Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Get this set, get that set!!

MadHatterMike
MadHatterMike
✭✭
I see this time and time again. Everyone says get this set, get that set, well what do you do when you left at the launch of the thieves guild and haven't gotten the crafting stations since then or done trials or don't have monster sets or do Vet dungeons or PVP. Not everyone plays trials, or vet dungeons or they are still trying to catch up. When recommending a set like that to people, you should at least recommend an alternate set just in case they don't have all the other crap.
I mean really, do you think someone is going to have access to all these sets when coming back to the game, maybe on PST, but not on the reg game. Let's be real people, How long did it take you to get that full monster set in the exact perks you wanted, not the first go around that's for sure (RNGesus isn't that good).
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure there's an alternate to whatever set you are looking for, but most people reasonably assume that someone asking for a set wants to know the meta, and not the "hey, this is perfectly viable along with 50 other sets, but its not as good as the meta" type set.

What type of set are you looking for? I'm sure we can figure out viable and easier-to-acquire gear that might not perform as good as the meta but will be adequate.

(For example, there are a ton of Healer sets that are viable for dungeons. A ton. But practically speaking, Olorime's, SPC, Worm Cult, Sanctuary, and Julianos outperform the others to the point that you will very rarely see people suggest Seducer, Eyes of mara, Combat Physician, Prayer, etc as good healer sets. Those sets are alternatives, sure, and perfectly viable for dungeons, but they simply don't perform at the same level as the meta.)
    Edited by VaranisArano on June 28, 2018 5:10PM
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep get Sloads
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, don't just ask around... inform yourself.

There are guides for beginners and advanced players (e.g. https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26421?ESO-Community-Guides-–-June-2018).

Or do what i did... take your time and try stuff (PTS is exellent for trying things). Its not the fastest way, but in the end its what you can play with. :)
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's be real people, How long did it take you to get that full monster set in the exact perks you wanted, not the first go around that's for sure (RNGesus isn't that good).

That's why they added the transmute station, but I guess if you don't do either PVE (dungeons/trials) or PVP you won't get the crystals until the next anniversary event. But wait.. to get a monster set you need to do PVE. I'm confused now.
  • MadHatterMike
    MadHatterMike
    ✭✭
    Let's be real people, How long did it take you to get that full monster set in the exact perks you wanted, not the first go around that's for sure (RNGesus isn't that good).

That's why they added the transmute station, but I guess if you don't do either PVE (dungeons/trials) or PVP you won't get the crystals until the next anniversary event. But wait.. to get a monster set you need to do PVE. I'm confused now.

Last I remember you got monster sets from Vet dungeons, and from the Undaunted- did that change?
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best thing about Alcast's guides is exactly that - both end game and beginner gear setup.
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last I remember you got monster sets from Vet dungeons, and from the Undaunted- did that change?

No, that didn't change. So you'll get transmute crystals from the Undaunted pledges eventually.
  • MadHatterMike
    MadHatterMike
    ✭✭

Never was able to successfully complete Trials (members quitting) and Did some vet dungeons, but never got monster sets pieces
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You get Monster Helms from Vet Dungeons (now a 100% drop) and shoulders from the Undaunted Chests.

Or you hope the Golden Vendor in Cyrodiil sells it one weekend.

You can get the transmute stones from both PVP and PVE, but doing PVP regularly is the fastest way to accumulate lots of crystals especially if you get the 30 day end of campaign rewards.
    Edited by VaranisArano on June 28, 2018 5:15PM
  • MadHatterMike
    MadHatterMike
    ✭✭
    Or do what i did... take your time and try stuff (PTS is exellent for trying things). Its not the fastest way, but in the end its what you can play with. :) [/quote]

Currently working on installing the PTS, been having issues with install, kept stalling out at 30%
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always reccomend good easilly obtainable gear choices. There are enough people on the boards that assume everyone wants to run Vet Trials in HM for Leaderboard times.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MadHatterMike
    MadHatterMike
    ✭✭
    Yep get Sloads

Sloads- havent gotten to that part yet, still trying to get my crafter to the crafting stations from TG, DB, Orisinum, Hotr, Morrowwind, Clockwork city, Summerset
  • MadHatterMike
    MadHatterMike
    ✭✭
    I'm sure there's an alternate to whatever set you are looking for, but most people reasonably assume that someone asking for a set wants to know the meta, and not the "hey, this is perfectly viable along with 50 other sets, but its not as good as the meta" type set.

What type of set are you looking for? I'm sure we can figure out viable and easier-to-acquire gear that might not perform as good as the meta but will be adequate.

(For example, there are a ton of Healer sets that are viable for dungeons. A ton. But practically speaking, Olorime's, SPC, Worm Cult, Sanctuary, and Julianos outperform the others to the point that you will very rarely see people suggest Seducer, Eyes of mara, Combat Physician, Prayer, etc as good healer sets. Those sets are alternatives, sure, and perfectly viable for dungeons, but they simply don't perform at the same level as the meta.)

Looking at one of Alcasts Sorc builds, what would you recommend to replace IIambris, and burning spellweave, to go with Julianos? I just got to the Mechanical Acuity crafting station
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently working on installing the PTS, been having issues with install, kept stalling out at 30%

Keep trying, I had to download it more then 10 times before it finally stucked.

Not sure you know already, on PTS:
    You can make level 50 max CP Chars in the character selection (toggle, left corner, 1. page)

If you just want to play around with sets I would recommend to get a house and craft a training dummy. You will know pretty fast if the set is working as you expected, or not. For testing gameplay you will have to play the game, tho. :smiley:

Have fun.
    Oh and really take your time, alot changed.
    Edited by Elsterchen on June 28, 2018 5:32PM
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alcast suggests 3 (!!!) craftable sets for mag sorc, a few sets which can be found in normal dungeons (you can do them in quest greens) and willpower (dirty cheap in guild stores). There are a lot of master crafters who will do you any craftable set, especially if you provide mats.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at one of Alcasts Sorc builds, what would you recommend to replace IIambris, and burning spellweave, to go with Julianos? I just got to the Mechanical Acuity crafting station
    @MadHatterMike

Mothers Sorrrow, Scathing Mage, Torugs Pact, Seducer, Combos or various 2 and 3 piece sets that give Magic and or Spell Damage, Necroptenece, Withered Hand the list goes on and on and on. Do enough build editing and you will soon figure out your.just.shifting numbers around.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some good PVE choices that are easy to acquire: Mother's Sorrow, obtained from Deshaan, and which gives spell crit. If you use a Pet Sorc build, its hard to go wrong with Necropotence, from Rivenspire, which gives you more magicka if you have a pet active. If you use a lot of heavy and light attacks in your rotation, Elegance from Auridon can be useful as if buffs damage from those. If you want a buff to fire damage like Burning Spellweave, Silks of the Sun from Stonefalls gives a buff to fire damage.

Another solid option is the Willpower set, which is a 3-piece bonus set. It gives you extra magicka and is commonly available for sale since it drops from the Daily Random Dungeon rewards.

Truth is, nearly any magicka-themed set will be viable in normal dungeons and will definitely be fine for overland questing, as long as you know what you are doing.
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see this time and time again. Everyone says get this set, get that set, well what do you do when you left at the launch of the thieves guild and haven't gotten the crafting stations since then or done trials or don't have monster sets or do Vet dungeons or PVP. Not everyone plays trials, or vet dungeons or they are still trying to catch up. When recommending a set like that to people, you should at least recommend an alternate set just in case they don't have all the other crap.
    I mean really, do you think someone is going to have access to all these sets when coming back to the game, maybe on PST, but not on the reg game. Let's be real people, How long did it take you to get that full monster set in the exact perks you wanted, not the first go around that's for sure (RNGesus isn't that good).

@MadHatterMike

If someone isn’t doing dungeons, PvP, or trials, what ARE they doing?? Just overland content?

Most dungeon sets that are commonly used are easily farmable. Also, you don’t need perfect traits for the gear to make a significant difference. That’s more for min-maxing, where you’re trying to eek out the absolute highest dps you can. Plenty of gear is easily crafted and a person could use that for nearly all content in the game. Ex. A crafted set of Julianos and seducer(2-5 piece sets, including weapon), and then cheap Willpower jewelry. If you join a guild, whether PvE, PvP, or trading, chances are a member has a house open to then guild with crafting stations, mundus Stones, Target dummy’s.

Or, if you’re doing overland content, you can get plenty of good gear that way too. Some of which you can sell for a hefty profit. And what do you mean by “catch-up”? To who? Just playing regularly, doing a random daily dungeon, some questing etc. will have you leveling up pretty steadily. Every time cp gets raised, the preceding cp levels are easier to acquire.

Your post sounds like you’re having to go at some breakneck speed to level and gear out. There is no rush, trust me. At max CP, having done all the dungeons/trials multiple times, there really isn’t a whole lot to do. Can still PvP, run the same dungeons and trials for the 100th time, and on and on. If you’re lucky enough to not have finished the highest difficulty end content yet, then that’s something to work toward, but all in all it’s fairly stale. Enjoy the journey.
    Edited by SmellyUnlimited on June 28, 2018 7:50PM
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)