The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Returning tank in need of advice

DarkJester1
DarkJester1
✭✭✭
I need to know what dungeon(s) to start out with for practice before I move onto the more difficult dungeons. In other words, the easiest of the hardest. There are so many dungeons, so I have no idea which ones are the "hard" ones and which ones are the "easy" ones. I presume not all veteran are ranked the same, and there's a ton of stuff in craglorn too. Please help me out!
Edited by DarkJester1 on June 30, 2018 1:14PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uhm...what level are you? What made you decide you want to be a tank?

If I can give you a little advice, leveling on a tank is terrible. Low level tanks won’t have enough skill points to be effective. Maybe around level 40 you almost have enough to start.

That being said, start at the beginning of the list. Fungal Grotto. The list goes up in difficulty in order.
  • DarkJester1
    DarkJester1
    ✭✭✭
    I am Stam DK with 454 CP so no problem there. I just never bothered with dungeons until now. Well, outside of pledges, anywho. I am full gold and ready to try though.

Thanks for letting me know!
    Edited by DarkJester1 on June 30, 2018 12:41PM
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the 'Number 1' versions of the Dungeons do seem to be a little easier than the 'Number 2' versions.
    So I would probably start with doing all of those first, and possibly in the order they appear in the group finder.
    Then move onto the No2 versions.

Then make a start on the DLC Dungeons - Do them on Normal mode if you haven't done them already to get the tactics down :)

'Health Build' Tanks, i.e those with 60+ HP are not needed outside of the later DLC Dungeons.
    You can tank pretty much everything with around 30k with no real difficulty, leaving you more to put into resources instead, which will increase you survivability and damage.

Check that your Healer has Shards / Orbs at the beginning of the Dungeon to keep your resources up.
    Taunt the biggest and baddest looking mobs 1st, and chain in any ranged mages / archers.
    Light attack often - and have a Crusher Enchant on your Sword to help group DPS.
    Ask for help on mechanics if you are unsure, most people are pretty accommodating and would rather explain briefly than wipe on a tactic.

Craglorn has delves, similar to all other open world areas. They are just attuned to group play instead of solo.
    You can however solo almost all of them on a decent DPS build. But if you are a Tank, I would suggest taking a DPS along with you otherwise it will take you forever :P And even better, a group of 3 or 4 to just burn through them.

And most of all Good Luck :) Good Tanks are always in short supply.

• Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bloodroot Forge is a excelent dungeon to practice as a tank, especially last boss on HM. In this dungeon, the mechanics are all on the tank most of the time, and last boss will give you a hard time if you have never done it before.

Since you just came back, you can try, in order: Imperial City Prison, Ruins of Mazzatun, Cradle of Shadows, Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Bloodroot Forge. Try getting HM before going to the next, exception made for the Dragon Bones dungeons. Non-DLC dungeons don't require muc of your attention to mechanics as a tank so I don't suggest them as a means of practicing, but you can use them to warm up. I do suggest doing it in normal first if you haven't beaten them before.

As for Craglorn trials, the order doesn't matter that much, the hard part is getting a group that is willingly to train tank and at the same time fit your schedule.
  • DarkJester1
    DarkJester1
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, wow! So helpful! Thanks you two! Especially littlebluelizard! :smiley:

One other question: what should I put my CP into? Right now I am:

75 Shadow Ward
    35 Mooncalf
    40 Warlord

35 Bastion
    40 Heavy Armor Focus
    30 Elemental Defender
    45 Spell Shield

75 Mighty
    75 Master-at-Arms
    Edited by DarkJester1 on June 30, 2018 7:09PM
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to order them too specifically, just divide them into four broad categories.

All Dungeons that have a 1 after the title.

Dungeons that have no number after the title, like Vaults of Madness.

All Dungeons that have a 2 after the title.

DLC dungeons

Approach them in that order.