The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Speculation and Conspiracy - Molag Bal, Meridia, and the Grand Scheme

Bonzodog01
Bonzodog01
✭✭✭✭✭
I have played through the main story about 4 times on different characters, and everytime, I actually sit and read, watch and listen to everything said. I also ask all possible questions as well, just to make sure there isn't something I overlooked last time I did it.

The last time I finished it, and after completing wrothgar and listening to the final words from Varen, something struck me -

Right from the very start, there are casual hints and clues that Cadwell is close to Meridia. Like VERY close. After the coldharbour story, its pretty much admitted that he has been working for her all along, and everything that happened to you was planned all along.

At the end of the Wrothgar storyline, Varen warns of a big Daedric war coming, and the various princes are choosing sides. It seems inevitable they will need Heroes.

When you think about it, it seems strange that Meridia has had the Hollow City planted there for all that time without Molag Bal knowing of it - especially since it is surrounded by Daedra and theres a gatehouse with his 'daughter' in it! Add to which, Cadwell knows her.

I suspect that with the big war coming Molag Bal has had to side with Meridia, and a truce of sorts was called. The whole thing with the anchors was not much more than a ruse, a PR exercise if you will to lure mortals to Molag Bals side and to put out feelers to find potential heroes.

The problems with Mannimarco and the Worm Cult were an unexpected thorn in his side, but he decided to make best use of them until such time that they were in any danger of actually doing any damage.

So, Molag Bal tasked Meridia with asking Cadwell to find the much prophesied hero in his prison, and help them "escape". Molag Bal would put up some trivial defence as a matter of making them think they were actually escaping.

Likewise Varens escape was vital, as Molag Bal knew that Varen was the man for slowing down Mannimarco to give him time to get the main plan underway.

All along Cadwell is keeping track of our hero, and uses the fight to get the Amulet of Kings back as a way of testing their abilities. All the main story quests are merely a test, nothing more.

At the end of a couple of the quests, it is even hinted that letting Lyris and co escape so easily was part of a grander scheme.

At the end of the primary test, Molag Bal then stops Mannimarco from actually using the amulet, and lets Varen have it, knowing that it will be used in the final test against him himself. The grand prize for our hero is the return of their soul, but this is all part of the grand scheme.

Ultimately, when the war comes, our hero will discover that they have been used and manipulated in order to aid Meridia, Molag Bal and others as yet unknown in the war to come.

Why Molag Bal has chosen the 'good'(??) side is as yet unknown, but even he himself hints that there are far worse than him - Mehrunes Dagon I suspect will be at the core of the upcoming war.
Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • The_4O4
    The_4O4
    ✭✭✭
    That's an interesting theory, but who says Molag chose the "good" side? Maybe Meridia has chosen the "bad" side?
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, its time to resurrect this. I have a feeling I was pretty close most of the time. Meridia has used and manipulated us, and definitely has an ulterior motive.
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Remember
    what Darien says in his final letter?

Words of the Fallen
    by Darien Gautier
    The last words from a golden knight

Never trust a Daedric Prince. If there's anything I learned from all this, that's it in a nutshell. I used to think I had a purpose, a part to play in the grand scheme of things. I suppose I did, sort of, but the way things turned out, it wasn't at all the way I imagined. Meridia said I was her vessel. I guess my fate was sealed from the moment she brought me into existence.

Now, here I am, back in the Colored Rooms. I thought that when I gave my energy to restore the sword—and I did that for my friend, not for Meridia—I thought that was the end of me. I'm back, though, but this time is different. My light, it's fading. I can feel the darkness getting closer, pressing in. I expect that once the light goes out, that will be the end.

I need to tell you something about Meridia. She's a deceiver. She promised that if I served her faithfully, I'd earn my freedom. She never told me that freedom was just another word for the void. Don't trust her. Don't trust any of the Daedric Princes. Not ever.

I've found peace though. Meridia gave me a chance to see the world, and those I care about, one last time. To save those I loved. I'm grateful for that, at least.

I wish I had a chance to say goodbye to everyone. To Skordo. To Gabrielle. Gods, I'll miss them. But most of all, <Player Name> I don't know if they'll understand how much they truly meant to me. Perhaps we'll see each other again, in another place, another time. I probably won't be the version of myself that's writing these words, though. That me will be gone. I can live with that.

I only wish I could have spent more time with everybody. Had a few more adventures. Ordered those drinks like we always talked about.

I hope my friends find peace, happiness, and love. They deserve what I could never have. If anyone ever finds this book, know that I will never forget those I named herein. And, if you find them, and I pray that you do, tell them this.

Protect the ones you love. Hold them close. Cherish their every moment. Make them laugh, and laugh with them. Smile together and never, ever, forget that the moments you have are so very precious.

Oh, and tell them not to forget me, either. I mean, I am a legend, as far as I know.

The polite, handsome, and humble knight,

Darien Gautier
    Edited by DoctorESO on June 7, 2018 9:52AM
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably should put some spoiler alerts in this or something.