The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New to eso. crafting for Altmer Sorcerer?

xgoldelf
xgoldelf
I’ve been trying to figure out how to add the skill line this whole time and now I have enchanting, provisioning, blacksmiss added. How do I go about adding woodworking skill? I understood the items I initially created were not going to be good but what should I concentrate on increasing in terms of skill points. Also what exactly are motifs and how do I progress with them ? I have a high elf motif book in my storage I found but it is a higher level and I can’t read it. I see a motif pack for high elf style in the crown store, what does that include ?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To add a new crafting skill, you need to use the crafting station for that skill. If you are at least level 6 and do the certification quests for each profession (accessible from NPCs in the fighters and mages guilds in Alinor, Vivec, or your first city in your alliance) they will walk you through the basics of creating and deconstructing items for each craft.

In order to continue crafting your own gear as you level up, you need to put skill points in the passive that raise the level of materials you can craft. Up to level 15, you can craft iron, maple and jute already. Once you hit level 16, that arm or/weapons require steel, oak, and flax so you will need to put in the skill points that allow you to use those materials.

Motifs give you the knowledge of how to craft in different styles/appearances. To craft them, you also need a style mat. So if you learned the Dark Elf style, you could craft a Dark Elf style boots with the Indian style material. You already know your own race's style, so if you are a High Elf, you probably can't use the motif book you have because you already know the High Elf style. Motifs also unlock styles in the outfit station, which you can pay to use to create custom outfits that cover over your equipped armor and weapons.

You can preview motifs and motif packs in the Crown Store. I don't recommend buying Crown Store motifs, really, since the blue quality motifs are extremely cheap in game (like 100 to 200 gold each) and the other motifs are often easier to get through gold than by real money. So unless the appearance is super important to you, I wouldn't spend real money on motifs.

Hope that helps!
  • xgoldelf
    xgoldelf
    That was extremely helpful actually. Thank you. Regarding the alchemist certifification, I picked up the mountain flower near the other reagents but it didn’t register in my inbox and then cursor on the map wasn’t shown anymore to find mountain flower. I only had the water solvent and columbine in my inventory. I abandoned the quest and started again but it still didn’t show the cursor in the map. Do you recommend deleting the 2 items in my inventory and trying again ? so last question putting my skill points in passives will improve the rate at what the product will be right ?

What would be most important crafting Armor/weapon skill to put points in for high elf ? Woodworking, clothing, and blacksmith ? I have yet to find woodworking station (I know it’s good for elf staffs) but are woodworking stations shown on map in the legend ? Thank you because I was considering grabbing the style motif but maybe sometime in the future. So they are additions on top of your armour ?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Ive ever fully done the alchemy certification quest. You could probably try to get another mountain flower and make the potion, regardless, making any potion should give you the skill line.

For clothing, blacksmithing, and woodworking, you'll want to put skill points in to raise the level of what you can craft. For provisioning and echanting, you can raise the level of recipes/glyphs you can make and also the quality of them. For alchemy, you raise the level of solvents you can use to make potions and poisons.

If you are a high elf magicka using sorcerer, you'll probably wear mostly light armor (clothing) and use a staff. The stations should be shown on the map, though they aren't always right next to each other depending on what city you are crafting in. When I level, I like to,try to wear at least one piece of each type of armor that way it levels up in case I swap from, say, medium armor to a heavy armored tank later - but that's conpletely optional.

The Outfitting Station does 2 things. One, it lets you dye your equipped armor for free. This will show as the "No Outfit" option in the drop down menu.

If you choose the "Outfit 1" option, each character has an outfit slot to use. You can pay to change the style of your armor or weapons to any style you know, having learned the style through motifs. You can pay with gold or crown store outfit tokens, and buy additional outfit slots for that character in the crown store (additional outfit slots are not account-wide, they are character specific). Using Outfit 1 will cover over your equipped armor, but any Costumes will cover over your Outfit.
  • xgoldelf
    xgoldelf
    Thank you for your response ! Informative !
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone object to @VaranisArano being a Community Ambassador? B)
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varanis gave you perfect info. I’ll expand on a few things.

First...the alchemy certification, sigh. Yes, it glitches. Pick up the quest again. You will not get new guaranteed spawn nodes, unfortunately. You need to find Mountain Flower from *anywhere*. If you want to hunt it, it’s mostly in fields in mountain areas. You could also buy what you need from a guild store. Or put out a zone chat “my certification quest glitched, can anyone send me xx mountain flowers?” They’re not valuable, people might pitch in.

How to find stations

All types have an icon and are marked on maps. Sometimes all stations in a little area are one icon, that you hover over and on the right you see “cooking fire, woodworking station, etc.” station types are: woodworking, cloth, blacksmith, jewelry, provision (cook fire), enchanting, alchemy, outfit (dying armor and changing appearance) and transmute (trait changes, but don’t worry about this for now).

What are set stations?

Powerful gear sets exist in ESO that add buffs as your character wears more pieces from that set. Most sets offer benefits as you add a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th piece, with the 5th piece buff being something big.

These set stations are located out in the world. They have a special map icon, then when you visit a station you’ll see the name of the set noted. For example, when you’re character faces a station and it says “Woodworking (Night Silence),” this means it can make this special set. At these stations you will have the option to craft “plain” gear or the set pieces by scrolling back and forth in the crafting menu. Players can also purchase set stations for their homes, so you might encounter them in player housing.

All of these sets require trait knowledge to make. For example, night silence is a “two trait set.” This means that to make any given piece, you need to have researched two traits for that piece. If I want to make a night silence robe piece, I need to have researched two different traits in “light armor...robes” to unlock it. Hundings Rage is a “six trait set,” so to make a robe I need to research six different traits for robes.

Which craft skills to learn?

I level all six (now seven) craft lines on all characters, just so they have them in case I need them. But making a character a crafter requires a LOT of skill points. Each craft has ~25 skill point passives, but you don’t necessarily need to invest in all. Assume about 20 points for a character to be a master crafter in each skill.

Some players put all crafting on one character, and some split them up between a couple of characters. For example, your sorc might handle enchanting, provisioning and alchemy, but pass the four equipment trades off to an alternate character. There are plenty of points in the game to go either way. If you think you’ll play the heck out of your sorc and do all the quests and hunt lots of shards, he can craft everything. If that becomes boring, maybe build a crafting alt. And you don’t have to decide now...if your sorc crafts but then runs into a skill point shortage, it’s easy enough to respec and roll a crafter later. Everything can be undone.

And if you hate the crafting system, ignore it. You can get by without crafting if you don’t like it. There are plenty of us master crafters to help with anything you need if you prefer killing trolls to making staves, lol.

Why craft gear?

For the four equipment lines, crafting means you can make your own gear. This is a little helpful. There are powerful crafted sets in the game, and you will *really* benefit from learning how to use them, but there are also a bazillion master crafters who would likely help you out and build your gear.

To get an idea of craft sets, go check out a station somewhere in the world or a guild members house, and learn about the buffs you get by adding more pieces. That’s why you wear craft sets.

Why craft consumables?

You’ll be using a lot of glyphs in the game, and a LOT of food and potions. Being able to make your own is really helpful. As a first step, you should always be playing with a food/drink buff, probably + max health and magic. Learn about these recipes/food, and check out how they help.

What are the benefits for crafters? (besides above)

Depending on level and which passives you spend on, you can expect to get:

- you can upgrade gear and make better runes for cheaper.
    - You will pull better / more materials out of things you refine
    - You can do daily writs on the crafts, which are probably the easiest way for a new player to build up a cash and mat reserve. The rewards for daily writs are considerably valuable.

Research?

As mentioned, trait research is necessary to craft the better sets...and to make good gear for yourself. The system starts out fast, then slows as you learn more and more. Start playing with research by using junk you pick up after you play, before you deconstruct everything. For gear, I recommend focusing on learning training and divines first. Tip...there’s always training junk on the boats where the game first drops you in the starter cities.

Motifs?

Adding to what Varanis said, you may use an Outfit Station to create a look made up of any motifs you know. It’s a confusing system, but you can go play with it if you like. You basically build a skin for your character that you can put over whatever the actual gear you have looks like.

All of your characters get one free outfit slot. So you can pay a little gold to make an outfit, then flip between it and your gear or costume whenever you like. Outfits are by character...they don’t share between like costumes. But you can create the same outfit on different characters if you like.

Note: when any character on your account learns a motif page, it opens the ability to use that item in an outfit for ANY character on your account This is important, thus the bold. Let’s say your mag sorc finds the motif “dwemer chests” and learns it. This unlocks dwemer chests on the outfit stations for any character you ever create. Anybody can make an outfit with Dwemer Chests after someone learns it. So if you spread motif knowledge around, everyone gets all known motifs at the outfit stations. But as a general rule, I advise picking an equipment crafter and learning all motifs on that character.

• xgoldelf
    xgoldelf
    Great information in this thread to get me started off well thank you
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't say which platform and server you're on. If you're on pc/NA I know of a couple of guilds that might be helpful.

consider looking for a good guild. There are a lot of guilds that are full of helpful people who don't mind answering questions or lending a hand, or even a few mats to finish a writ or certification.

I would hold off buying the motifs in the crown store. Check the guild traders. Most of the basic blue motifs are inexpensive, like 200 gold or less. Sometimes guildies will give away motifs and recipes. Sometimes they will also hand out items that beginning crafters can decon for experience.

• xgoldelf
    xgoldelf
    I’m on Xbox server
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xgoldelf wrote: »
    I’m on Xbox server

XB-NA?

I have a helpful guild with multiple master crafters who wouldn’t mind helping you out one bit. Is your Gamertag the same as your forum name?
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• xgoldelf
    xgoldelf
    gamertag is SmallFlame64666
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xgoldelf wrote: »
    That was extremely helpful actually. Thank you. Regarding the alchemist certifification, I picked up the mountain flower near the other reagents but it didn’t register in my inbox and then cursor on the map wasn’t shown anymore to find mountain flower. I only had the water solvent and columbine in my inventory. I abandoned the quest and started again but it still didn’t show the cursor in the map. Do you recommend deleting the 2 items in my inventory and trying again ? so last question putting my skill points in passives will improve the rate at what the product will be right ?

Don't toss out those alchemy ingredients, right now you're only one ingredient short of the potion you need. If you toss them they will not respawn as part of the certification quest. You'll just have to find the ingredients you need elsewhere but if you toss them that's more ingredients needing replacing overland.

Different passive skills cover different aspects of crafting. Some are useful, some are not, you'll find some guidance on which I find beneficial in my crafting guides.

I believe most of your other concerns have already been addressed. Welcome to ESO and have fun out there!

Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • xgoldelf
    xgoldelf
    Well said. I’ll be picking up the item eventually. I just didn’t want a quest to be glitching but everything in this thread is extremely informative. I’m starting to save my materials for future use in the bank.