The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Character advice plz

StueyMac40
StueyMac40
✭✭
Ok...I'm technically a newbie but have six characters that I made up about two years ago and never played.

I want to concentrate on creating a battlemage that can heal as well as attack especially as I'd like to join a guild as soon as I can find one silly enough to accept me, but I would also like to have a tank to just have fun with. Should I just start again as none are higher than level 5? What would be best races/classes for these

How many characters do you use and why?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I have 11 characters, and regularly play 3, with several more leveling or being used for things like dungeon events.

My Magicka Dragonknight is my best tank, though my stamina sorcerers can be pretty effective.

I have a magicka templar and magicka warden that made good healers. The warden wound up becoming a stam warden for PVP, but was fun to run in dungeons.

The easiest character to swap from tank to healer to damage dealer is my magicka sorcerer, at least for normal/easy vet dungeons. Mag sorcs have the twilight pet for healing, decent crowd control, damage shields, and good a or damage options so my Mag sorc is my most multi-purpose character as long as I swap out gear and some skills. That being said, sometimes being a jack-of-all-trades is less effective than min-maxing a character for the role.
  • seipher09
    seipher09
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest a magika templar. The first skill in spear line heals yourself while doing decent damage and is aoe. While doing that you can have plenty in the kit to still help heal others.

If your wanting dungeons though then you generally only want to do dps or heal.
  • StueyMac40
    StueyMac40
    ✭✭
    I haven't thought about dungeons yet...too much to get my head around at the moment lol
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StueyMac40 wrote: »
    I haven't thought about dungeons yet...too much to get my head around at the moment lol

If you haven't thought much about dungeons, then I would look at building a character that can do damage. Healers and tanks can do overland questing, but generally its more effective to just kill the mobs and quest bosses than to try and heal or tank through them. Happily, every class can be a damage dealer.

Since you want a battlemage, I'd suggest a sorcerer, a templar, or possibly a nightblade. While racial choices don't really matter too much outside of top-end DPS counts, you might find it easier to pick a race that has magicka racial bonuses which are generally Altmer, Dunmer, and Bretons. But seriously, use whatever race you want for overland content and dungeons- my Breton stamina based sorcerer does fine despite no racial bonuses, she'd just be less effective at a trial level than a Redguard stam sorc.

Once you've leveled up a character to CP 160 (the gear cap) its very easy to reset attributes and skills in order to make a character a healer or tank, so if you change your mind about roles, it will be easy to do that.
  • lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If healing is going to be a top priority I still favour templar for that role. They are great for soloing content as well.

My personal fav of any class combo is magBlade. They have great dps, movement and are very versatile. They make good healers and tanks as well for alot of 4man content. They can be sneaky and might also be the easiest class for vMA if that is something you want to do one day.

Of the stamina combinations I've always enjoyed sorc for this. They have great movability and can sponge more damage than most other stamina combinations. Otherwise magSorcs are fun too and can do "everything".

Good luck and welcome back :smile:
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP