Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How to start a new character in another zone than Morrowind?

estrong20b14_ESO
I want to try a new character build, but don't want to start in Morrowind.

Best Answer

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You basically start in Morrowind (or Summerset, once that drops), run to the Seyda Neen wayshrine or port to a guildie and pretend that Morrowind/Summerset never happened.

The only way to do it otherwise is to not own Morrowind/Summerset, and then you'll always start in Coldharbor.
    Edited by VaranisArano on May 20, 2018 1:01AM
    Answer ✓
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The third way to do it starting Monday is to buy Summerset. Then, you will start there.
  • Madrax573
    Madrax573
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as you start in Seeda Neen just talk to the guy next the boat and he'll take you to the starter area for your alliance.
    Once you move on to your main alliance zone you'll get the hooded person give you a quest that will take you through coldharbour.
    I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up!
  • estrong20b14_ESO
    I also discovered that when I used the map to look at the world, there werel waypoints available in most areas.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sad thing is that for unknown reasons, known only to ZOS, the Coldharbour starting area was automatically removed for anyone who bought Morrowind. Hard to understand why when buying new content, part of the old one is taken away. And it is a very nice climatic starting area which we should be able to choose manually on start anytime we want.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    The sad thing is that for unknown reasons, known only to ZOS, the Coldharbour starting area was automatically removed for anyone who bought Morrowind. Hard to understand why when buying new content, part of the old one is taken away. And it is a very nice climatic starting area which we should be able to choose manually on start anytime we want.

It hasn't been taken away, just changed. If you travel to your Alliance's starter city and talk to the Hooded Figure, you'll start a short quest that ends up in the same Coldharbor starting area as the original tutorial to kick of the Main Quest.

So its not the tutorial anymore, but its still in the game as a part of the Main Quest.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started a char shortly after MW, worked her partly through MW, did not enjoy it, ported her to Snugpod to find the prophet and have not taken her back to MW. I didn't enjoy MW in TES III and I don't enjoy it now. On my next char, I did what I had to do until the first possible second I could port to Snugpod and go do the 'real' tutorial. As others have said, choice please?
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Sekero
    Sekero
    ✭✭✭
    Nitpicking here, but if you speak to the hooded figure, you HAVE to do the Wailing Prison. Pre Morrowind, you could skip it if you had already done it. What's needed is First character has to do Wailing prison via the hooded figure, so you know how you became the Vestige. Alts get the choice of skipping the tutorial entirely and should be able to elect to start in Alliance/Chapter1/chapter2/etc.

OK alts would technically be playing before character creation, but if you're kept to first person, you're good till you wake up in Oblivion i.e, character creation.
  • Cyngar
    Cyngar
    SO i just got the game, SO the starting area im in now (lvl10) is not the main?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyngar wrote: »
    SO i just got the game, SO the starting area im in now (lvl10) is not the main?

The new starting area will launch you into the Summerset quests.

If you want to do the Main Quest, go to the Shimmerene wayshrine and travel to the wayshrines in your starter zone for your alliance. Then talk to the Hoode figure and that will start you on the Main quest.