The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magwarden PvP Inquiry

Najjynn
Najjynn
✭✭
Hi folks!
I'm looking for some input from players who main or have extensive experience with Magwarden in PvP. I absolutely love the magwarden playstyle, animations, etc. and as such, would like to try it out in PvP. However, I have heard that with the Summerset release, and in general, the class is absolutely at the bottom of the barrel in terms of PvP for solo roaming/1v1 and as a non support role (i.e., DPS). (Reference: I primarily play small scale/solo/sewers roaming when playing in PvP).

My question: Is it possible to do very well as a Magwarden in (1) 1v1/1vx (assuming an appropriate level of skill); (2) roaming in Imperial sewers/cyrodiil; and (3) small scale/group PvP as a primarily DPS oriented build?

Any input would be greatly appreciated -- I love the playstyle of Magden, but if I'm going to be shooting myself in the foot every time I try the class at the above roles, I really would rather focus on another class that I enjoy that can also do well [again, assuming an appropriate level of skill]. My other favorite class is a MagDK, which is why i'm wondering.

Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  • donJay
    donJay
    ✭✭✭
    Simple answer: No. Magden is in no place to play solo with the butchering of fissure cc on top of dodgeable birds. Small group, maybe.

tldr; I would go for magdk
    Edited by donJay on May 27, 2018 6:45AM
    ANIMOSITY BEST GUILD NA + EU
    Former Los Pepes
    Former Nemesìs
    Former Dynamic
    Former Nexus

EP | Magplar l Argonian l don-Jay
    DC | Magden | High Elf | don-Bae

Magden Solo PvP Vid
  • Stygies_VIII
    How about playing as a warden in a bigger group? That's still fine? We're mostly talking about small groups or dueling here, but if I went with a bigger group, should I expect to be the first one to die?
    The Imperial Library - Assistant Librarian
    Polish The Elder Scrolls Wiki - Bureaucrat
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    donJay wrote: »
    Simple answer: No. Magden is in no place to play solo with the butchering of fissure cc on top of dodgeable birds. Small group, maybe.

tldr; I would go for magdk

Exactly this^
    How about playing as a warden in a bigger group? That's still fine? We're mostly talking about small groups or dueling here, but if I went with a bigger group, should I expect to be the first one to die?

If you run in a big group, you can use pretty much anything. You mean like a zerg, right? You would be more useful on pretty much any other class, but since you need to do so little when in a zerg, what you use doesn’t matter too much. Whether you live or die will mostly depend on how high your Max Health is when a big burst of damage hits you (which is why most players in Zergs have 28K+ Health. If the burst doesn’t kill you, enough heals will likely go out to heal you up immediately.

The most powerful tool a Mag Warden has in a large group is Corrupting Pollen. That’s a strong skill you can bring to the fight, though if you are solo or small group I doubt you can find room on your bars to slot it.
    Edited by Vaoh on May 27, 2018 7:40AM
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can do IC with a skilled partner of a different class or in small group, and open world definitely. The loss of the stun on shalks hurts a lot, and made magden probably the weakest possible choice for 1vX.

We're not even a week into this cycle, but that's my take. Magden is my favorite and I'd main it if I could, but not this summer it seems.
  • Iskras
    Iskras
    ✭✭✭
    Forget any mag class... ZOS hate mag classes! Dont know why...
  • FakeZavos
    FakeZavos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talking from 1vX perspective its defenitly not the best option. Tough a good build can do alot of stuff, even with the recent changes.

In a small group magwarden shines on the other hand. A 2-4 man group with some nice AOE abilities will be really strong. For example: 1 magdk (with banner) 1 magwarden (with permafrost) 1 templar (with meteor/resto) 1 sorc (with negate) Will be incredebly strong. Make a hight burst build (something like spinner+necropotance+1domi 1infernal) and your sleet with ur sub will do insane amounts of dmg. You can even go a full ice build with icestaff and a resto staff and have great roots/snares around you. Will help the group alot and will still do tons of dmg.
    Edited by FakeZavos on May 27, 2018 3:26PM
    Why do I even try
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a healer/support magicka warden is absolutely amazing. In my opinion they outperform magicka templar on that role in PvP
  • Stygies_VIII
    Vaoh wrote: »

If you run in a big group, you can use pretty much anything. You mean like a zerg, right? You would be more useful on pretty much any other class, but since you need to do so little when in a zerg, what you use doesn’t matter too much. Whether you live or die will mostly depend on how high your Max Health is when a big burst of damage hits you (which is why most players in Zergs have 28K+ Health. If the burst doesn’t kill you, enough heals will likely go out to heal you up immediately.

The most powerful tool a Mag Warden has in a large group is Corrupting Pollen. That’s a strong skill you can bring to the fight, though if you are solo or small group I doubt you can find room on your bars to slot it.

Thanks for the reply! I'm going for a support/healing mag warden, that's why I was asking and I think I will build this character despite the changes and I'll be useful in bigger groups as a support thing. I just really like the class, this and the templar are my favourites.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply! I'm going for a support/healing mag warden, that's why I was asking and I think I will build this character despite the changes and I'll be useful in bigger groups as a support thing. I just really like the class, this and the templar are my favourites.

Yup it’s my favorite class as well! :)

Remember to stack CPs to increase the healing debuff of Corrupting Pollen. That healing debuff is what makes it so strong.

Your Ults Permafrost and Healing Thicket are also very useful.
  • Stygies_VIII

Remember to stack CPs to increase the healing debuff of Corrupting Pollen. That healing debuff is what makes it so strong.

Thanks again! Last question from me: Panacea (resto staff ult) or Secluded Grove (green balance ult) in pvp?
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive played magden as a main in pvp since its pre-release.

It has suffered a lot of changes and ultimately lost most of its class defining abilities.

its ok in a group of any size of 2 or more, but if you intend on being solo you will be punished for it as the class has no damage on tap, no burst, no class CC, no usable execute and quite a poor dot.

The Bear ulti has a built in execute function but its very poorly done and it wont ever be useful to you in open world pvp.
    The AI is terrible and sometimes it disappears from fights all together, it spends the whole time chancing the opponent and doing no damage, also the "Re-spawns when killed" is bugged and wont automatically work... instead it forces you into the pet summoning animation and will get you killed.

i strongly believe that Magden is the worst class to play solo pvp on by quite a large margin - i really wouldn't recommend it at all.
    I recently turned my bretton warden into stam (still bretton ) and it destroys things, its like getting out of an old knackered car and getting into a Ferrari. Im not saying that stam warden is OP - but now i feel competitive where as on magden it feels a little bit like a joke.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Wardens can be very survivable
    FakeZavos wrote: »
    Talking from 1vX perspective its defenitly not the best option. Tough a good build can do alot of stuff, even with the recent changes.

In a small group magwarden shines on the other hand. A 2-4 man group with some nice AOE abilities will be really strong. For example: 1 magdk (with banner) 1 magwarden (with permafrost) 1 templar (with meteor/resto) 1 sorc (with negate) Will be incredebly strong. Make a hight burst build (something like spinner+necropotance+1domi 1infernal) and your sleet with ur sub will do insane amounts of dmg. You can even go a full ice build with icestaff and a resto staff and have great roots/snares around you. Will help the group alot and will still do tons of dmg.

I agree. The 'magwarden sucks' narrative is being taken too far. They are an excellent PVP group class. Even duo.
    Edited by zyk on May 27, 2018 7:49PM
  • donJay
    donJay
    ✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »

I agree. The 'magwarden sucks' narrative is being taken too far. They are an excellent PVP group class. Even duo.

Why can't mag classes do both? And not be pigeon holed into the group role like magplars?
    ANIMOSITY BEST GUILD NA + EU
    Former Los Pepes
    Former Nemesìs
    Former Dynamic
    Former Nexus

EP | Magplar l Argonian l don-Jay
    DC | Magden | High Elf | don-Bae

Magden Solo PvP Vid
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again! Last question from me: Panacea (resto staff ult) or Secluded Grove (green balance ult) in pvp?

In No-CP, I use Secluded Grove. It’s a better heal overall and procs your passives.

In CP it’s up to you. Panacea will save your life and another person whereas Secluded Grove is better for healing a large group. Both are good in their own way.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't mag classes do both? And not be pigeon holed into the group role like magplars?

I didn't say shouldn't.
    Edited by zyk on May 27, 2018 10:52PM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »

Because ZOS... that’s why.

Mag Warden got ZOSed :(
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I man a magden healer in PVP. If the group is small, I can't do much of anything. It takes a larger group to be effective.
  • AngryOldMan
    AngryOldMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made my mag warden a tanky healer, need to survive so im not the first to die. I have duelled a bit with him, but im only able to score a kill against New PVP-ers. If my opponent is half descent i dont have the DPS to kill, and if enemy is low on Health i dont have any execute skill. But i am able to survive during the fight, so it ends up a tie.

Mag warden is good when running in group. Have alot of support skills and aoe defile.
    So not the first choise for solo PVP-ing
  • Zildjian2112
    Zildjian2112
    ✭✭✭
    On console no fissure nerf yet but I’ve been running my magwarden in pvp solo and small group quite a bit. 5 light 1 heavy 1 medium. Necro,shackle,1 domihaus. Slotted flame reach and have stopped relying on fissure cc to prepare myself. have no problems with 1v1. 1vX is a toss up depending on the other players skill but that’s the same with all classes. Plenty of successful 1vX situations though. I proc fissure and knock back with flame reach to simulate reach being my cc. Then light attack force pulse weave. With 50k mag and 3100 spell damage I have plenty of burst. Will see how it goes when Summerset hits Tuesday. Can’t imagine it being a huge deal. Birds were trash anyway. Replace them with reach and it should be fine. Not to mention the breach will make me hit insanely hard. It will almost certainly affect 1vX though because that fissure stun would inadvertently cc so there’s that.