The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Unoptimized / FPS Drops / Lag / Stutters etc with a GTX1080

Ajintse
Ajintse
✭✭✭
Dear all,

We know that we can adjust and optimize most advanced settings for ESO by simply editing the .ini file. I tried to modify some settings in order to get some stable performance. But no luck.

Setup
BOARD: MSI Gaming 5
GPU: GTX1080 at 2.2Ghz (OC: Yes)
CPU: i7-4790k at 4.8 Ghz (OC: Yes)
RAM: 16GB at 3Ghz (XMP) (OC: Yes)
DISK: SSD 500GB + 2 HDD 1 TB (Game is installed on SSD)
NET: Killer Ethernet 1Gbps
INTERNET: 500/500 Mbps

Problem:
With this setup, I have around 30-40 FPS with (Distance and partics at 0). Sometimes I have 100 FPS (Wilderness, Delves). But most of the time I have huge FPS drops / stutters / freezes. It is unplayable at some moments (Dungeons, Raids, Trials, etc).

Question:
Is there anyone out here which uses a customized .ini file which still looks good and has increased performance? I'd really like to have that one.
If I set everything to default, it is like ESO is running on a potato. I have no clue nor idea why this is happening with my setup. I tested this even on all stock settings (No Overclock, etc).
Or please ZOS, have this investigated.

Yes my drivers are up-to-date.
Yes I have reinstalled Windows 10.
Yes other games are stable (GTA V, FFXIV, NFS, Forza Horizon 3, BO3, Titanfall 2, Hitman, Ghost Wildlands, Division) All run around 120-144 FPS.

And, for some weird reason. FPS is also capped at 100 with V-Sync OFF.
"The moon is my sun, the night is my day, blood is my life and you are my prey."
Ajintse - (Magicka Vampire Nightblade)
  • Catnight
    Catnight
    ✭✭
    I only could improve the FPS by lowering the view distance. It seems only the little things loaded at higher views are hurting the performance. I did not check if its the VRAM which is overloaded, I just think something there is causing memory bloat/leak. You would think a player mass would create this kind of problems but here you stand in an effect fire and have high FPS... even in PVP. There you have the problem of effects not dsplayed and skills not responding.
    ESO is really strange.
    The problems in dungeons seems more a problem of themselves.

Ps. I have a 960GTX 2GB, an I5-4670 4x 3.40 16GB RAM and 64-bit Win 7. Installed on a normal HDD. ESO is not that demanding...
    system requirements for ESO-morrowind (recommended):
    OS X 10.11
    Intel® Core i5 2500S or higher
    8 GB System RAM
    85 GB free HDD space
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7870 or higher with OpenGL 4.1

Im pretty sure you could have dual-GTX Titan with the best 8-core on the market and it would make no difference.
    Edited by Catnight on May 26, 2017 12:57PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Crusism
    Crusism
    ✭✭
    Sadly, this is a common problem with the game... =/

The game is not optimised, but the problem can be somewhat fixed via changing details in the UserSettings.txt.
  • yurimodin
    yurimodin
    ✭✭✭
    I think most of the problems are server side(I really drop in crowded cities etc...everywhere else is fine). I have i7 8700 and GTX1080. What made the biggest difference for me was having GeforceExperience use DSR and then disable Antialiasing in game. Here are my config files if that helps. Also I have an ultrawide so you will want to adjust for 16:9 if you dont use an ultrawide monitor.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1srqNM5F-PcmJf5qM4-e3BY2JrL_gVjCM

EDIT: also wanted to add that there are some settings in there like water quality and number of particle distance where I can tell almost no difference at all so I run them lower.
    Edited by yurimodin on June 24, 2018 10:31PM