The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What's your biggest refining disappointment?

Ragebull
Ragebull
✭✭✭✭✭
Mine was just now

1,200 Ore - 1 Temp Alloy (I mean come on it's bad enough that ingots aren't even worth selling lol)

700 - Ruby Ash - 0 Rosin

600 Ancestor Silk/ 800 Scraps - 2 Druegh Wax

800 plat dust - 0 Gold grains

I'm a max level crafter, idk why this happening more often now. Why is bad rng like that even possible? This is the type of thing that'll make me quit way sooner than some lag or crashes every now and then
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't refine large amounts of mats... I only refine them when I need them.

Because I like to just sell the raw mats for tons of money if i get too much of them.
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Platinum dust is a weird one

I've done 500 for nothing

Yesterday i did 12 ( 1 click ) and got a Chromium .

RNG
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    12k wood..... 4 rosin :(
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it seems that I get better rng by refining smaller amounts. So I try not to refine more than a stack at a time. I also forget and end up with a crap ton to do.
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That time I refined a couple stacks of mats before realizing I forgot to put points into the refinement passive. I was wondering why I was only getting honing stones...
  • Aarlur
    Aarlur
    ✭✭✭
    Its rng. Average is 1 gold/200 raw materials.
  • Valkysas154
    Valkysas154
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time i refining a piece of jewelry.
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not exactly refining but i once filleted 648 fish before i got a roe
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Left4Daud wrote: »
    That time I refined a couple stacks of mats before realizing I forgot to put points into the refinement passive. I was wondering why I was only getting honing stones...

I refine about every six months...without question - I'll forget to assign the refinement skill points...

I'm getting better at remembering it though, and, will only perform a half dozen or so refinements before I remember to assign the refinement skill points...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • theskymoves
    theskymoves
    ✭✭✭✭
    3500 Ruby Ash, a whopping 1 Rosin.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I usually get 3-6ish tempers per stack. I only refine small amounts at a time. If you're using an auto refine add on, for me at least, I've notice you get fewer tempers.
    Edited by D0PAMINE on June 30, 2018 10:25PM
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it seems that I get better rng by refining smaller amounts. So I try not to refine more than a stack at a time. I also forget and end up with a crap ton to do.

I thought I was imagining it. Every time I rush through refining I hardly ever get anything of value, so I try to make sure I do it really slowly, and the results are usually better. How can this be the case though?

Edit: One thing I have noticed is, since Summerset, I hardly ever get kuta from runestones anymore. I will do an enchanting survey and often walk away with no kutas at all.
    Edited by BretonMage on June 30, 2018 11:35PM
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over 1200 rubedo leather with 1 wax. Wasn't fun, but I didn't sweat it. I just remember the times I got way more than expected. Or expect a good showing sometime soon. Haven't been wrong yet.

Last week I wanted divines spriggans gloves. Went to bankorai found a random chest and got them. Then I did 120 dolmen (mostly solo) for a green pact necklace and finally gave up and bought one. Cheap anyways. Then one time I got a super rare painting.

I'm sure there's some poor sap with awful awful luck, but for the vast majority of us it really does even out. Always remember total rng. Not any given task or goal.
  • ihazzit
    ihazzit
    ✭✭✭
    Ragebull wrote: »
    Mine was just now

1,200 Ore - 1 Temp Alloy (I mean come on it's bad enough that ingots aren't even worth selling lol)

700 - Ruby Ash - 0 Rosin

600 Ancestor Silk/ 800 Scraps - 2 Druegh Wax

800 plat dust - 0 Gold grains

I'm a max level crafter, idk why this happening more often now. Why is bad rng like that even possible? This is the type of thing that'll make me quit way sooner than some lag or crashes every now and then

Wish I had a good answer for you OP but I just don't know. I played on the PC/EU server since early last year and my rng has been relatively bad, a little better than your numbers, but not by much. So I started on my NA account in January and have had more rng fortune with one character in 5 months than all of my EU characters combined, by far, including multiple apex mounts, gold motifs, purple and gold recipes, I get about 1 gold temper per 100 refined raw mats - several times getting up to 8 gold tempers/wax/rosin in a row - just to name a few things.

So I understand your sentiment concerning quitting because I had that on the EU server and I don't want to login to my EU account any more at all but only do so because of a few friends I've made and I don't even have any crashing and lag issues.
    If you are angry about anything in this game you are only punishing yourself.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not refine small amounts as OP did so the odds even out and I get what I should.
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once I refined 35 noobs and only got a 10th of a gold salted tear drop.
    Xbox One Na
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    3k ore. 0 alloys.

Never farmed ore once after that.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Over 1200 rubedo leather with 1 wax. Wasn't fun, but I didn't sweat it. I just remember the times I got way more than expected. Or expect a good showing sometime soon. Haven't been wrong yet.

Last week I wanted divines spriggans gloves. Went to bankorai found a random chest and got them. Then I did 120 dolmen (mostly solo) for a green pact necklace and finally gave up and bought one. Cheap anyways. Then one time I got a super rare painting.

I'm sure there's some poor sap with awful awful luck, but for the vast majority of us it really does even out. Always remember total rng. Not any given task or goal.

It's actually cheaper to buy Kuta than to farm it, imo that i've noticed from Morrowind.

Edit: I quoted the wrong person and am too lazy to do anything about it. My bad :)
    Edited by D0PAMINE on July 1, 2018 7:42AM
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything jewelry