The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do you use catapults? The line of sight is off

maboleth
maboleth
✭✭✭✭✭
Catapults and meatbags got buffed and dedicated for certain roles, but I cannot use these on the walls. The line of sight is so "detached" that I cannot see where I am aiming. I'm mostly seeing walls around me.

Twisting camera settings doesn't help. Choosing "constrained" over "free" is even worse, especially if you have floor above your siege.
  • raviour
    raviour
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why are you using Cats and MB on walls Mabo ? :)

I noticed my scattershots and meatbags are not touching enemy sieges now so I guess this is a thing.

* used a meatbag on a wall once n everyone laughed at me saying I should know better. I was " Wtf Its all I got, 1k dmg better than 0"
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You don't. Everyone should stop sieging me.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • gp1680
    gp1680
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is item #626252726161 on their list of items to fix in PvP. Be patient...they’re working on it.
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, @rav, I'm not using them for the walls, I'm using them from the walls to hit attackers outside. :)

And it's nearly impossible to hit targets close to the walls, because you cannot see where catapults are shooting at.

It's like catapults were made for the fields and outside, but since latest patch they are more effective for enemy players than balistas. Unfortunately, only on paper. At least for me.
  • DemonDruaga
    DemonDruaga
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is more or less a tool for area denial. For breaches, flags and other narrow places. I don't think they were designed to be used from above the walls.
    Ardor // Dunkelsicht // Pakt
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is more or less a tool for area denial. For breaches, flags and other narrow places. I don't think they were designed to be used from above the walls.

They are though, stack a few scattershots and you can kill an entire zerg in a breach with light attacks.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very much with you on this OP. They need to make it the same line of sight as ballistas! Would truly be a QoL win-win.

Catapults in RL (yeah i know this is a fantasy game...blah blah) Were not typically used from walls. They had "spotters" to help aim OVER the walls, so they could shoot over them. Problem in this game though, there isn't a ton of space in most courtyards to get many of them up. It also wouldn't effect most attackers unless they were pretty close to the walls. (which they aren't because of ranged defenders and aforementioned ballistas)
    Edited by Dreyloch on June 19, 2018 8:34PM
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreyloch wrote: »
    I'm very much with you on this OP. They need to make it the same line of sight as ballistas! Would truly be a QoL win-win.

Catapults in RL (yeah i know this is a fantasy game...blah blah) Were not typically used from walls. They had "spotters" to help aim OVER the walls, so they could shoot over them. Problem in this game though, there isn't a ton of space in most courtyards to get many of them up. It also wouldn't effect most attackers unless they were pretty close to the walls. (which they aren't because of ranged defenders and aforementioned ballistas)

So what do you suggest is the best option for hordes of enemies around the walls? Balistas, again? I hoped they seriously lowered their usability with this patch. Because people tended to overuse balistas for everything.

Diversity is the beauty I think.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Practice.

No joke, I've gotten pretty good at using siege versus enemies with those less than effective camera angles. (And these were actually updated a while back.)
    Though admittedly, I haven't used a catapult in a long time, not since last update at least.

One tip, turn the base game combat scroll on. Fire where the numbers pop up, adjust accordingly.
    Edited by driosketch on June 19, 2018 9:32PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Practice.

No joke, I've gotten pretty good at using siege versus enemies with those less than effective camera angles. (And these were actually updated a while back.)
    Though admittedly, I haven't used a catapult in a long time, not since last update at least.

One tip, turn the base game combat scroll on. Fire where the numbers pop up, adjust accordingly.

I have the damage scroll from my add-ons. I'll admit some of this is my own fault. I have my mouse scroll up button as my Synergy. That's on me, so I can't adjust camera in and out.I'm basically scrolled all the way out on camera full time. But the camera angle on ballistas don't give me much issue. The one on catapults is just terrible. It just doesn't work =(
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They changed the ballista size, placemant distance, and aiming several patches ago (more than a year). As I observe it, this was a huge buff to organized groups (20/20 a keep without much spacing) and to the beloved wallhugging siege heros.

The buffs to catapults are very strong for keep defenders. As a result, players hesitate to push even more than before. It can make for some exciting keep battles, but often it gets just a boring game of who can make/repair more breaches.

I agree that the catapult aiming is not optimal. But changing it in the current state of siege PvP would make catapults with their lingering AOE effects totally overpowered.

TL;DR:
    Everyone should stop sieging me.

no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just got use to firing blind. Through trial and error I found the places on the walls where my character could stand in safety and drop shots right in front of the gate and walls. I have the combat numbers switched on for outgoing damage and dots, so when I shoot the catapult and see a cloud of numbers rising I know I'm aiming in the right place - then I just keep shooting at the same place until the numbers stop. And when the fights over and I quit the catapult I get a couple more big numbers as a nice reward :)
    PC EU