The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crowns/Expansions/ESO Standard question

jonathan.e.beck_ESO
Hi all,

I'm an off-and-on again vet looking to get back into things, but I'm not sure if I want to pay for a plus subscription. I have a few questions. First, do I get to keep the expansions from when I was subscribed (I think I do, but I wanted to check). Second, I have about 3000 crowns to burn. If you get expansions for subscribing, what else is most beneficial to buy in the crown store for standard players? Thanks!
  • PouletRico
    PouletRico
    ✭✭✭
    First, do I get to keep the expansions from when I was subscribed (I think I do, but I wanted to check).

You mean, do you keep DLCs when your subscription end ? No, as soon as your subscription is over, you do not have access to the DLCs anymore.
    @PouletRico - EU PC Megaserver
    PouletRico - TankDK - EP
    Experimental Kamikaze - StamDK - AD

I'm doing my best, but I'm not a native speaker
  • jonathan.e.beck_ESO
    PouletRico wrote: »
    First, do I get to keep the expansions from when I was subscribed (I think I do, but I wanted to check).

You mean, do you keep DLCs when your subscription end ? No, as soon as your subscription is over, you do not have access to the DLCs anymore.

Oh, OK cool. Then it seems like the best move would be to be a subscriber and stock up on crowns, then buy the DLCs if you don't want to be a Plus member anymore. You think?
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Craglorn used to be a sub-only area. If you’re referring to Craglorn, it’s open to everyone for free. The later DLCs starting with Wrothgar are accessed through a sub or permanently buying.

With the way the game is set up now, There are a couple of ways to go.

If you sub for a month, it unlocks most dlc zones during that month. (Not Morrowind and Summerset). You can go try the zones and see if you like them. Some are probably worth having permanent access to, while some are smaller zones where you can play through in a couple of days and then just let access expire if you don’t maintain the sub. Hew’s Bane is a good example...I like doing the thieving stuff there, but a player who doesn’t really play sneaking and stealing might not go there beyond the main storyline.

I personally have ended up buying half the DLCs. When I’m subbed I play the ones I don’t own if I keep stuff there, then I buy the ones I like going to frequently.

If you really like the DLCs and plan to sub for a while, the pack that opens four DLCs for 5,500 crowns is a good value. You could buy a 3 or 6 month sub, then save a little money and crowns unlocking DLCs that way. I think buying those four individually is 8,000 crowns.