The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Can I really be what I want?

Salacious
Salacious
✭✭✭
I want to be a templar who uses maces, wares robes (light armor) and casts spells and is apart of the mages guild (for my characters story)

So whats the issue?

Templars are meant to be tanks/healers and thus dungeons and group content are off limits to me(?)

• pysgod1978b14_ESO
    Nothing stopping you really.
  • Arawn
    Arawn
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes you can be what you want. I for myself play my Templar with Two handed Weapon and Restoration Staff
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    I am afraid the community wants the trinity and nothing but .... since this isnt a real ES game
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    Arawn wrote: »
    Well yes you can be what you want. I for myself play my Templar with Two handed Weapon and Restoration Staff

ya but your more accepted as you can dps and heal ... especially heal

• Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you truly can be what you want. There will be guilds out there who will "persuade" you that your build may not be viable but in my opinion you should play how you want because classes will be tweaked and skill will be nerfed/buffed during the duration of this game. To a large extent, every class can heal/DPS/Tank.
  • freekvanhelvoirt
    yes you can, no weapon is restricted, all spells are available. its up to you what you want to spend ur skillpoints on. You can wear heavy/medium/light armor ur choise. You can even use a mix if you prefer. You can join both the fighter AND the mages guild if you want.
    Looking for active guild! PM me
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Salacious wrote: »
    I want to be a templar who uses maces, wares robes (light armor) and casts spells and is apart of the mages guild (for my characters story)

So whats the issue?

Templars are meant to be tanks/healers and thus dungeons and group content are off limits to me(?)

Yep.

The only limit is that you will never have access to skills specific to other classes. Only the sorcerer (for example) will ever have access to the Storm Calling line, even though other classes can still cast spells. But class-specific skills are a tiny fraction of the total skills in the game. You can literally make any character type you want from the given template classes.

• Medwin
    Medwin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Duel wield mace for dps? Yeah, a templar can be a DPS if that is what you are getting at. Take some Dawn's Wrath and Aedric Spear skills for some magical damage spells.
    Edited by Medwin on April 2, 2014 9:53PM
    Please read through and comment on my incredibly comprehensive Vampire guide. :)
    Officer at Cross Guild check us out, we are a large DC guild that does PvP, RP, and PvE. We have things for just about anyone.
    RP Characters: Anora, Redguard -- Mira Medwin, Dunmer -- Pia Patricia Potts, Breton
  • Arawn
    Arawn
    ✭✭✭
    Yes if you play Templar you should be able to heal. But am having it also for solo situation that's why two handed.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    The class descriptions are generalizations. They do not actually limit what the characters in that class can do. If you wanted to, you could completely ignore all your class-specific skills and just invest in all-weapons or all-spells or whatever. You could have a Dragon Knight that looks and acts like a Wizard, and never engages in melee combat at all.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars can be DPS - thought I doubt they're the best for close range combat, it should still work.
    Edited by Inversus on April 2, 2014 10:02PM
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Vodan
    Vodan
    Honestly, with templar's excellent damage abilities (see Aedric Spear tree) I see absolutely no reason to dismiss their dps role potential. They are actually great at this. I used dps templar in beta and the experience was good. If you want to be light armor wearing (bonus to magicka and spells) templar spamming spells like a boss then go ahead. Also while you're at it taking a skill or two from the healing line as well would be wise since you're gonna be swimming in magicka anyway (assuming you're going to go mostly magicka with stats upgrades) but won't be able to take a lot of punishment.
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can. I play a templar and basically just dabble in everything with the goal to eventually be able to do everything with one character (it's possible). So far I tried:

Light armor mage type - blew everything away
    Medium armor arcane archer - blew everything away
    Heavy armor 2H warrior - blew everything away

I haven't actually tried healing yet, but the above combinations and any possible permutation worked out just fine. I mixed armor types, weapons and skills, even tried a balanced build equally using stamina and magicka pools and it totally works, so you don't have to focus on an archetype.

So just play what you want, how you want. Want to be a Templar mace-wielding battlemage type? Go for it. Being a Templar doesn't mean you need to stick with healing or tanking - in fact Templars have one of the best single target nuke builds in the game.