The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mac equivalent of eso64.exe?

Ostacia
Ostacia
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi, I'm having the trouble with Steam and see PC users saying they are able to access the game via launching directly from a file called eso64.exe. What is the Mac equivalent of this file and can it be used to launch the game? Thanks!
PC/ NA
Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're probably all set now, but it's located here:
    /Applications/Zenimax Online/Launcher.app/game_mac/pubplayerclient/eso.app

• Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, but it's not there either...

I've searched for Zenimax, ESO, launcher....nothing comes up.
    Edited by Ostacia on June 17, 2018 6:22AM
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you installed through Steam, it might be here (I don't have a Steam ESO install to verify):

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common

If you can find the directory there, the rest of the path should be what I posted before.

Edit: Brute force method is to open Terminal.app and type this (it will take a while): find / -name "eso.app" 2> /dev/null
    Edited by smacx250 on June 17, 2018 11:13AM
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi! I did install through Steam. This is very confusing. I've just been back to Mac for less than a year and finding things seems to have changed drastically from the last time I had a Mac.

I can get this far: Users/myusername/ ....There is no folder called Library and when I search for it, I get a long list of varying things mostly ending in .lua, only one is a folder. This folder contains > Caches > GeoServices > ReqCount.db

I also searched for Application Support, Steam, and steamapps to no avail. I'll try the brute force method when I get some time. Thank you for yours. It would be nice to know where this file lives....
    PC/ NA
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mac search function won't find things under "Library" (unless you go through some extra steps), and won't ever show you things inside of an app (which is where eso.app is - in Launcher.app). "Library" is also not shown by default in the finder. You can navigate inside an application by pressing the "control" key and clicking on the app, and selecting "show package contents" from the pop-up menu.

To have the finder show the "Library" folder, you can follow the steps here:

https://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-Library-Folder-on-a-Mac

To search "system files" (which includes "Library"), you can follow the steps shown here:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/326545/finder-not-searching-files-in-library-and-library

You can also go to any folder by opening the finder, selecting the menu options "Go->Go to Folder...", and then typing the folder path in the box (such as "~/Library" - which would be your user library file), and then clicking "Go".
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @smacx250 ! You are amazing! I used the Go->Go to Folder advice and found the eso64.exe file. I felt like I'd found some hidden treasure. Alas, it gives this error: You can’t open the application “eso64.exe” because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on macOS.

Ah, so close, yet so far!

If only I could launch the game, I wouldn't have to do these tech-wizard things! *throws self out of chair*
    PC/ NA
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I got as close as I think I'm going to get:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/game_mac/pubplayerclient/eso

I opened "eso" and it totally looked like what I get when I launch via Steam; I was so excited. Put in my username and password (both the ones I had from playing the beta and the ones I use currently from buying the game November 2016) and got this:

2gydjj7.png

I am so tired and rue the day that I purchased this game on this thing called Steam.

Thank you for trying to help me, but I don't think there's any help to be had until we're allowed to disconnect from Steam.

PC/ NA