Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Discover the Team and Work Behind the Music & Sounds of Summerset"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
bd7927e4b083ccc95e8181183e246bcc.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the Introducing the Discover the Team and Work Behind the Music & Sounds of Summerset blog article.

The Isle of Summerset is visually spectacular, but it is just as pleasing to the ear as it is to the eyes. Learn more about the team responsible for the sound and music in The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset unique and what went into its creation.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Bfish22090
    Bfish22090
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i want to hear from the augur. dude is a legend
  • King_Thelon
    King_Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to hear why Sloads went live.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's always cool to read about these behind-the-scenes technical aspects of the game. As an anime nerd and someone who appreciates good voice acting, I especially like learning about the voiceover aspects and hearing about the actors involved. And the sounds and music are so much a part of the game experience, but they often take a back seat to the attention given to gameplay and storylines and such. So it's good to see a spotlight on them from time to time.

Kudos to the team there.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very much appreciated, thank for publishing this! <3
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Murkmire (recently announced at E3)
    Recently announced in E3? Excuse me? Murkmire was announced at Quake Con in 2014. The zone's been in development for at least 4 years. How many years does it take to make a zone? Things like FaceFX from that presentation are still not in the game (the mouths were fixed, but all the other animations and design are mostly not present except for a minor handful of NPCs who got additional animation).

Don't get me wrong -- I love the audio and music in the game, and praise the team, but find it odd that Murkmire was just announced at E3, but that's not correct at all. More was shown of Murkmire in 2014 than at E3.
    Edited by Preyfar on June 20, 2018 3:02PM
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one experiencing that the newer bard songs are all really quiet? Whenever they play I try to listen because Ive always liked any of these, but anything else is just so much louder that Im unable to listen to it really. e.g. the troll at the enclave in grahtwood makes everything there unhearable except the older louder songs from the bard.
  • Alarra
    Alarra
    ✭✭✭
    I love the new music, both the soundtrack and the new bard songs (the Ancestor song is my favorite of those). Can’t wait until the soundtrack is released!

A few questions for @ZOS_SoundMaster , if he sees this thread:

* Is the singing in the main theme just wordless vocalizations, or does it have lyrics like the Morrowind theme? (And if so, what are they?)
    * Who sings the new bard songs?
    * The music in the E3 trailer (the remix of Three Hearts as One) is fantastic; any chance of that song becoming available/part of a soundtrack?
    UESP - Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995.
    UESP forum/blog/Discord admin, wiki patroller, NA/PC Guild Advisor
  • DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    working on this while the game burns?? theres still so many issues with the game but sound is the first priority why when you can barely play the game to be able to enjoy the music.
  • ZOS_SoundMaster
    ZOS_SoundMaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alarra wrote: »
    I love the new music, both the soundtrack and the new bard songs (the Ancestor song is my favorite of those). Can’t wait until the soundtrack is released!

A few questions for @ZOS_SoundMaster , if he sees this thread:

* Is the singing in the main theme just wordless vocalizations, or does it have lyrics like the Morrowind theme? (And if so, what are they?)
    * Who sings the new bard songs?
    * The music in the E3 trailer (the remix of Three Hearts as One) is fantastic; any chance of that song becoming available/part of a soundtrack?

Hi Alarra. Thanks for the kind words! To answer your questions...

The singing in the main theme is somewhere between "wordless" and "actual lyrics". With the exception of the singing in the Morrowind theme, most of the vocalizations in ESO's music are sung in a syllabic "dead language" that we came up with for the game. That is - they are words and syllables, but they don't actually translate to anything meaningful. So don't go crazy trying to figure out what they mean. :)

Sarah Tancer sings the new bard songs. She's one of our VO regulars, and also happens to be a great vocalist.

The music from the E3 trailer miiiiight be included on the Summerset OST. We're still figuring that one out. :)

-bd-

Brad Derrick
    Audio Director / Composer
    Staff Post
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well at least this stuff is working properly
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to this team for great music and FX, and also for the participation with us on these forums!
    PC-NA
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoy the music in ESO, and Summerset is no exception. :) Congratulations to the team!

One of my favourite pieces however remains that serene, dream-like female soprano voice you can usually hear singing while roaming around Stonefalls...
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The team did such an outstanding job that I think they should all get promotions to oversee the quality of the whole game :)

What they did with the traditional core ESO theme was done so well that I rank it right up there with what Game of Thrones did with their original season 1 theme in later seasons when they gave it the full orchestral treatment.

Awesome job.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to hear the road most traveled (called grazelands dawn in eso morrowind) get played in deshaan like it does in vvardenfell since that song is the spirit of morrowind essentially. It played in mournhold in the original morrowind and so as a tribute it should play in deshaan @ZOS_SoundMaster
    Edited by Aliyavana on June 26, 2018 9:38AM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Operation get the road most traveled into deshaan is a go! lets do this bois
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can the next article be "Introducing the team behind jewelry crafting master writs and discover their thought process!" Not a joke. I really wish I knew how those meetings went.
    Edited by redspecter23 on June 20, 2018 7:24PM
  • Thal_J
    Thal_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also have a question relating to soundtrack music for @ZOS_SoundMaster if he wouldn't mind:

Is there a possibility for any of the of the Summerset cinematic teaser trailer, full cinematic trailer, and the Summerset gameplay trailer tracks to be released with the soundtrack? I really enjoy these tracks from the trailers and I would love to listen to them clean!
    Edited by Thal_J on June 20, 2018 8:29PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always great to hear what the audio team is up to. They are the best. I am looking forward to what they have for Murkmire. Interesting wind instruments! Gonna be good.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_SoundMaster

Is there a listing somewhere of all the VOs? And which named characters they voice? I love all of their work, it's amazing, and I wish I could put names with their characters.

Also, love the new music. You knock it out of the park every time.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_SoundMaster

Just wanted to express my gratitude for the awesome ESO music which can stand on its own apart from the game and still is a great piece of work for everyone who appreciates and loves classical music. Outstanding!
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • ZOS_BeckyIchnoski
    ZOS_BeckyIchnoski
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_SoundMaster

Is there a listing somewhere of all the VOs? And which named characters they voice? I love all of their work, it's amazing, and I wish I could put names with their characters.

Hi! I put this together which outlines our Summerset cast and some of the more major roles that each actor did. Enjoy! :)

Andrew Pifko - Jurisreeve Soravil/Clavicus Vile
    April Stewart – Ulliceta gra-Kogg/Josajeh/Glardir
    Arianna Ratner – Oriandra/Enigma
    Audrey Wasilewski - Jurisreeve Lorne/Courtier Vindilween
    Barbara Goodson – Valsirenn/Z'Maja
    Ben Diskin – Augur of the Obscure/Pandermalion
    Christopher Smith – Razum Dar
    Fleur Saville - Kinlady Avinisse/Castire
    Fryda Wolff - Vivienne Muric/Silurie/Mother of Rats
    Gideon Emery - Sapiarch Soraturil/Fletch
    Helen Sadler - Earl Tundilwen/Tableau
    Henry Hereford - Esterdel
    Jason Spisak – Talomar/Bailiff Naramin
    Jim Ward – Mannimarco
    Jocelyn Blue - Justiciar Farowel/Nocturnal
    Jon Curry - Darien Gautier
    Julianne Grossman – Alchemy/Mephala
    Kath Soucie – Miriya/Kinlady Helenaere
    Keith Silverstein – Erudil/Cainar
    Keith Szarabajka – Barbas/Loremaster Celarus
    Liam O’Brien – Manacar/Eslion/Emile Oncent
    Liz Burnette - Proxy Queen Alwinarwe/Norasea
    Mary Faber – Rinyde/Elise Mallon/Erilthel
    Matthew Jayson – Sotha Sil/Roguzog
    Michelle Arthur - Meridia
    Neil Kaplan – Curtaros/K’Tora
    Nolan North – Ritemaster Iachesis/Grand Maestro Forte
    Olivia D’abo - Andewen
    Penrose Anderson - Calawende
    Peter Lavin – Tarnamir/Relicmaster Glenadir
    Rebecca Reidy - Lauriel
    Sarah Tancer - Revelator Lindafwe/Choixth/Bard Singer
    Steve Blum - Rigurt the Brash/Mehdze/Justiciar Hyircil
    Taliesin Jaffe – Faidur/Vanus Galerion
    Time Winters - Leythen

Becky Ichnoski, Voiceover Lead
    Staff Post
  • Vandus
    Vandus
    ✭✭
    Taliesin Jaffe & Liam O’Brien are a couple of my top VO favorites.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_SoundMaster

Hi! I put this together which outlines our Summerset cast and some of the more major roles that each actor did. Enjoy! :)

- list of awesomeness -

I am fangirling this list (and you for posting it) so hard right now.

Barbara Goodson is Valsirenn, that's amazing. And my brother totally called Taliesin Jaffe being Vanus but I wasn't sure. A few others I recognized (or already knew in the case of recurring characters) but it's lovely to have confirmation.

I throw glitter in your general direction.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It just seems appropriate that these two share a voice actor. :)
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • 16BitForestCat
    16BitForestCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat!! Thank you for this list--voice acting is a big interest of mine, and there are definitely names I follow (like the legendary Steve Blum). I'm forever being frustrated that I can't find a list of complete ESO voice work--always left wondering, who voices my main? Who voices this alt? Who voices that NPC?

I knew Travis Willingham was in ESO, but I had no clue Liam O'Brien and Taliesin Jaffe also contributed voice work at some point. Keep going, and we'll get the entire Critical Role gaming table in, if they haven't all turned up already. :D

I LOVE the lighter new music and sounds. The heavier sounds of the main game and many previous DLC's/Chapters are lovely, but hearing the same instruments, constant ambient orchestration, and "darker" sounds can get a little tiring on my ears when I've been playing pretty much daily since beta. (I also said elsewhere that I play the flute and had long been wondering where the hell the woodwinds are in ESO outside of bards and the occasional "guest appearance"--woodwinds like flutes can actually play really cool "dark" or "creepy" notes if you know what you're doing, and I know y'all do!) I hope you all keep expanding on your instruments, sounds, and techniques to always stay fresh and make every track truly unique. :)

P.S. "Time Winters" for a chilly temporal mage is a biiiit too on-the-nose, don't you think? ;)

P.P.S. Wait wait wait, the same person voices both soothing Sotha Sil and brash Roguzog? I just started Roguzog's quest, and I'm laffin' at this. :D
    Edited by 16BitForestCat on June 22, 2018 2:13AM
    PC/NA. Alliance agnostic: all factions suck and should go touch grass together.
    If you ever wonder why certain official fandom spaces are so often toxic, remember: corruption starts from the top.
  • Jake1576
    Jake1576
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least the people behind the music know what they are doing as for the other people not so much ty for breaking the game on ps4 with summerset now it's unplayable in pvp
  • SlowBadger
    SlowBadger
    Soul Shriven
    @ZOS_SoundMaster

Jason Spisak – Talomar/Bailiff Naramin
    Jim Ward – Mannimarco
    Jocelyn Blue - Justiciar Farowel/Nocturnal
    Jon Curry - Darien Gautier
    Kath Soucie – Miriya/Kinlady Helenaere
    Keith Silverstein – Erudil/Cainar
    Keith Szarabajka – Barbas/Loremaster Celarus
    Liam O’Brien – Manacar/Eslion/Emile Oncent
    Liz Burnette - Proxy Queen Alwinarwe/Norasea
    Mary Faber – Rinyde/Elise Mallon/Erilthel
    Matthew Jayson – Sotha Sil/Roguzog
    Michelle Arthur - Meridia
    Neil Kaplan – Curtaros/K’Tora
    Nolan North – Ritemaster Iachesis/Grand Maestro Forte
    Olivia D’abo - Andewen
    Penrose Anderson - Calawende
    Peter Lavin – Tarnamir/Relicmaster Glenadir
    Rebecca Reidy - Lauriel
    Sarah Tancer - Revelator Lindafwe/Choixth/Bard Singer
    Steve Blum - Rigurt the Brash/Mehdze/Justiciar Hyircil
    Taliesin Jaffe – Faidur/Vanus Galerion
    Time Winters - Leythen

Thank you so much for this. Also means I can start to figure out who voiced some minor characters from older content as well.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    I would like to hear the road most traveled (called grazelands dawn in eso morrowind) get played in deshaan like it does in vvardenfell since that song is the spirit of morrowind essentially. It played in mournhold in the original morrowind and so as a tribute it should play in deshaan @ZOS_SoundMaster

Still campaigning for this change.
    @ZOS_SoundMaster