The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Can't craft set jewelry without learning the set?

Wolfenbelle
Wolfenbelle
✭✭✭✭✭
This morning I tried to craft some low-level set jewelry for a new character I'm leveling. My jewelry crafter is level 50 (formerly vr16) and she is at level 33 in jewelry crafting. She has enough mats, traits researched, etc., to craft the set I wanted, but the crafting station indicated I could not craft the set because it isn't learned and I didn't have jewels of that set in inventory. At the same station, I can craft non-set jewelry for the low level I wanted.

Do we actually have to learn a set in addition to traits to craft jewelry? I thought as long as you have the appropriate number of traits researched for set requirements, you could craft the pieces you want. Is it different with jewelry? If yes, how the heck do you acquire crafted set jewels to craft your own?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to know the correct number of jewelry traits to craft set jewelry. If you did, I don't know what the problem would be.
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to know the correct number of jewelry traits to craft set jewelry. If you did, I don't know what the problem would be.

Thanks for your reply, which I appreciate. I did have the necessary number of traits researched, but the station indicated I did not know the set. Like when you can use a mimic stone, it asked do you have knowledge, etc., but it is jewelry so knowledge of the set should not apply, right? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but not sure.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wolfenbelle
    Strange. Did you want to craft a trait you don't know yet?

Else i also can't think of anything else, if you have the necessary number of traits researched, know the trait you want to craft, plus have all mats - it should work. ;)

edit: Oh wait, since we need 10 pieces of traitstones to make one real traitstone, that might be a thing too ... i.e. auric amber comes in pulver and 10 pulver need to be refined to 1 auric amber, which can be used to craft 1 piece of armor/weapon.
    Edited by Elsterchen on June 22, 2018 2:39PM
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »
    @Wolfenbelle

Else i also can't think of anything else, if you have the necessary number of traits researched, know the trait you want to craft, plus have all mats - it should work. ;)

edit: Oh wait, since we need 10 pieces of traitstones to make one real traitstone, that might be a thing too ... i.e. auric amber comes in pulver and 10 pulver need to be refined to 1 auric amber, which can be used to craft 1 piece of armor/weapon.

Thank you for your reply as well. At the same station, I could craft a non-set piece, no problem. But when I tried the set option, it was not allowed because I did not already know the set. It also would not give me the option to use a mimic stone. Tonight when I get home from work I will try again, but for now I don't understand the situation.
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭
    @Wolfenbelle

Thank you for your reply as well. At the same station, I could craft a non-set piece, no problem. But when I tried the set option, it was not allowed because I did not already know the set. It also would not give me the option to use a mimic stone. Tonight when I get home from work I will try again, but for now I don't understand the situation.

Please provide screenshots. I do not believe they will allow mimic stones for Jewelry Crafting, as it removes the very detailed ways of acquiring trait gems.

Also, was this attempted at an attuned crafting station in someone's home or in the overland location?
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mimic stones are for STYLES not TRAITS.

Jewelry doesn't have a STYLE.

Are you sure you have the TRAIT stone you need?
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    testd4n1 wrote: »
    @Wolfenbelle

Please provide screenshots. I do not believe they will allow mimic stones for Jewelry Crafting, as it removes the very detailed ways of acquiring trait gems.

Also, was this attempted at an attuned crafting station in someone's home or in the overland location?

I'm at work now but will provide screenshots this evening (eastern time zone). It was a set station out in the world, not attunable. Also, mimic stones should not be necessary for jewelry, but since the station seemed to be asking for the set to already be known, I tried to use a mimic stone. No way to do so.
    Edited by Wolfenbelle on June 22, 2018 4:24PM
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mix wrote: »

Exactly. I agree, but something made no sense so I thought I'd ask here. Will do screen shots this evening.

Just FYI, I have been in the game over 4 years and am a master crafter in everything except provisioning and jewelry. I'm only level 33 on jewelry on one character, so this was my first try at set jewelry. All I know is the station I was at would let me craft non-set pieces but not set piece of the same level, same trait. Did not make sense to me which is why I'm asking here (from my cell phone).
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That really does sound like it isn't recognizing that you have the required number of traits researched - able to craft identical item non-set but not the set version.
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭
    Mix wrote: »

Thank you for clarifying lol. Really tired at the moment and couldn't get it straight.
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you’re *sure* you have the correct number of traits researched in neck and ring *and* have the exact trait you want to use researched along with the trait stone? I know it seems like I’m asking a stupid, or possibly insulting, question —I’m not trying to. Those details can be easily overlooked in the excitement of trying something new.
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    Mash the buttons, hope for the best!
    I have some achievements
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone, I figured it out. You all were right. This morning I was rushing to craft the set before going to work. I wanted to do Willow's Path, which I had forgotten is a 6 trait set, not a 5 trait one. I don't have 6 traits researched yet in jewelry crafting.