The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Playing my first Tank ever

BozzyTheDrummer
BozzyTheDrummer
✭✭✭✭
Previously made a Nord DK Tank but deleted him after not playing it.

This past weekend, I made an Argonian tank. I am honestly having quite a bit of fun with this toon, as I normally just play DPS but that has been getting old. I am following one of Alcast's builds I found online, but I wanted to get some insight/advice from the forum community. What are some things that works for you Tank players out there? What are some things I should be doing, or looking for, for my build.

Tanking is a new concept to me, I have never played a tank in any game before.
Xbox NA
CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Check out some of the stuff from Woeler and Liofa. Those are two of the best tanks I've seen in this game and have a lot of information out there.
    PC/EU DC
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two kinds of tanks.

1 Tanky DPS, where you have high resistance and decent DPS. This for Solo and PvP.

2. True Tank. You have high resistance, excellent resource management, and the abilitu to.buff your group. Your presence actively and passively increases group DPS by a huge margin, Group resistance and group resources. You also control the boss and draw aggro from other mobs so.others can better do their job.

So, what kind of tank are you?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xynode invincible tank great build and ieatcivics YouTube warden tank, it's a pvp build but it's insane. Great to have another tank join the ranks, it can be a lot of fun. You're gonna want to learn to taunt and how to do it, your resistance levels and damage mitigation. For example I love ironblood set gives major protection for 30% damage mitigation paired with warrior poet for higher health and resistance and even tankier blood spawn monster set. This monster set for most PvE will be overkill. So when you don't need it infernal guardian is great at melting trash just hit your shield and bam they roast. Tanks aren't going to be doing damage so monster sets like this help when you don't need blood spawn. Lots of fun, hope this helps
    Edited by Spartabunny08 on June 25, 2018 4:12PM
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    There are two kinds of tanks.

1 Tanky DPS, where you have high resistance and decent DPS. This for Solo and PvP.

2. True Tank. You have high resistance, excellent resource management, and the abilitu to.buff your group. Your presence actively and passively increases group DPS by a huge margin, Group resistance and group resources. You also control the boss and draw aggro from other mobs so.others can better do their job.

So, what kind of tank are you?

This is essentially what I am going for, I want to be a true tank.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
    Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
    Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
    Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
    Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
    Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
    Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
    Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
    Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
    Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
    Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
    Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't mind an extremely long read, in my signature is a link to a very lengthy guide I wrote on what I think makes a "true traditional style tank."
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 rule of tanking in this game, if you forget everything else, is try your best to keep the boss/enemies in one spot, accepting of course that mechanics will make that hard or impossible on some fights. The DPS in this game is heavily focused on dropping area attacks and then going through a rotation. if you're moving the moss around needlessly, not only are those area/ground attacks not effective, you're also possibly messing up the rotation of your DPS and wasting resources for everyone.

• Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put into terms anyone can follow!! And its a great build as well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0tXgXfTgXk
  • vrodnenok
    vrodnenok
    If you don't mind an extremely long read, in my signature is a link to a very lengthy guide I wrote on what I think makes a "true traditional style tank."
    great guide! since i used to tank in other games (WoW and FF14) ESOs concept of tanking is quite different.

i just finished grinding to 160 cp and started to work on gear. as i was doing dangeons as healer i decided to go farm SPC healers set, but had only one successful run of 4 attempts. First tank said right away that he was not real tank and asked to kick him. Apparently the next one was not too real as well having only 18k HP and a bear. so we stuck on the boss with portals. after several attempts i got fed of this and respecced to tank build and sucessfully completed 3 runs in WGT. And i dont even have 1H&S skills maxed. Now when i understand tanks role better (thanks to this extremely useful guide) guess i will do better.
  • PouletRico
    PouletRico
    ✭✭✭
    Argonian Dk make the tanking almost too easy. Basically, you just rotate between Ultimate (with the Battle Roar passive) and tri-stats potion (with the Resourceful passive), with great gears, you can't run out of sustain.

Then you just have to stack shields and self-heal, and you cannot die (ofc you need to known the mechanics of the boss but in terms of survivability, DK argo are just OP as ***)
    Edited by PouletRico on June 26, 2018 12:12PM
    @PouletRico - EU PC Megaserver
    PouletRico - TankDK - EP
    Experimental Kamikaze - StamDK - AD

I'm doing my best, but I'm not a native speaker
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only 2 things I want from a tank, 1. Hold the boss still as much as you can. 2. Stack all the mobs you can with chains/silver leash, there is no excuse for a tank not to have one of those on their bars.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take note of passives, take note of sustain issues to amend your build accordingly to your playstyle and struggles.

Look on woeler.eu and check his YT vids for explanations on the aspects of tanking.

e.g. I run 2x mag regen jewelry as I'm perfectly fine weaving heavy attacks or dropping block now and then. I also run 3x infused armour 5/1/1 for extra mag/stam, sit around 33/34k health (no attribute points into health). I also run a staff backbar, whether that be Ice/Shock depends on the content.

Others prefer the ability to perma block and would rather have a large health pool to fall back on so run all sturdy & block reduction.
    Some prefer 6/1 or 7 heavy armour & make sure to hit the resistance cap (33k).
    Also people prefer 2x S&B so they can block both bars with the same effectiveness.

Both the above examples would (and are) perfectly viable in end game trials and will be able to do the same job, just one will have more survivability, one will aid with off balance and pull a little more DPS (definitely not needed for a tank, but I main a DPS so just sitting there is something I cant do).

Most setups will be Torug/Alkosh and Ebon/Plague from what I've seen, some like Brass but I don't rate it. Monster sets are where you change it up, you can do self sustain/resistance/group buffs/debuffs/utility etc... can even opt for a dmg set if you're running dungeons or something.
    Edited by Sparr0w on June 26, 2018 1:59PM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS