Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP Stamplar Build - Monk

Minno
Minno
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Just before Summerset dropped, I swapped my magplar to stamplar. My magplar was becoming further from trying to stick with the "monk" class, so I swapped to stamina to make full use of the bow/dodge roll/speed mechanics. I am VERY happy with how the build plays, I find it fun without crutching on disgusting "meta" things players like to complain about.

Build Editor and Videos (videos only have 1 swift trait with 1 healthy/stam and don't mind the t-bags they are only for sload/overload attack users lol):
CP: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=66404
nCP: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=67327
https://youtu.be/4kZw8gjH5ok
https://youtu.be/ngEjpkK6YE8
https://youtu.be/1ibKEMTYJc8
Vids using updated stats and lethal arrow:
https://youtu.be/2gcv1nzLst0
https://youtu.be/XejwOBv-1Co

Race:
Imperial. Orc and Redguard good as well. Any stamina race really, even Nord since in nCP your 8% dmg mitigation passive will be better used there.

Sets:
2pc troll king/slimecraw/valkyn/Blood spawn or whatever you want. Change this 2pc up pending what you face in each BG (flex gear)
5 pc Ironblood set (One body, 2 jewels with swift traits, infused bow/nirn 2h, 2 Dmg 1stam Regen enchants)
5 pc Bone Pirate. (4 body, 1 jewel with robust)

Stats(cp):
10k Mag
25k Health
35k-37k Stam
3600-4000k Weapon Dmg
1014 Mag Recovery (including 240 every second using channeled focus)
1900-2k Stam Recovery buffed with Tripots
39-40% Crit Chance buffed
80% Crit DMG (with minor force)
3000 minimum Crit Resistance
2-3k armor Pen (before 20% mace)
serpent Mundas
dubious drink
23k spell resistance/20k physical resistance buffed

Skills:
2h Bar (Nirn/sharp whichever you get):
Stampede, Race against time, biting jabs, POTL, rally. Flawless dawnbreaker/Crescent Sweep
weird bar setup. this might change, but POTL + stampede with double poisons/jabs work alot harder than you think. 60% snare is evil, and you can also pair it with an immobilize/stam cost increase poison to create situations in 1v1 where you can jab behind your target. Also use minor vitality/minor defile poison too.

Bow bar:(infused)
Poison injection, channeled focus, extended ritual, draining shot, vigor/flex. Undo
Escape/CC bar, basic but draining shot is kinda your better CC since in nCP javelin is WAY too expensive and doesnt give any other benefit. You have to use it offensively, and sparingly on the defense.

Notes:
General notes:
"Quick and cunning with the empty hand, they are strong in spirit. They prefer to solve conflict by arrow or by fist." - Oblivion in-game class description.
In oblivion, if you played the monk you had to switch between the bow/hand/spells ALOT. And in that game, you used agility/willpower as your favorite attributes (which governed how strong you were at bow/alteration magic). Given how ESO is kinda a watered-down elder scrolls game, this build will make rough transitions to the major skills used by the Oblivion Monk (and fair warning this doesn't play like a meta-stamplar crutching on bleeds which means you have to work a bit harder to get your kills):
- Marksman - "Bow attacks have a chance of knocking the target down/bow attacks have a chance of paralyzing the target" Draining shot and using immobilize poison/stampede snare mimic this.
- Security- "locking picking" Just roll the ledgerman skill line and steal for making money.
- Sneak- "bonus damage from stealth and ignore armor raiting" ESO gives everyone this change to deal extra damage from stealth with stamina based abilities. Mace gives you armor pen on your attacks too.
- Acrobatics - "Gains the Dodge ability. 50% less Fatigue loss while jumping." Basically get anything to help you dodge roll in combat. Bow/medium armor in ESO count towards acrobatics. Also troll bunny-hopping lol.
- Hand-to-Hand- " Mastery left and right power attack. Has a chance to disarm and also recoils opponents using weapons when blocking. Mastery forward power attack, chance to paralyze and, when blocking, has a chance of disarm on knockback" This one is tricky. There is no unarmed combat in ESO (dumb), BUT we have a class that does deal additional damage to blocking targets (templar). Also biting jabs is legit the ONLY ability in ESO that looks like you have no weapon plus gives off a snare so it kinda acts like a paralyze. For roleplay purposes, templar is the only class that can roll monk style toons in ESO for this reason alone.
- Athletics- "Running does not reduce Fatigue regeneration. " Before summerset, you had to roll specific sets in order to reduce your sprint speed heavily without CP. Now we can use race against time. That plus medium armor, gives about a 1% per second drain on stamina with this build.
- Alteration- Basically you used to be able to burden a target's inventory and cast damage mitigating shields on yourself. Our stam cost poison matches alternation a little bit, but if you really want to match this drop vigor/slot troll king and use bone shield. Bone shield is the closest a stamina user can get to mimicking alternation from Oblivion.

Why are we running ironblood? speed modifiers counteract ALL snares and with the introduction of swift traits, we can basically nullify 18-20% off the ironblood snare (giving us a 32/30% snare to deal with, which is negated by medium sprint speed. Therefore, we can get a pirate skeleton style mitigation without the defile (a death sentience for stamina templar). You do get a health bonus, and since we are imperial we can use that alot more than popular stamina races like red-guard. Ironblood also overrides all other snares under it, so you always expect to deal with 50% snares running it. Gap closers also ignore the snares, so thats why we run crit ruish. Bone Pirate is the only set that allows you to run ironblood; you need bone pirate as stamplar.)

Attack Notes:
This is still being explored, but basically you apply poison injection-light attack-bar swap-potl-stampede. Then when you are close, decide if you want to run some jabs/dawnbreaker or bar swap and apply draining shot. If done right, you can reposition after the kill or LOS around the tankier players. Usually after the first draining shot, you can POTL and stampede into jabs/heavy+DB for the tankier players. There are situations in my video where I showcase this better than I can describe (and times when I fail heavily lol.) You do feel the loss on missing out on executioner, but this isn't that build :\.

Regen Notes:
Stamplar sucks for sustain lol. Bone pirate+medium with dubious drink and serpent mundas does give sexy enough regen to stack DMG enchants. but otherwise you NEED tripots! Magplar crutches on ele drain/channeled focus, but stamplar has to crutch on pots/heavy attacks. You can use immovable Stam pots, but the heal from tripots helps you out more by giving you a mini burst heal.

Conclusion:
Pros: very fun, very fast, good mix between solo survivability and group play.
Cons: very squishy at times, tough sustain, weird bar setup, and dmg a bit lower than other stamina specs (especially those using bleeds/sloads/undodgeable Cc combos.)

But overall I like it, and takes some time to get used to it.

Edit:
Edited the CP build editor to streamline the CP placement and make fixes on things I noticed were wrong (like forward momentum instead of rally showing up).
Edited by Minno on July 2, 2018 6:51PM
Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
- Guild-lead for MV
- Filthy Casual
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar does suck for sustain indeed.

BP + Dubious + Redguard + Vamp + 1 regen glyph on the necklace has been my solution to it personally. :)

Btw what kind of graphic settings are you running in those clips? Also, did you mess around with any of those UserSettings.txt changes or is it completely 'original'?

Thanks for letting me know!
    Edited by LegendaryMage on June 18, 2018 11:01PM
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nvm.
    Edited by amir412 on June 19, 2018 7:03AM
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar does suck for sustain indeed.

BP + Dubious + Redguard + Vamp + 1 regen glyph on the necklace has been my solution to it personally. :)

Btw what kind of graphic settings are you running in those clips? Also, did you mess around with any of those UserSettings.txt changes or is it completely 'original'?

Thanks for letting me know!

Yea I don't run vamp. Redgaurd would be good here but I'm imperial just in case I need to go back to magplar.

I run my graphics straight to my video card. In Nvidia control panel, you can force the game to go through the graphics card for everything. You just need to turn off all the settings in the game (except a few).
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very nice I miss 2H/Bow stamplar. Some of the most fun I've ever had as stamplar was the old 2H/bow days.
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unique, interesting, and fun to watch, good work!
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OdinForge wrote: »
    Very nice I miss 2H/Bow stamplar. Some of the most fun I've ever had as stamplar was the old 2H/bow days.
    Chrlynsch wrote: »

Thanks! I'll probably make more tweaks as I go on, but that's what I have and I'm sticking with it.

I could swap ironblood, but I always feel more tankier in major protection sets than I do with crit resists. I know the math points to sets like impreg, but I always felt terrible in those sets. Plus no one is gonna run ironblood, the grind to get the pieces you need is worse than bone pirate lol
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OdinForge wrote: »
    Chrlynsch wrote: »

Thanks! I'll probably make more tweaks as I go on, but that's what I have and I'm sticking with it.

I could swap ironblood, but I always feel more tankier in major protection sets than I do with crit resists. I know the math points to sets like impreg, but I always felt terrible in those sets. Plus no one is gonna run ironblood, the grind to get the pieces you need is worse than bone pirate lol
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You find poisons enough on healing targets? Kind of miss bow as I’ve been running 1h shield for a little more resist , stun, and defile. Chug speed pots a lot or lately; lingering health
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    You find poisons enough on healing targets? Kind of miss bow as I’ve been running 1h shield for a little more resist , stun, and defile. Chug speed pots a lot or lately; lingering health

No I need to use lethal arrow against heavy healing builds. So what I do is I swap vigor for lethal arrow or make sure I'm with a teammate running a healing debuff (preferably non-duroks so I don't have to tbag my own team when they die lol) .

I tried other poisons, and the immobilze ones are the best for keeping them grounded and wary of wasting resorces. Many players prioritize dodge roll/forward momentum over keeping on the offense as well this way.

I should see if I can get a minor defile with immobilze; that would be the best poison for this build.

Edit:

Also, 3-4 PC ironblood gives you more resists than the snb shield. So it's possible to run that with bow, still use lethal arrow for the defile, and be effective in the bow. Trick with bow is you can't use it defensively, it has to be used offensively. For example, open with lethal arrow or stampede then use draining shot right before your potl bursts or you need to deshield a target. The second you try to use lethal arrow in the middle of combat to stop sometimes offense or try to rely on the draining shot heal you are dead.

Reposition, lethal arrow then reposition again if the first didn't stick.
    Edited by Minno on June 19, 2018 3:48PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

No I need to use lethal arrow against heavy healing builds. So what I do is I swap vigor for lethal arrow or make sure I'm with a teammate running a healing debuff (preferably non-duroks so I don't have to tbag my own team when they die lol) .

I tried other poisons, and the immobilze ones are the best for keeping them grounded and wary of wasting resorces. Many players prioritize dodge roll/forward momentum over keeping on the offense as well this way.

I should see if I can get a minor defile with immobilze; that would be the best poison for this build.

Yeah, I had used lethal arrow before but I really hate trying to fire that off then going into melee. It does get the job done though I suppose.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I had used lethal arrow before but I really hate trying to fire that off then going into melee. It does get the job done though I suppose.

Yea ideally I never want to use it, but lethal arrow into draining shot then crit rush is funny. Too many trigger happy melee fighters these days lol.

I really need to find out if defile can come in an immobilze poison. That would be the best to use.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice idea running Ironblood indeed! I farmed the set with great expectations and was somewhat disappointed with the strong slow you apply to yourself. Can you confirm it overrides other forms of slow, meaning that you dont feel any difference if you dont run any snareremove anyways?? That would be really interesting..
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeezye wrote: »
    Very nice idea running Ironblood indeed! I farmed the set with great expectations and was somewhat disappointed with the strong slow you apply to yourself. Can you confirm it overrides other forms of slow, meaning that you dont feel any difference if you dont run any snareremove anyways?? That would be really interesting..

I've done only lose combat tests. Things like vamps bane can't override the 50% ironblood snare because visually your speed is constant with ironblood on. Though the difference between 40% and 50% is visually neglible, so once you get used to the snare you know when you should other forms of mobilty to ignore those snares (gap closers and dodge roll mostly both of which let you move at full speed).

I haven't tested with stampede, because most meta players are running crit rush and almost no one is running a 70% snare, except other templars with jabs.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done only lose combat tests. Things like vamps bane can't override the 50% ironblood snare because visually your speed is constant with ironblood on. Though the difference between 40% and 50% is visually neglible, so once you get used to the snare you know when you should other forms of mobilty to ignore those snares (gap closers and dodge roll mostly both of which let you move at full speed).

I haven't tested with stampede, because most meta players are running crit rush and almost no one is running a 70% snare, except other templars with jabs.

I see. Anways counteracting the snare with swift trade is a really cool idea. Im runnign a stamblade tank with dark cloak, I jsut def try this setup
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see. Anways counteracting the snare with swift trade is a really cool idea. Im runnign a stamblade tank with dark cloak, I jsut def try this setup

If you use 3 swift traits on yellow jewels, you'll get 30% extra movement speed which then only gives you a 20% snare left. Sprint is 30-40% I think, then add major expedition and you'll have completely ignored ironblood snare.

With bleeds in BGs, having major/minor protection without defiles is very very useful. Especially since you lose out on thick skin.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Always enjoyable to fight against you Minno, and love the build post!
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »

Thanks man!

Few changes incoming as well. For CP, we might not need windrunner since we have Swift. So we can drop that tree down to 75 max and stack those points elsewhere.

Also, run serpent stone with 3 DMG enchants. That will put you at 4k WD and roughly 1.8-2k Regen in nCP/CP. Kinda balanced considering I'm not using ravanger/HA boring sets.

I'll get update videos soon; just got my second Swift trait and will be another month before I can get enough stones for my 3rd Swift.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks man!

Few changes incoming as well. For CP, we might not need windrunner since we have Swift. So we can drop that tree down to 75 max and stack those points elsewhere.

Also, run serpent stone with 3 DMG enchants. That will put you at 4k WD and roughly 1.8-2k Regen in nCP/CP. Kinda balanced considering I'm not using ravanger/HA boring sets.

I'll get update videos soon; just got my second Swift trait and will be another month before I can get enough stones for my 3rd Swift.

I see you are using the Swift Traits...nice.

How big a loss in dps has it been for you going from x3 Robust to x1 Robust?

Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on June 20, 2018 2:40AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of monk doesn't meditate????
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks man!

I see you are using the Swift Traits...nice.

How big a loss in dps has it been for you going from x3 Robust to x1 Robust?

Full robust I was at 38k stamina. I'm at 35k stamina with 3. About 300 WD loss, but you gain movement speed cap without sprinting. So there's tradeoffs.
    What kind of monk doesn't meditate????

This kind
    https://youtu.be/TSdgRg7Wclk

Edit:
    For now I'm going to stick with 2 Swift 1 robust. That puts you at 36.5k stamina but still have 18% extra speed which is 8% higher than other 5pc sets (could get 20% if I gold but that expensive material isn't worth the jump just yet).
    Edited by Minno on June 20, 2018 3:01PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit 2:
    Added another BG video showing @technohic the use of lethal arrow for major defile. I swapped vigor for that, but you can use minor vitality/minor defile poisons here as well.
    Edited by Minno on June 28, 2018 9:35PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Minno nice vid. I was actually using it this past weekend on my build. I like to do POTL right after the snipe so it gets there before the snipe lands and follow with poison injection into stampede then my melee combos. Good opener but not so easy to pull off mid fight.

I actually got hooked on Magplar before that though playing with Psijic skills so respec back to that. I think part of it is having some resource management tools. Was a bit frustrated with Stamplar there
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Minno nice vid. I was actually using it this past weekend on my build. I like to do POTL right after the snipe so it gets there before the snipe lands and follow with poison injection into stampede then my melee combos. Good opener but not so easy to pull off mid fight.

I actually got hooked on Magplar before that though playing with Psijic skills so respec back to that. I think part of it is having some resource management tools. Was a bit frustrated with Stamplar there

That's why you need bone pirate. Maybe some stamplars can use repentance right, but for some you cant get used to a playstyle that is clunky to play no matter how much you slame your head into it.

Bone pirate, serpent atro, medium armor, and a heavy attack with tri pots is the only way ive found to sustain (at least in nCP).
    The other thing ive found is that certain skills are WAY too expensive in nCP without a way to sustain outside your effective regen (vigor, jav, etc). And I only heavy attack on bow for resource gain (it has a higher resource return than the 2h, but its easier to counter so i only try to aim at targets I know will take the hit).

That is why we run channeled focus, its not effective regen that makes it more effective to help with purges and higher uptime on armor buffs.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify on snare stacking: speed boots override snares? So swift, major expedition, etc will overrule snares and the snares aren't applied multiplicatively at the end?

So for example if you have 1 piece swift, then major expedition you've got +50% speed, but a 70% snare will give you -20% speed? Then if you have a -20% snare you'll go to +20% speed when sprinting (I think it's +40% speed).

I've always had a hard time sussing that out.
    Edited by Adenoma on June 29, 2018 3:33PM
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adenoma wrote: »
    Just to clarify on snare stacking: speed boots override snares? So swift, major expedition, etc will overrule snares and the snares aren't applied multiplicatively at the end?

So for example if you have 1 piece swift, then major expedition you've got +50% speed, but a 70% snare will give you -20% speed? Then if you have a -20% snare you'll go to +20% speed when sprinting (I think it's +40% speed).

I've always had a hard time sussing that out.

I believe it was speculated in another thread that MA and orc sprint speed is multiplicative. But all over speeds are additive (swift, windrunner, major/minor expedition, sets with speed, etc).

But keep in mind, there isn't a pure test for speeds. You just have to experiment and base it off your current build.
    With 3 swift at gold, youll be at 30% extra speed which is hard countered by a spamable snare (vamps bane, DW bleed, etc.) But you can't stack a 30% snare with a 50% snare, the highest overrides the lowest. That is why we run ironblood; crit rush lets you run around in that snare and dodge roll helps you place distance defensively (both ignore ALL snares with ironblood overriding any snare under the 50% mark).
    Edited by Minno on June 29, 2018 6:15PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual