DD setup - the one I have on by default on every character and do vMA with - and slot Inner Rage. In most dungeons I even forego the latter since I can keep aggro on myself just doing damage, on average about 60% of group DPS even if I get assigned as tank, 30-35K ST in absolute terms.

As for leveling a tank I don't actually do it. Leveling as tank is painfully slow, be it random dungeons or straight grind, so it's inefficient. Rather I run a full DD setup wearing 5 light or medium and 1-2 heavy and fill my bar with 2-3 1H+S skills. This way I train HA & 1H+S skills without actually basing my build around it. Normally I do that after I hit 50 but it's doable at low levels too, provided you have unlocked a DPS skill line and a few skills. Ex. I go 2H/Bow 1/5/1, put Brawler & Rally on 2H bar and fill the rest with 1H+S and go trough the dolmen circuit in a fast area like Auridon or Deshaan. Since I do it post 50 it's usually the latter as PD & MS purples sell pretty well and the others can level jewelry crafting on other chars. Leveling 10-50 is standard DD setup in nMA - it gives tons of XP.
    Edited by Asardes on July 6, 2018 2:59PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I usually carry them if it's a normal one, or even an easier base game veteran ones (ex. CoA 1) unless they repeatedly mess up mechanics despite written and visual indication about them. If they keep messing up and dragging down the group I vote to kick and if that fails I leave the group. But even if I queue as tank I don't actually spec for it. Rather I run a full sustaining DD setup - the one I have on by default on every character and do vMA with - and slot Inner Rage. In most dungeons I even forego the latter since I can keep aggro on myself just doing damage, on average about 60% of group DPS even if I get assigned as tank, 30-35K ST in absolute terms.

As for leveling a tank I don't actually do it. Leveling as tank is painfully slow, be it random dungeons or straight grind, so it's inefficient. Rather I run a full DD setup wearing 5 light or medium and 1-2 heavy and fill my bar with 2-3 1H+S skills. This way I train HA & 1H+S skills without actually basing my build around it. Normally I do that after I hit 50 but it's doable at low levels too, provided you have unlocked a DPS skill line and a few skills. Ex. I go 2H/Bow 1/5/1, put Brawler & Rally on 2H bar and fill the rest with 1H+S and go trough the dolmen circuit in a fast area like Auridon or Deshaan. Since I do it post 50 it's usually the latter as PD & MS purples sell pretty well and the others can level jewelry crafting on other chars. Leveling 10-50 is standard DD setup in nMA - it gives tons of XP.

Then just use the free respec scrolls you get from level rewards. ez pz
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS