The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Styles And Blacksmithing Questions

Gedalya
Gedalya
✭✭✭✭✭
Are Style materials required for blacksmithing? Also, how are these found? I have read references that suggest it is a random search to find these; can anyone give any recommendations on how to find these? Can they be bought?
Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Mulk
    Mulk
    ✭✭✭
    They are looted from just about anywhere - I have found them in just about any kind of container that exists. You can also get them from deconstructing items.

I can't recall if they can be bought or not - check the merchant that is right next to any smithy in town to see.
  • ErilAq
    ErilAq
    ✭✭✭
    If you have learned the style from the racial motifs book (blue item, found in chests, baskets, etc) then you can craft it IF you have the racial mats. (ex, bone for bosmer) these can also be found in baskets, chests, from deconstructing items, and can be bought by a vendor, usually by the crafting stations themselves
    edit: spelling
    Edited by ErilAq on April 3, 2014 3:03PM
    Internet armchair warriors attack! Yayayayayayaaaaaah!!!!
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had found a good post in the Guides section with large images (PNG) that showed how crafting works for Blacksmithing and the other crafting lines. I can't seem to find it anymore; does anyone know where it is?

• Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can craft it IF you have the racial mats.

I have found these in chests/crates and also through deconstruction. Are these the only way to find them? As they are materials I would have guessed mining or finding in the wild would be possible but it seems you find them in towns.

• psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    You can find racial materials in crates/baskets/etc. though many you'll find provisioning items. You can get racial materials from deconstruction for motifs that you have not yet learned.

The easiest way, however, is that usually the clothier will have the racial items you need. What I tend to do to build up my crafting is craft high level stuff with the materials that I don't want to wear (at present, non-Khajiit items), then make the items I'm actually going to wear with my preferred racial craft style.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so I can buy racial items/materials from the clothiers?

• psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    Ok so I can buy racial items/materials from the clothiers?

Correct.

• SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Are Style materials required for blacksmithing?
    Yes. Each race (style) has a stone or metal or whatever specific to it.
    Also, how are these found?
    You can usually buy these from vendors, but they can also be found, and can be obtained by deconstructing items from that same style. They are not "mined" anywhere though. Note that you also need knowledge of the style to craft it, which is obtained through lore books you find at random in chests and boxes or whatever.

Note that Styles are different from Improvements. Styles only affect the appearance of the item. Improvements are what adds to the stats (can improve the looks too). Enchantments are what adds to the abilities.