Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Maormer appearance

adriant1978
adriant1978
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
The Maormer in Summerset sure look a lot different to those seen in areas such as Khenarthi's Roost and Auridon. They not only have a new gear style but also a new skin tone, eyes, and new fin-shaped ears. Does anyone know if there's a lore explanation for this, or is it just a straight up example of ZOS polishing something in a new chapter and forgetting all about the base game?

tlMDcbH.png
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a lore-perspective, one could argue that they may be from different parts of Pyandonea.

The ones with the pale eyes might live more land inwards, while the one with fin-ears might live more on the coastal areas.

As far as gameplay is concerned, it's probably to make them stand out more than their normal-game counterparts.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Maormer in Summerset sure look a lot different to those seen in areas such as Khenarthi's Roost and Auridon. They not only have a new gear style but also a new skin tone, eyes, and new fin-shaped ears. Does anyone know if there's a lore explanation for this, or is it just a straight up example of ZOS polishing something in a new chapter and forgetting all about the base game?

tlMDcbH.png

Old world tends to be left as is in most games. The few that have updated them, WoW as an example, did it much later in major overhauls (WoWs best example was when the expansion took places on the old continents)
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Old world tends to be left as is in most games. The few that have updated them, WoW as an example, did it much later in major overhauls (WoWs best example was when the expansion took places on the old continents)

And yet there have been cases where they went back and touched up in the base game: overland Dro-m'Athra, for example, were adjusted to reflect the new appearance introduced with the Maw of Lorkhaj.
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO

And yet there have been cases where they went back and touched up in the base game: overland Dro-m'Athra, for example, were adjusted to reflect the new appearance introduced with the Maw of Lorkhaj.

Indeed; but that was done in the first major patch after the Thieves Guild – three months afterwards. I imagine that the same will be the case with the new Maormer appearance; we’ll likely see them updated in the next major patch, or whenever they have time to update old content instead of focusing on the new.
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭
    ... I’m not even sure this is a lore issue. I mean, most races in TES come in different “forms”. Even the playable elves, and especially the beast races.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... I’m not even sure this is a lore issue. I mean, most races in TES come in different “forms”. Even the playable elves, and especially the beast races.

Aside from the Wood Elves with their horns, I don't recall any other elven race having such drastic appearance changes as the Maormer in this image do.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder too if this is true of them

E6mUSXS.jpg
  • RouDantes
    RouDantes
    ✭✭✭
    I love the look of the new skin, though I definitely prefer the original white eyes.

I REALLY hope the Maormer Fish Skin ends up making you paler and that the datamined pic is a work in progress image. I'm holding out hope since datamined pics don't always represent the final product. It would also be awesome if it gave you those awesome fin ears too!

I have two characters that I made to look Maormer, they're white haired Altmer vampires with Oracle Eyes. I would LOVE to be able to get the pale complexion without having to futz with managing vampirism stages anymore.
    Cheers,
    Captain Rou Dantes
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruccius wrote: »

Aside from the Wood Elves with their horns, I don't recall any other elven race having such drastic appearance changes as the Maormer in this image do.

Wood elf horns are cosmetic, not natural
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭

Wood elf horns are cosmetic, not natural

IIRC they're actual horns, and a hold over from back when the bosmer had no set form, but were rather just randomly shapeshifting blobs.

I was mainly talking about the shifts between the games. Like the "civilized" looking elves of Oblivion and ESO Vs the more "wild" looking ones of Skyrim. AFAIK both are appearances canon, not just game mechanics. Simply elves from different regions looking a bit different.

Then of course, there is simply the fact that all of them come in a variety of different skin tones... For all of Tamriel as a whole being only about half again the size of Alaska.
    Eporem wrote: »
    I wonder too if this is true of them

E6mUSXS.jpg

One way or the other, magic was likely involved.

What you must remember, is that "race" in TES isn't really a thing of genetics. It is a thing of magic. If a Breton and a Wood Elf had a child the kid would simply be of the race of whichever one was the mother. Inheriting at most some minor cosmetic aspects of the father. Then of course the are the different cases of something happening to the patron god of a race immediately causing drastic physical changing in that race.
    Edited by Shgon_Dunstan on June 9, 2018 8:28PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    IIRC they're actual horns, and a hold over from back when the bosmer had no set form, but were rather just randomly shapeshifting blobs.

Some have actual horns, some have fake. *digs* Here you go!
    Morriel: Well, fine, well fine. You think just because I have two mouths I'm the one that does all the talking, ugh. Companions, I mean, honestly ... Well, you see, there was a ... there was an elf, a Bosmer, I talked to recently, and he had a bit a question - I-I had no idea why he didn't know this - but, you see, I'd like to ask about Bosmer antlers. You see, the last time this has been asked, as far as I understand, I had heard that Bosmer have- wear a lot of cosmetic - or prosthetic, I suppose - antlers on their brows, and a few have them, you know, magically grown from their skulls. My question is, I've seen about three stages of antler growth when - well, observing things - and it makes far more sense to me, at least, that they're related to the chaos times, or so, one of the gods, like Hircine or Y'ffre. I mean, yeah, they're [elves] with antlers on them, but where do these things come from?

Phrastus: Well, I've never been to Valenwood [Vay-len-wood], but I ... I'd caution you against assuming any single or simple answer involved with those reprobates the Wood Elves. Now, I daresay that most antlers worn by Bosmer are cosmetic and removable, but I myself have met a Treethane who had a magnificent 6-point rack growing right out of his cranium, and it was no prosthetic! Now, he told me that he'd had it magically grown upon assuming his title, as a symbol of his authority. The spells were sung -

Morriel: Hm!

Phrastus: Yes, sung, by a particular kind of aether-priest called a Namespinner, and she was able to perceive the Treethane's protonymic, and unweave it slightly and then chant a new suffix into it, thus actually changing the Treethane's physical form. Or so he told me, if you want to trust the word of a Bosmer.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

EXPECTING SEVERAL HOURS OF DOWNTIME FOR PC/NA.
  • Countdownical
    Countdownical
    ✭✭✭
    Either case, I love the changes - It looks better and it's nice to see some details. Lovely to see Zenimax is developing grander details and putting more effort into their game - even if it's just eyecandy in this case!
    Edited by Countdownical on June 10, 2018 2:03AM
    @Countdownical Experienced High-End Raider - PC EU - Here since Feb 27, 2014.

Lead of Flipping Coins - Rawl'kha, Reaper's March.
    Lead of Rolling Coins - Belkarth, Craglorn.
    Lead of Shining Coins - Elden Root, Grahtwood.

All are TRADE Guilds. Contact me for invites!
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some have actual horns, some have fake. *digs* Here you go!
    Morriel: Well, fine, well fine. You think just because I have two mouths I'm the one that does all the talking, ugh. Companions, I mean, honestly ... Well, you see, there was a ... there was an elf, a Bosmer, I talked to recently, and he had a bit a question - I-I had no idea why he didn't know this - but, you see, I'd like to ask about Bosmer antlers. You see, the last time this has been asked, as far as I understand, I had heard that Bosmer have- wear a lot of cosmetic - or prosthetic, I suppose - antlers on their brows, and a few have them, you know, magically grown from their skulls. My question is, I've seen about three stages of antler growth when - well, observing things - and it makes far more sense to me, at least, that they're related to the chaos times, or so, one of the gods, like Hircine or Y'ffre. I mean, yeah, they're [elves] with antlers on them, but where do these things come from?

Phrastus: Well, I've never been to Valenwood [Vay-len-wood], but I ... I'd caution you against assuming any single or simple answer involved with those reprobates the Wood Elves. Now, I daresay that most antlers worn by Bosmer are cosmetic and removable, but I myself have met a Treethane who had a magnificent 6-point rack growing right out of his cranium, and it was no prosthetic! Now, he told me that he'd had it magically grown upon assuming his title, as a symbol of his authority. The spells were sung -

Morriel: Hm!

Phrastus: Yes, sung, by a particular kind of aether-priest called a Namespinner, and she was able to perceive the Treethane's protonymic, and unweave it slightly and then chant a new suffix into it, thus actually changing the Treethane's physical form. Or so he told me, if you want to trust the word of a Bosmer.

Keep in mind, that lore source is technically an opinion piece. The NPC in question tells you most are prosthetics, but then claims one is real to his belief and not really proving it as fact. I dont have the time to dig like you did, on break atm, but there are more things, a few in ESO, that point it out to be far more likely it is all prosthetics.
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS should update original game maormer with summerset ones like they did with dro-m'athra NPC's
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭

Falmer
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kierro wrote: »

Falmer

Changes between snow elves and Falmer happened over 4500 years (from what I can find the deal with the dwarves took place in the Merethic era - we only see Falmer in TES: Shadowkey (3rd era) and TES V (4th era) and in dawnguard, Gelebor states that the dwarves merely blinded the race using a toxin not enough to devolve the Falmer to their current state - so since it wasn’t the toxin it took years for them to devolve into their state) not so drastic considering these facts.....

I have a theory on why the base game Maomer not being upgraded to the new Summerset skins, after battling through Sunhold I noticed there’s 2 types of ‘new’ Maomer, there’s standard height and then there’s ones that are xivkyn height yet walk around like bloodfiends.... perhaps there’s different sub-species of Maomer? Perhaps evolving differently depending on where within Pyandonea they originate from? That or they’ve just not been upgraded yet.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A trip to Pyandonea would be really clarifying about this question. And I would love to visit that island.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Falmer

Falmar are a different case, as they are no longer an elven race, as we can see by their souls.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited by Aliyavana on June 23, 2018 9:32PM
  • LickingHistSap
    LickingHistSap
    ✭✭✭

Falmer

Falmar are a different case, as they are no longer an elven race, as we can see by their souls.

The souls are just a game engine thing, though. Any NPC that doesn't have the option to change armor and weapons counts as a 'white soul'. The Falmer are still an elven race, as shown during the Ohgma questline.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Falmer

The souls are just a game engine thing, though. Any NPC that doesn't have the option to change armor and weapons counts as a 'white soul'. The Falmer are still an elven race, as shown during the Ohgma questline.

The Oghma questline is filled with holes. Please, don't use that as any means of ''lore''.

Septimus is a madman, would you really trust the words of a madman?
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a lorebook that says there's many tribes of Maormer and the ones that stayed loyal to their immortal god-king are some lf the fiercest warriors so don't discount the Maormer threat simply because of other Maormer that show up. Or something along those lines
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    there is this as well from the Skeleton of the Maormer Uldor

bTKrgqR.jpg

and the reason why I don't think all Maormer are bad if they are truly the Sea Elves

sg5r6Of.jpg
    Edited by Eporem on June 26, 2018 3:32PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually prefer the original appearance of the Maormer in the base game, personally.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on November 24, 2020 6:16PM