The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

More than a month an no Master Writs?!?!?

MonkLoHan
MonkLoHan
✭✭✭
Been doing all six dailies for a month now on two characters and havent seen received any master writs. What gives? Is this just bad luck or is anyone else having this issue?

One character is lvl 50 in all crafts and still no master writs. Could it be due to me having 4 old ones in my inventory that I have yet to complete (due to not knowing the motifs)?
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭
    Bad RNG. As simple as that.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have ~ 50 stored Masterwrits (doing most of them when the chest is full) and still getting them.

I did notice a very unlikely big proportion of jewellery writs (only one mastercrafter and 4 writs in ~ 4 weeks) compared to the other crafts (4-6 mastercrafters for each of the other crafts), but they drop.

Please note that the number of motifs increased ... i.e. the effect of known motifs (if unchanged compared to pre SI) on dropchance might be slightly reduced. (Pleae note this is an uneducated guess only)
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    MonkLoHan wrote: »
    Been doing all six dailies for a month now on two characters and havent seen received any master writs. What gives? Is this just bad luck or is anyone else having this issue?

One character is lvl 50 in all crafts and still no master writs. Could it be due to me having 4 old ones in my inventory that I have yet to complete (due to not knowing the motifs)?

Pretty sure having some in inventory doesn't matter. If you accept them, then sure you can't accept any more until you complete those accepted. I regularly wait until I have a dozen or more in inventory before I make all the items required and then accept a MW of each type and turn it in, then accept next MW's and turn in, repeat until all turned in.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only 50 level writs gives master writs - so only one of your character matter if I understood you correctly. Number of known motifs/traits affect probability as well. But still it looks like very bad luck even for one toon.
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They seem to hit the rates with a big nerf every year around new chapter time. With all the motifs I added during the yearly anniversary event my rate seems to have gone down.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The rng gremlins are displeased with you.

Recently I've been getting at least one master writ every two/three days. However I've gone at least a month without getting any at all, so I don't think its unusual or broken.
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as you have your skills maxed I would say it is rng. My main crafter went 3 weeks with nothing while my secondary crafters picked one up everyother day, then my main grabbed a decent clothing writ and back to back 40's from provisioning over the last two days, so likely it is just rng.
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soella wrote: »
    Only 50 level writs gives master writs - so only one of your character matter if I understood you correctly. Number of known motifs/traits affect probability as well. But still it looks like very bad luck even for one toon.

your character needs to be level 50 in the craft AND have all the skill points invested in the first skills of the crafts to be able to get master writs!!
    PC-EU @lientier
  • FastBen
    FastBen
    ✭✭✭
    Your characters also have to be above lvl 50, not only their crafting abilities. As far as I know if your character is under lvl 50, no matter all your crafting skills are maxed you will not get a master writ.
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more style chapters you have (especially rare ones) the higher your chance to get master writs
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FastBen wrote: »
    Your characters also have to be above lvl 50, not only their crafting abilities. As far as I know if your character is under lvl 50, no matter all your crafting skills are maxed you will not get a master writ.

No, this isn't true. Beeing Level 50 in the craft is enough for masterwrits. (I own 3 low-level Mastercrafter)
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »
    No, this isn't true. Beeing Level 50 in the craft is enough for masterwrits. (I own 3 low-level Mastercrafter)

Level 50 in the craft skill is not enough. You need to do the max tier writs which means you need to put enough skill points in the 'main' crafting skill to get them.
  • jcasini222ub17_ESO
    jcasini222ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talk about crazy rng... It took me over a year to get provisioning master writ drop. Before you ask yes I am level 50 in provisioning and all crafts save for jewelry.

Meanwhile the others drop pretty regularly. Thankfully I do get alot of alchemy/enchanter ones. Very easy to complete those.
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭
    Talk about crazy rng... It took me over a year to get provisioning master writ drop. Before you ask yes I am level 50 in provisioning and all crafts save for jewelry.

Meanwhile the others drop pretty regularly. Thankfully I do get alot of alchemy/enchanter ones. Very easy to complete those.

My ONLY provisioning master writ is for a staggering 2 writ vouchers... kinda broken lol.
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    testd4n1 wrote: »

My ONLY provisioning master writ is for a staggering 2 writ vouchers... kinda broken lol.

I always get the same 2 and they are 40 each. (Sadly, they take 2 perfect roe each)
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the "all six" reference is part of the deal. With Jewel Crafting being added, the RNG algorithm is probably rolling you a jewelry writ, and then deciding you can't have it. Throw in a bit of the Murphy's law that dictates any random process gives you a lot of duplicates, and there you have it...
  • MinuitPro
    MinuitPro
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, the level of the skill is not the factor; rather having the top-tier passive. You need to be maxed to use the highest quality resource(s) in your daily writ for a master writ to drop.

I could go into detail on each separate crafting line but I think you get the idea... you need to be able to craft the best possible item.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also a lot of confusion about what factors affect the rate of drop. E.g. for equipment crafting, knowing a lot of motif chapters doesn't help if they don't add up to complete motifs. And that may affect the one character, or the whole account - opinions differ on that part. You can certainly get master writs with a character who barely qualifies - L50 with 10/10 on the material passive - even if they only know a few racial styles, but that may because the account's main crafter has the knowledge of motifs that drives the RNG.

Knowing all the rune translations (except Hakeijo, which is almost impossible to obtain) will help get enchanting writs. Knowing a lot of recipes - especially high-level ones - helps get Provisioning writs. Alchemists need to know all the ingredients' effects (you can do that at level 1 if you have enough to experiment systematically). You'll also need the Laborarory use passive to actually make the potions and poisons the writs want.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few questions:
    1) Do you actually have all the points invested in the main crafting line passive, so the ordinary writs you receive are actually done at maximum tier? Only maximum tier writs have a chance of dropping master writs as rewards.
    2) Do you have many traits researched on your character? Having all traits researched in a profession increases the chances of getting writs by 10-15% from my experience.
    3) Do you have motifs learned on that character? Motifs known (you need to know the whole motif) do increase the chance of getting master writs, but not as much as traits researched.
    3) Do you have all reagent properties discovered in Alchemy? This is actually easy to do, and it increases the chance by 20-30% at least from my experience.
    4) Have you translated all glyphs in Enchanting? Same as above, the drop rate increases a lot, for me those 2 types of writs drop like candy on all characters.
    5) Do you have provisioning related achievements (Master Chef, Recipe Compendium) and a number of purple and gold recipes learned? Note that only half your writs will have a chance to drop master writs since half the time will ask for CP50 food/drink, and the other half will ask for CP150 food/drink and only the latter has a chance of dropping master writs
    6) Do you have other general crafting achievements (harvesting, refinement, tempering, master writs done) ? There's some proof that those also contribute a small amount towards the chance of getting master writs.
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Crafting_Achievements

From my experience master writs do drop regularly. I'm doing ordinary writs every day on 14 characters one of which has all recipes, all traits researched and most motifs, 3 more have almost done researching traits , 2 more are about halfway researching them, while the remaining 8 have few if any traits researched; all 13 know only the basic motifs learned (blue books, purple books, Mercenary & Hollowjack) and some others I've gotten from free crates and I already knew. All have alchemy properties and glyph translation done, most have the provisioning achievements done as well, and they are slowly learning the cheap CP50-100 purple recipes that also drop from ordinary writs but they are too cheap to be worth selling on guild stores.

Over the last 2 months I've gotten about 5K vouchers worth of writs (using the voucher count function in Daugubon's Lazy Writ Crafter addon). That's an average of about 6 vouchers/character/day. So I suspect there's a systematic mistake you're doing, not just bad RNG, for example not fully allocating points in your skills (#1).
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm only doing daily writs on one crafter at the moment. This is what he has received in the last 6 days, Sunday through Friday:

PysZrvy.jpg

He also got a JC Master Writ, but I put that in storage for some day in the far distant future.

This crafter has every craft skill-line maxed and every passive populated, every crafting achievement got, every motif learnt, and every trait researched except for a few of the ones that hit with Summerset. This is what you have to do if you want to get a steady supply of Master Writs using a small number of crafters.
    PC EU
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if it existed before but this last chapter they stated that Writs would have a better chance the more rare motifs you know. I think they lowered the RNG chance for regular level 50 crafters and raised it for those that know a lot of styles.

My main crafter that knows 50+ styles and usually gets at least one Master writ a day in at least one profession. My other two that are are level 50 in everything but only knows the basic motifs I think I have gotten one each since Summerset launch.

I have yet to ever get a writ award above 90 and I do 4 sets daily. Since Summerset my main crafter has gotten one for 45 and one for 15, the rest have been from 2 to 7. I want to know how these folks get 350 writs when I've never seen one besides being listed in a guild store.

on a side note, 5 years now and I have yet to get a full gold motif in the wild. (that includes beta and launch dates)
    so your RNG is not the only one that sucks.
    Edited by Casdha on June 29, 2018 6:03PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An off-the-wall thought. Summerset just introduced new styles, as well as the new craft. More styles mean you instantly know a smaller proportion of them, as the total just increased, and your known set didn't. The adjustment should have been to re-evaluate with the new counts, but maybe they didn't do it that way.

My main crafter doesn't have much of a motif collection yet, so the adjustment may be working fine for me, but not for those with a full library.
    Edited by ghastley on June 29, 2018 6:13PM
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »

Level 50 in the craft skill is not enough. You need to do the max tier writs which means you need to put enough skill points in the 'main' crafting skill to get them.

Sure you are right, level 50 in the craft as well as the main crafting skill maxed out. But your characters level does not need to be level 50 (and for those asking how to get the necessary skillpoints: fastes way is to skip questing/grinding levels and just go searching for overland skyshards. On alts its a matter of ~ 8h (training gear/weapons/ XP bonus/ rapid maneuver at level 10 / 120 CPs in lover), or level up to 22-24 solemly by unlocking locations as you search for skyshards (no fighting required))
    Edited by Elsterchen on June 30, 2018 8:52AM
  • MonkLoHan
    MonkLoHan
    ✭✭✭
    I finally got a MW yesterday. This just took waaaaay too long.

Got it on my crafter who is CP430 and level 50 in all crafts (except for Jewelry) with all perks in first pessives tree of each (all perks used on clothing).

One of my alts also does crafting but is not yet level 50 in any crafts. Think I'll start using my stockpile of intricate trait items and extra motif books to get her (the alt) up to 50. Hopefully, that will help me obtain more MWs.
    Edited by MonkLoHan on June 30, 2018 11:01PM