The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Oblivion damage idea

barshemm
barshemm
✭✭✭✭
I think it's rightfully popular opinion that sloads is over performing. Arguably sets like shield breaker do according to the targets it's designed to attack but I am on the side of the argument that the cost to run it makes it a valid trade-off.

From what I can tell the idea behind oblivion damage is to counter the builds that are able to mitigate damage from most normal sources such as shields and permablock.

Why not make oblivion damage only apply if you have a shield up or are blocking? Then it is only a niche counter for niche builds.

Right now sloads isn't a counter, it's a set that over performs on everyone who can't afford to purge.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just remove the entire concept of oblivion/true damage. It's crummy design to let people build towards mitigating damage, then make it possible to easily bypass that mitigation.

Shieldbreaker was bad, but doesn't hit as many targets. Knight's Slayer is bad, but it's a boring playstyle (heavy attacking constantly). Infused Torugs Oblivion is bad, though the nerf to oblivion glyphs helped prevent it from becoming too crazy.

Sload's give the nastiness that is oblivion damage to any build. It's super easy to use, doesn't require specific actions on the part of either the user (Knight Slayer) or the target (Shield breaker). It's trash, oblivion damage as a concept is trash, etc. etc.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    can somebody explain me how should sorcs play in light armor without shields?
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭

nobody said you should play as a sorc in light armor with no shields on :/
  • barshemm
    barshemm
    ✭✭✭✭

Play in light armor with shields. Accept there is a hard counter for your glass cannon build and slot a resto staff and use the hot. That counters sloads. For shield breaker pressure your opponent so they can't just sit and spam light attack.

People who complain about shield breaker should switch to Stam and try it for a bit. It's only arguably useful with a bow and even then a decent sorc will kill you before you kill them.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    barshemm wrote: »
    People who complain about shield breaker should switch to Stam and try it for a bit. It's only arguably useful with a bow and even then a decent sorc will kill you before you kill them.

people who complain about shield stacking should switch to sorc and try it for a bit.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    testd4n1 wrote: »

Why not make oblivion damage only apply if you have a shield up or are blocking?
  • barshemm
    barshemm
    ✭✭✭✭

Why not make oblivion damage only apply if you have a shield up or are blocking?

slot a resto staff and use the hot
  • barshemm
    barshemm
    ✭✭✭✭

people who complain about shield stacking should switch to sorc and try it for a bit.

I've double shield stacked on my mag blade a lot. I didn't die to someone spamming light attacks
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like advice from a pro
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just brainstorming here:

But what if oblivion damage worked so it also dealt the same amount of damage to the one using it?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that Oblivion damage is the counter to mitigation and shields, but I find it odd that it is not affected by battle spirit. IMO all sources of oblivion damage should be increased by at least 50% base magnitude, and should be cut in half for PVP. This would make Oblivion damage viable for PVE builds, and tone it down slightly in PVP, while remaining a useful counter against shields and high resistance builds.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I've double shield stacked on my mag blade a lot. I didn't die to someone spamming light attacks

Ah, so you play a magblade. Well that explains why you dont understand the actual implications of shield breaker. Its not about whether u use shields or not. Its about shield being ur main defence and having almost no alternative ways to survive. Magblades do have alternative ways. Sorcs dont.
  • barshemm
    barshemm
    ✭✭✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »

Ah, so you play a magblade. Well that explains why you dont understand the actual implications of shield breaker. Its not about whether u use shields or not. Its about shield being ur main defence and having almost no alternative ways to survive. Magblades do have alternative ways. Sorcs dont.

Sure they do. Probably the best mobility in the game and los. One dodge roll and a streak and you can easily get a couple ticks of a hot off. How do I know? I do it all the time on a Stam sorc. The easiest sorcs to kill are the ones who think they can rely on their shields as their only defense and just come at you 100% on predictable paths. The hard ones are the one that are constantly moving around taking advantage of their delayed burst to make their location unpredictable while maintaining pressure.
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure they do. Probably the best mobility in the game and los. One dodge roll and a streak and you can easily get a couple ticks of a hot off. How do I know? I do it all the time on a Stam sorc. The easiest sorcs to kill are the ones who think they can rely on their shields as their only defense and just come at you 100% on predictable paths. The hard ones are the one that are constantly moving around taking advantage of their delayed burst to make their location unpredictable while maintaining pressure.

jsut laughet on this lol hahahahaha xD
    sload isnt doing to much difference in daamge to everyone else who dont have only shields as their defense or only cloak with bad healing becaos uhhh...stam have only 1 spammable heal and is weaks af while 2nd you need to wait atlest 10 seconds before good enough worth heal

on stamsorc you have in your ass sload, youah,. jsut dodge, streak etc and spam dark deal witth vigor
    on mag sorc you dont have always enough stamina to always do dodge before streak and also stamsorc as is more tankly thna magsorc can spam dark deal in just chaos whiel mag sorc will be killed very fast because no resistances and no shields up which will be burnt instantly in chaos so your advices are invalid
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not make Oblivion Damage same to Malevolent Offering, if it procs on someone he is get the damage plus the one who wears it, from a lore standpoint it could work too (Means how the residents of Oblivion interacts with their OP deals with Mortals) plus then I'd say it would be pretty much balanced
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Just brainstorming here:

But what if oblivion damage worked so it also dealt the same amount of damage to the one using it?

+++++++++
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • barshemm
    barshemm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spam dark deal and streak on a Stam sorc. Funniest thing I've heard all day.
  • Nemeliom
    Nemeliom
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigBadVolk wrote: »
    Just brainstorming here:

+++++++++

Who would use oblivion if this was true?
    It is as if the enemy were using the set for free.
    Baradur Morker - Level 50 Bosmer Nightblade
    Le-Duck - Level 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Boom-Stormer - Level 50 High Elf Sorcerer
    Nemeliom the Great - Level 50 Redguard Warden
    Crazy Little Maggie - Level 50 High Elf Templar
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    new oblivion dmg idea, remove oblivion dmg :)
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nemeliom wrote: »
    BigBadVolk wrote: »
    Just brainstorming here:

+++++++++

Who would use oblivion if this was true?
    It is as if the enemy were using the set for free.

well, everything has a price in oblivion
    I'm 120 years old
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL, just... no. You don't really know how weak Resto skills are until you actually try this. It's ridiculous that Vigor is superior to anything you can do with a Resto staff except the ultimate!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭

I’m gonna tell you how to play mag sorc .
    HOW DO I KNOW HOW TO PLAY MAG SORC???
    Why I do it all the time on a stam sorc of course
  • barshemm
    barshemm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mihael wrote: »

I’m gonna tell you how to play mag sorc .
    HOW DO I KNOW HOW TO PLAY MAG SORC???
    Why I do it all the time on a stam sorc of course

I specifically said dodge roll and streak to get a pause in light attacks from shield breaker to get a few ticks of a heal off. I didn't say how to play a mag sorc I pointed out 2 common skills we have at our disposal.

For the point of view of mobility, I said the ones who don't take advantage of their mobility and delayed burst are the easier ones to kill. You don't want to take advice from someone who has had many fights with mag sorcs? Cool, please don't. I struggle a lot with good mag sorcs as I'm running a full melee build, please stand still and let me get all my attacks on you so I can kill you easier, thanks!
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shield stacking sorcs are pissed because of the sloads and oblivion damage. Thats why the constant whine. Sorcerers are the most played pvp toons because they are so great at it and shield stack to insanely tanky with dps sets. Sure then they have pretty low hp and are used to spam shields as main defence. Learn to play issue. Oblivion damage is just fine and niche is to counter damage shield monsters warping around and second most played pvp toons Nightblades.
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stibbons wrote: »
    Shield stacking sorcs are pissed because of the sloads and oblivion damage. Thats why the constant whine. Sorcerers are the most played pvp toons because they are so great at it and shield stack to insanely tanky with dps sets. Sure then they have pretty low hp and are used to spam shields as main defence. Learn to play issue. Oblivion damage is just fine and niche is to counter damage shield monsters warping around and second most played pvp toons Nightblades.

Make a mag sorc go into cyro in light armor without shield stacking and then teach me how to l2p

(Sitting in the middle of a group or 24 people doesn’t count)
  • elfantasmo
    elfantasmo
    ✭✭✭
    Either oblivion damage deals the same dmg to caster like someone mentioned or all oblivion damage have a maximum cp160 cap. Coz new players need some help going straight into cp campaigns. Oblivion is carrying way to many of the cp800+ tetley tbag brigade. If you can’t outplay a shielded player then you don’t deserve to win. Period. Without access to this ridiculous pew pew behind a Zerg sleepwalking it helps improve the health of PvP.
    Edited by elfantasmo on June 3, 2018 7:59PM