Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Scalecaller Peak: what tanking sets to use

Carcharodontosaurus
I really want to do scalecaller peak veteran, and since my DPS character isn't high enough I thought maybe I could do it as a tank. As tank I usually run torug's pact and plague doctor. Should I replace plague doctor with something else for this dungeon? When i tried it in veteran I couldn't get past the gargoyle but the two trolls were a breeze
I have an imperial dragonknight with 60 points in health and 4 points in stamina. Any advice?
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve only considered switching sets to go for some of the harder achievements in here but if you just want a vet clear the bread and butter tanking gear is more than fine imo.

What about the gargoyle boss specifically was giving you trouble?
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First, you use glyphs for health and put your points in Stam and magicka, have your stam just a bit higher than your magicka.

Those DLC Dungeons are Tank Intensive, fang lair moreso than VSCP, but still.

Unless you can get a carry by good DPS, you're not gonna make it and tbh there is just TOOO MUCH to type to explain why right now. (for me)

Get leeching plate, for one thing though. Also Earthgore Monster set could save your life, I use it sometimes if we have no healer.
    Edited by Mureel on July 4, 2018 2:56AM
  • Carcharodontosaurus
    Left4Daud wrote: »
    I’ve only considered switching sets to go for some of the harder achievements in here but if you just want a vet clear the bread and butter tanking gear is more than fine imo.

What about the gargoyle boss specifically was giving you trouble?

The gargoyle's bleeds were giving me trouble, even if I dodge a couple attacks when one lands it's very difficult after that, especially when the heavy attack right before that removes around 20k health even when blocking.
    I suppose i should mention spell and physical resistance are around 30k and 21k respectively.
    Mureel wrote: »
    First, you use glyphs for health and put your points in Stam and magicka, have your stam just a bit higher than your magicka.

Those DLC Dungeons are Tank Intensive, fang lair moreso than VSCP, but still.

Unless you can get a carry by good DPS, you're not gonna make it and tbh there is just TOOO MUCH to type to explain why right now. (for me)

Get leeching plate, for one thing though. Also Earthgore Monster set could save your life, I use it sometimes if we have no healer.

Regarding earthgore, i have helm but not shoulders, rng has not been kind to me, will sentinel of rhukgraz or the pirate set work?
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean you can dodge roll the heavy attacks but it is risky obviously.

If you are pugging and not running with a dedicated healer you can trust you need be able to take care of yourself. If your physical resistance is only 21k fully buffed that is a little low in my opinion. I would shoot for 27k resistances fully buffed as a bare minimum for vet dlc pugs. Anything extra and up to the mitigation cap is just gravy.

I only play a khajiit Nightblade tank and I just block the gargoyle heavy while pre-casting shadow cloak. I get my major resistance buffs for the big hit, minor protection, and a heal over time that tops me right back to full health, outhealing the blocked heavy and the bleed dot.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run 5/1/1 Torugs & Ebon with all tri enchants & 2x mag recovery monster set. Tanked this a couple times on my NB.

Just make sure you've got some self heals. Tbh the dungeon is more mechanics than anything.

EDIT: Also helpful to run chain or leash to get ads together as the main reason for death (in my experience) is getting overrun with ads.
    Edited by Sparr0w on July 4, 2018 10:06AM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're having difficulties self-healing you can try bahrahas curse, but any vanilla tank setup (ebon+alkosh for ex) works. Your current setup is probably fine, but if you want to min/max it go I suggest Woeler.eu guides.

What mechanic are you dying to in this fight?
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargoyle trick = range taunt one at a time till you get to the boss. I then keep the boss in the middle of the room so when the orb comes down dps can circle the boss & still do damage.

Edit, I ran this with 32k health 23k mag&stam. You may want to stick some points into stam/mag so you can actually self sustain. Health is great for a trial but in the dungeon your healer will be a little preoccupied to focus healing you. Roll dodging is nice, also try to get your spell/physical resistances close to 30k each, shouldn't need any CP into heavy armour or spell resistance, just make sure to run heavy big pieces, maybe 1 monster piece or your chest extra resistances.
    Edited by Sparr0w on July 4, 2018 1:58PM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • montjie
    montjie
    ✭✭✭
    Used to run BS+Ebon+Dragonguard, currently using LW+Ebon+Dragonguard cause healer didnt like my health drops lol, planning on using LW+Dragonguard+Jorvuld if i get my final Jorvuld piece
    Having your own heal over time (vigor) works miracles tanking the gargoyle imo. If you dodge roll his heavy attack keep in mind his heavy attacks take a bit longer than usual to charge which can make you roll too early wasting stam, positioning and still taking damage.
    - easy farmable saltbucket -
    - retired QQ king of Daggerfall Covenant PC-EU Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/weird dragon name/Ravenwatch zone chat -
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use plague, seducer and chudan, alter my attributes to have about 38k health, 16-17k stam, 2k mag regen, 31k resistances. We run 3 dps in both scale and fang. This is my fang lair set up but still does ok in Scale. I have 2k mag regen for spamming wings, talons and heals. It may not be the best but works for me on 330 ping.

The bleed has a large aoe that must be avoided, but I almost never have trouble out healing it using igneous and gdb. The heavy attacks from all gargoyles are pretty easy to see. I just try to kite the aoe/lasers and block the heavy attacks. When I can spare mag I use wings for the adds which seem to hit very hard.

I range taunt the gargoyles one at a time but I have tanked all three. Use magma shell and/or perma block as long as you can.
  • BadSerpico
    BadSerpico
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to do scalecaller peak veteran, and since my DPS character isn't high enough I thought maybe I could do it as a tank. As tank I usually run torug's pact and plague doctor. Should I replace plague doctor with something else for this dungeon? When i tried it in veteran I couldn't get past the gargoyle but the two trolls were a breeze
    I have an imperial dragonknight with 60 points in health and 4 points in stamina. Any advice?

Use eathgore helm shoulder combo, dodge as many swipes as you can but I’d you get hit spam igneouse sheilds and heal with pot or GDB
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebon is very helpful for the group. You don’t really need Torugs IMO, since it only adds about 1% to group DPS, and Infused Crusher can have nearly 100% uptime without Torugs. Alkosh is always nice if you are getting enough synergies (typically you would want a Templar shards and Sorc conduits to get good uptime). There’s nothing wrong with using a selfish set like Dragon or Plague Doctor when you are learning the mechanics.
  • troomar
    troomar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used Ebon + Bahraha's Curse + Thorvokun.
    1H&S front bar, Lightning Staff backbar.

42k Health.
    Yes.
  • KamakaziYardbird
    if you on NA PS4 i need to run this dungeon for Zaan
  • Nocturnal_Annoyance
    Same thing I almost always run... alkosh, dragon and bloodspawn.
  • Tetrafy
    Tetrafy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly try s and b and backbar restostaff for survivability. I usually run Plague, and Brass.
  • Princess_Ciri
    Princess_Ciri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have (successfully) tanked vSP HM in Ebon and Alkosh, Powerful Assault and Alkosh and Dragon and Alkosh and I didn't notice much difference in survivability. Monster sets have ranged from Bloodspawn to Lord Warden and Earthgore, all are okay, depends on person preference though I would go for Lord Warden if you decide to tank in PA and Alkosh since you will have quite low resistances.

I doubt your gear is the problem, though Plague Doctor and Torugs are a bit meh, if I'm honest. If your healer is good and your DDs are capable of killing things you should be able to get through the dungeon, though it's hard to tell without seeing you play :)

If the gargoyle is giving you issues it's either because DPS are killing the boss too fast so too many orbs spawn and the fight gets too messy, or people are just playing bad and getting turned into stone by the beams. Beyond that the fight is really very straight forward.
    GM and raid leader of Hot Girls Play DPS, the cutest guild EU