The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New Magicka weapon concept idea

Wysguy99
Wysguy99
✭✭
People have talked about wands potentially being added to the game(some even suggested a dual wield concept for it with one wand in each hand) I came up with two different ideas one revolving around “bound” weapons another revolving around a concept of talismans

1. “Bound” weapons: a new skill line(maybe maybe not), but essentially magicka versions of otherwise stamina weapons like daggers, bows, axes, etc only you equip it like normal and when you pull it out your character essentially casts a very fast spell to conjur it. The bound weapons though would give magicka on hit instead of stam and the weapon abilities would then cost magicka

2. Talismans: you equip one in each hand, but there are multiple different ones fire, Frost, shock, etc. each one allows you to cast that spell directly from your hand like Skyrim only since they would no longer cost magicka you would have to recharge the talismans every so often (like an enchantment) otherwise you suffer a damage penalty like vampirism feeding(<just a thought, but probably wouldn’t be the case). Some talismans would have a farther duration but do less damage then others, or do superior damage, but have a shorter range, and one of the passive for the skill line would(of could) allow you to equip a separate talisman in each hand and when you activate it, it does a hybrid version, example
fire+lightning= medium damage with increased range (fire having higher damage than lightning, but inferior rand to lightning

Combat mechanics: the same way you swing a light attack with a sword or a heavy attack with a staff, the light attack of a pair of fire talismans would shoot a fireball(longer range than heavy attack), the heavy attack would be a blaze(visually would look similar to the fire breath do ability)

And similar to a staff it would have a limited duration that it could cast its heavy attack for

Acquisition thinking that jewelry crafting would actually make the most sense here, a talisman could be seen similarly to a necklace material wise
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Still thinking one-handed and rune is gonna be in the game soon. It's been datamined, and I distinctly remember Wrobel saying something about a "new weapon skill line" during a stream earlier this year.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still thinking one-handed and rune is gonna be in the game soon. It's been datamined, and I distinctly remember Wrobel saying something about a "new weapon skill line" during a stream earlier this year.

Like we need more buffs for magicka lol. You think people are crying about mag sorcs now...
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

Like we need more buffs for magicka lol. You think people are crying about mag sorcs now...

Diversity and buffs aren't the same thing.
    Another weapon would mean dropping something else (fire/lighting staves).

This game is pretty far off from being like any Elder Scroll game in terms of magic if you haven't noticed.

I endorse the idea of 1H and rune, hence, battlemage could finally be a thing.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A melee-based magicka weapon would be killer, something that scales light/heavy attack damage off of spelldam and magicka but provides the same spellpower as DW or 2H. I don't even care if the abilities are terrible, I'll just use it for the stats.
  • Wysguy99
    Wysguy99
    ✭✭
    SirMewser wrote: »

I endorse the idea of 1H and rune, hence, battlemage could finally be a thing.

Yeah I was going to put something in there about 1 handed, which could be a cool hybrid of stamina/magicka returning light and heavy attacks, but I’m not sure how that would work button wise, how would one then determine whether they attacked with the sword or the talisman. I also thought it might look weird if visually they were swinging the sword and firing off a spell simultaneously, but it would be a cool mechanic
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all this great ideas hit PvP wall
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bound weapons, but instead of a total mag flip of stam weapons incl abilitites, its simply a mend wounds style toggle that gives maj sorcery and makes your LA/HA with stam weapons deal magic damage, and heavies to restore mag. Nothing else.

That way it allows mag to run melee weapons for their unique strengths whilst being able to utilize the utility of LA/HAs so it doesn't have too much of a loss, without completely overwriting stam classes. It would take 1 slot, but of a utility skill, for example entropy.

It would still use the weapons you have equipped for balance reasons. Put it into the soul magic tree, where it makes sense for the whole daedric vestige thing.
    Edited by ak_pvp on June 30, 2018 8:28PM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Wysguy99
    Wysguy99
    ✭✭
    ak_pvp yeah I agree, and it would be a lot less programming on the devs part potentially