Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A No Proc Set Test Week?

Vapirko
Vapirko
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
ZOS has admitted that proc sets contribute to lag. You can feel the difference when fighting a group running lots of proc sets. I for one would be interested in having a no proc week in PvP just to see what the difference would be like and then move to consider whether PvP would simply be better off without procs, or at least have a campaign that disables their use.

A No Proc Set Test Week? 87 votes

Yes
73%
chimneyswift_ESOMojmirkaithuzarTrollwutleetacakesb16_ESOYakidafiAnkaridanAvaglaorjcasini222ub17_ESOBlobskyTommy83MalyckVagabondAngelkollege14a5felinith66ReverbApheriusVaohMaster_KasSkinzz 64 votes
No
16%
GilvothWuffyCeruleiSnitmoleculeChunkyCatTyrion87KadoinThe_ProtagonistPuzzlenutsAkromaAngelOfWrathWhite wabbitshinikazeak_pvpLichbourne90 14 votes
Other
10%
Agrippa_InvisusSerjustin19Dracan_FontomFischblutDoccEffeso_nyaHippie4927oXI_Viper_IXoATomiX96 9 votes
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I don't use proc sets, least not until now. Thinking of using proc since Summer set. With new changes to 2h, awesome. Although this is first time about proc make lag. If that the case, not awesome.
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I just setup my magplar with a proc build, first time ever, and I am not ready to give it up. I would, though, be fine with a no-proc campaign.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sounds like I'd have to make gear to replace Lich, can we get some sweet jewelry crafting mats to compensate having to craft a different set that might go in the trash after a week?

I'm on console, so no PTS for me.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really depends on how you’re defining “proc set”. Sets like Sloads and Zaan are not the same as sets like Lich or Fury, even though they can all be classified as proc sets depending on how you define “proc”.
    Edited by Anrose on June 6, 2018 12:25PM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Anrose wrote: »
    Really depends on how you’re defining “proc set”. Sets like Sloads and Zaan are not the same as sets like Lich or Fury, even though they can all be classified as proc sets depending on how you define “proc”.

This is true, I suppose you could differentiate between stat altering sets and outright damage/healing sets, but even the stat changing sets require more split second calculations that I assume have to run checks with the server. I’d be in favor of seeing the difference between proc and none at all.
  • Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

This is true, I suppose you could differentiate between stat altering sets and outright damage/healing sets, but even the stat changing sets require more split second calculations that I assume have to run checks with the server. I’d be in favor of seeing the difference between proc and none at all.

I like the stat altering procs, they add flavor to gameplay and some of them require you to play in a way that you wouldn’t normally to get more bang than you would without them.

But the damage procs are just too much. I would be in favor of not having any damage/healing procs at all. It would reintroduce skillful play and the TTK would be back at a reasonable level.

But back on topic, I would be willing to bet the stat altering procs are worse for server performance than the damage ones.
    Edited by Anrose on June 6, 2018 2:52PM
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Would be fun seeing all "tanks" with sload/skoria etc having 0 damage and see how much kills they get without their crutches :trollface:
    EU | PC
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I like this idea, though I'm curious as to what constitutes a proc set that would affect lag; traditionally the community labels a set a proc if its a set that deals baked-in damage from a stam class, ignoring those behaving similarly for magicka classes. Taking the literal definition assuming they are the culprit for lag, even sets like transmutation are technically "procs". So my guess is that this won't be testable/executable in game & we shouldn't hope.
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Procs are core mechanics for a lot of gear. If they're also a big driver of lag, then ZOS needs to address that directly. That's a code fix, not a ruleset issue.

On the other hand, perhaps this is another "I really hate proc sets" thread, despite introducing it as a lag issue. If that's so, I'd point out that there are a bunch of things some subset of people hate in PvP. We could also have a "no shields" or "no shield stacking" campaign, a "no permablock builds" campaign and (if lag is the issue) "no groups bigger than four" or "no AoE's" campaigns. "No nightblade gankers" would also be popular.

That's a lot of potential campaigns. Do you think the answer to lag or balance issues is to further fracture an already too-small PvP player base?

Edited by Snit on June 11, 2018 8:51PM
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Snit wrote: »
    Procs are core mechanics for a lot of gear. If they're also a big driver of lag, then ZOS needs to address that directly. That's a code fix, not a ruleset issue.

On the other hand, perhaps this is another "I really hate proc sets" thread, despite introducing it as a lag issue. If that's so, I'd point out that there are a bunch of things some subset of people hate in PvP. We could also have a "no shields" or "no shield stacking" campaign, a "no permablock builds" campaign and (if lag is the issue) "no groups bigger than four" or "no AoE's" campaigns. "No nightblade gankers" would also be popular.

That's a lot of potential campaigns. Do you think the answer to lag or balance issues is to further fracture an already too-small PvP player base?

I’d love a no perna blocking/shield spamming week. But those don’t cause the same kind of stress on the servers that proc sets use due to both their animations and the extra checks they need to run against the server constantly. And no I don’t like proc sets outside of the ones that affect stats like bloodspawn, lich, fury etc. I have no issue with those. I think PvP would be a lot better off in general without the animations and extra damage from sets like sloads, Zaan, skoria, thorvokun, selenes and so on. But again that’s beside the point. Proc sets cause lag and if zos isn’t going to step up and figure it out we need to see how men pressure they’re putting on the system and possibly make one of the campaigns a no proc campaign.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Pillow cases and handbags that's what it will come too
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Well they tried a no CP week. CP wasn't the cause of the lag. Was good to know.

I would love a no free damage/no heal proc test. Leave sets which modify stats. It seems unlikely to happen from a dev perspective, though; I kinda doubt they could just flip a switch like they obviously can for no CP.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'd be up for this. It would be interesting, no matter the outcome.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I would classify it as any set bonus with an effect of "condition X has Y% chance to do Z. ".
    Edited by Reverb on June 17, 2018 5:06PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SkysOutThizeOut
    SkysOutThizeOut
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Vapirko wrote: »

Damage proc sets. Or proc sets that affect more than the individual... I think those are the true culprits.
    Edited by SkysOutThizeOut on June 17, 2018 5:15PM
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Naked fistfighting campaign.
    No sets, no procs, no op skills, super balanced and ultra fair! \o/
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Er, not sure if I can live without my earthgore. I like never got it and I don't ever take it off.
  • Blobsky
    Blobsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    eso_nya wrote: »

Would probably still lag though lol
    Yt Channell: Blobsky

DC EU Nightblade
    Owner of 'The Travelling Merchant' - Craglorn trade guild since near release!
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Would like to have a separate campaign that didn't allow any proc (crutch) sets.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Blobsky wrote: »
    eso_nya wrote: »

Would probably still lag though lol

Prolly, yeah xD

Tho imo the more "problematic" stuff for performance is the whole buff/debuff/minibuff system togehter with the overcomplicated damage and mitigation formulas.

Sloads on the other hand, _should_ be very good for performance, as it doesnt care for casters buffstatus and for targets mitigation status. So no need for recalculating dmg on every tick.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue with this idea is Zos would force players to change their sets or underperform or just refrain from PvP for that week.

It would not create an incentive to load the servers since it would remove the incentive for some to play. This is really the case since most players have at least one proc set with monster helps.

In other words OP needs to actually think of a way it can work. Not just suggest it and think it is that simple.
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    The problem with this is the lack of imagination of ZOS when it comes to class vs gear balancing.

There are a lot of classes that crutch on the specific proc sets due to not being well balanced without them in existence.

IMO, the various 5 piece bonuses should all be passives instead of procs. If a class needs extra damage to compete or be balanced, then that should be innate to the class.

As it is, without most of the current gear in play, we don't actually know where things would stand balance wise.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    you are delusional if you think ZO$ has the ability/framework/competence/time to disable certain effects and sets in pvp.
    too much effort for no money, why bother :trollface:
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I’d love it. But it won’t happen.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • VagabondAngel
    VagabondAngel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Proc sets are basically ***. Why they would ever be allowed in PvP in the first place is beyond me; rng crutch to buff dps as a surrogate for skill, like there weren't enough problems in PvP already.

Great for click happy PvEers to feel powerful in group content but have no place in an environment where skill and awareness should matter more.

Problem is, while they exist and are allowed, everyone is going to use them since you basically stunt yourself without them.
    Edited by VagabondAngel on July 25, 2018 9:33AM
    ~ Níamh ~
    ~ Ebonheart Pact ~

~ SatGNU - PC - EU ~
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    How many sets in the game are proc sets? The servers would be ghost towns.