The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I can't make a decision. Help deciding Magic build.

Elric_Ashborn
Elric_Ashborn
✭✭✭
Hello, first off I thank you in advance to all those that provide any aid in helping me with this... matter. I've been building builds for about a month now straight. I simply cannot decide. I know I want a bit of tanky dps magic build. With a pretty good amount of utility. These are my findings (some of you may disagree with and not like). I am looking for mainly PvE but I would like as versatile as possible for the option of pvp down the road.

Sorcerer: (My least ideal choice) for many many reasons, but some main ones include that they are so popular. It seems like everyone and their grandmother is running this build, I've personally built one and got annoyed being deflected so often. This may not be the norm, but it still dissuades me from picking this build. That said, if it is the best choice, then so be it.

Templar: The class that I keep running back to. Seemingly overpowered long range moves and eclipse ruining most builds this seems like the "go to" choice. It's hard to describe what it is about the Templar I don't like. If I had to put my finger on it, it is "the sweeps." It's so good I find myself feeling guilty not using as my main spammable, but it's not that good where I feel like I'm ripping up players/NPCs. All in all, I will probably end up using this build if no clear consensus is taken...

Dragonknight: The one I want to make work, I even have a "special combo" that seems to take players by surprise in duels. My main issue with this build is the specialized damage. (All Fire) which just so happens to be the seeming number one thing people are running against these days due to Vampire popularity. The best deflection move, and probably the best emergency button (Magma Armor), and one of the best team synergy classes in my opinion.

Warden: N/A I find this class lackluster.

Any thoughts? Or am I doomed to eternally repeat my debate?
  • Gothrock
    Gothrock
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblade.
  • madchuska83
    madchuska83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gothrock wrote: »
    Nightblade.

This. MagBlades are currently the hardest hitting magicka based class. Sorcs have more group utility, but Nightblades do more single target damage.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are up to a difficult rotation, NB is the answer. Highest damage, great survivability, great movement, great utility in the form of group heals. A good Mageblade makes a healer unnecessary in most 4-man content. The downside is that they are far and away the hardest class to play at the highest level. They are the only class that actually makes my hands sweat.

Templar and DK are both pretty strong this patch as well. The rotations are easier. Both can be played in melee range if that appeals to you, and both can make good tanks/be tanky. A tanky damage dealer is always going to be a trade off. You can really make any class tanky, but the trade off is going to be a less DPS. Templar is also doing really well with ranged builds this patch using the new psijic skill as a spammable.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except maybe the DK all Magicka DPS play mostly the same. They all have very similar builds and rotations - maintain buffs, maintain your DoTs, keep weaving light attacks + 1 or 2 class specific skills.

It really doesn't matter in the end because they're all very similar. The only difference is DK needs to stay in melee range. Just take the class you like most and you'll be fine with it.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -