The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Apartment or Small House

Legendary_Belt
I've been collecting enough gold for a few days just enough to get an apartment. I'm still debating on buying Black Vine Villa instead because it has outdoor & has bigger space. But if I want that house, I'll hv to collect more gold.
Which one is more worth?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hint stealing and fencing will net you 10K or more gold per day per character.

As for housing. Location is the most important aspect, so pick a house near where you tend to travel to anyway.

Also you can get.most of the apartments in the game for free by doing a quest. I think only one per alt, so roll.others if you want more than one.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would start with the free apartments. Once you have them if you are interested in the Black Vine Villa I say buy it, it was the first house I bought and being near a dolmen and a delve in a zone with a popular armor set is plus if you want to farm a bit.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience, I would not buy a small apartment or a small house but wait to get more gold. You can't sell your house to get back the gold, so a tiny amount you earned for it is lost when you realise the house is so small.

I bought an Argonian Humble Mud and while it was cool at the beginning I was very quick interested into buying a bigger house. Than I was farming gold up to over half a milion and bought a medium house in Windhelm. Then realised I need a garden and was slowly earning gold from scratch up to another 1,2 milion. Bought Forsaken Stronghold and finally I feel that it fully meets my expectations and I don't desire more. So, better keep your gold for a bigger house :).
    Edited by Gargath on June 27, 2018 8:00PM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    From my experience, I would not buy a small apartment or a small house but wait to get more gold. You can't sell your house to get back the gold, so a tiny amount you earned for it is lost when you realise the house is so small.

I bought an Argonian Humble Mud and while it was cool at the beginning I was very quick interested into buying a bigger house. Than I was farming gold up to over half a milion and bought a medium house in Windhelm. Then realised I need a garden and was slowly earning gold from scratch up to another 1,2 milion. Bought Forsaken Stronghold and finally I feel that it fully meets my expectations and I don't desire more. So, better keep your gold for a bigger house :).

I would agree with this except I have found the other houses and apartments important for storage even when I don't use them a lot. Plus, they have the advantage of being an additional way point that you can travel to without cost from anywhere. At less than 100,000 gp small houses are very inexpensive in the grand financial scheme of the game making them worth it in my opinion.
  • Lakhitia
    Lakhitia
    ✭✭✭
    I think it all comes down to why you want to buy the apartment/house in the first place. If you just want it as a quick access to places (traders, crafting stations, bank etc.), then by all means, get an apartment. I have bought the Flaming Nix apartment and it was a great choice as Mournhold is a major trading hub.

If you are primarily interested in the decorating aspect, however, I would strongly recommend a small house. Some are great value - I started off with Autumn's Gate. It's not too expensive and it offers A LOT of options to show off your creativity. I enjoyed decorating it immensely, especially the courtyard. It took me a good while to save up, but since I have started farming the dailies and selling the motifs, it's not a problem any more.
  • Legendary_Belt
    Gargath wrote: »

I agree but I'm new to eso & the last time I tried decorating in Skyrim... Well lets just say it looked more like a storage manor.
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    I've been collecting enough gold for a few days just enough to get an apartment. I'm still debating on buying Black Vine Villa instead because it has outdoor & has bigger space. But if I want that house, I'll hv to collect more gold.
    Which one is more worth?

I was waffling between the Jungle House in Baandari, or Twin Arches. Both with good size outdoor, but smaller indoor spaces. The Jungle house has the larger outdoor area of the two. Twin Arches the larger indoor area. I went with Jungle because you fast travel to the exterior, and I have basically everything I will interact with set up outside because it was the larger space and I like to look at the outdoors while I work. I also hate having to go thru a second door when I am just dropping in to deposit or craft.

I created a stable area for my mount, a garden reverie, and have a whole back section set up for my crafting stations when I can afford them. My storage box is on the large porch, and my pets are strategically placed. I even have an animate fountain, and a well, as well as slightly overgrown landscaping with flowers, and stone bracketed walkways. The interior is my bed, bookshelf and reading area, and cooking area.

I believe the Jungle House is cheaper than Black Villa, which I considered, and was a factor in what I chose to purchase for above reasons, but ultimately went with Jungle House.
    Ra'avi Ahjonihr Khajit Stamblade, Level 1500Master ThiefCrafter and ExplorerHero of the Dominion, Pact, and CovenantMember of the DragonguardFriend to Razum-darFavored of Azura
    'It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do.' -M'aiq the Liar