The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why boats take you to Alinor? How to properly start the main Summerset quest? [spoilers]

maboleth
maboleth
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm one of those people that want to start quests like a story. I like to be approached or to witness something that will pull me in. I like to think as a character that I play, rather than use my own knowledge about zones and quests.

Anyway, I went to the Mage's guild in Auridon and talked to Galerion. He offered me a quest and the story about the Oracle. I finished it, saved the Oracle and was told to go to Summerset to investigate further.

I took a boat to Summerset and arrived in - Alinor!

Why Alinor? Shouldn't I be in Shimmerene, closest city to Auridon island. Alinor is a beautiful and majestic city, I was blown away, but don't know what to do there? How can my character get a clue to go somewhere and start the main quest? Any hint or clue in Alinor? People in the zone told me there's none.

I find it strange and awkward to take a boat to Summerset only to arrive in Alinor and then travel with my horse to Shimmerene, without any clue. :-/

Edited by maboleth on May 31, 2018 11:31PM
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree ! I had the same, and I did ride to Shimmerene right after landing.

Only new characters spawn in Shimmerene... That's a bit awkward.
    When landing on Vvardenfell, Seyda Neen was the entry both for new and older characters
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Actually, for Morrowind we were given two options - travel to Seyda Neen or Vivec.

Having both Alinor or Shimmerene destinations would do the trick here too. But now we have "Travel to Summerset" that will take you straight to - Alinor. :-/

The only boat I've found that takes you to Shimmerene is from the Vivec port. I really don't understand the rationale behind this. I know Alinor is the capital, but still, there's zero clue in that city about meeting with someone that will help you (Raz).

Edited by maboleth on June 3, 2018 11:34PM
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    maboleth wrote: »
    I'm one of those people that want to start quests like a story. I like to be approached or to witness something that will pull me in. I like to think as a character that I play, rather than use my own knowledge about zones and quest=

would this not be then a perfect opportunity to play as a character not having previous knowledge of zones and quests

Edited by Eporem on June 7, 2018 3:15PM
  • Vuldovahkriid
    Vuldovahkriid
    ✭✭✭
    My character was chilling in Auridon before heading over, and there was a boat at the dock that took you straight to Shimmerene. Go to the Chapter's tab in the menu, and accept the quest it'll put an icon on it.

Also I have to say ZOS actually did a really good job with this expansion. When I logged into my character the first night, I could see Shimmerene from where I was on Auridon's coast(plus other small ruins). That attention to detail is always a plus.
    Valtyr Stormblade- Nord DK CP810

Vulsahvith- Argonian NB CP810

Illidan Highborn- High Elf Sorc CP810

Thrall Durotar- Orc WD CP810

Mythos Varedis- Wood Elf TP CP810

Ra'zaq- Khajit NB CP810

Aelya Proudmoore- Breton Sorc CP810

Broxigar Saurfang- Orc DK CP810

Lady Sylvannas Windrunner- Dark Elf NB CP810

Lord Anduin Wyrnn- Breton TP CP810
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character was chilling in Auridon before heading over, and there was a boat at the dock that took you straight to Shimmerene. Go to the Chapter's tab in the menu, and accept the quest it'll put an icon on it.

Thanks for that. Yes, accepting the quest from the "stories" really puts the icon on the boat that will take you to the Shimmerene. I find it a bit awkward, because the selected boat is being used by other sailor that, when talked, will take you to Morrowind. The arrow head is there only if you start the quest via "Stories". I never do quests like that though.

There's no doubt that this boat decision (default to Alinor, without other options) has been made on purpose. Though I fail to see the rationale. A simple option "Travel to Alinor or Shimmerene" would do the trick.
    Also I have to say ZOS actually did a really good job with this expansion. When I logged into my character the first night, I could see Shimmerene from where I was on Auridon's coast(plus other small ruins). That attention to detail is always a plus.

Absolutely. I *love* Summerset and Alinor in particular (the only city I've seen so far). It's my new home for my high elf.