Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best Templar Class

Athakin
Athakin
I chose to roll a High Elf Templar and I am not so sure that it was the best choice. Templars, being as versatile as they are, my primary focus is to deal extreme amounts of damage while providing healing as a backup for my allies. Should I have gone Argonian or Dark Elf, maybe even Imperial? Also, what types of armor should I be wearing / weapons should I be using? Lastly, I plan on putting all 50 skill points into magicka, is that a bad idea? Any advice / thoughts would be greatly appreciated. - Athakin :smile:
Edited by Athakin on March 31, 2014 1:15AM
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your race is fine all racials can be made up in game with enchantments.
    As for what to wear Light Armor helps increase the use of Magicka.
    Since your putting 50 Points into Magicka you can spare 2 items to be either Medium or Heavy Armor
    While its fine your trying to put out the MOST DPS possible don't forget that your going to need some kind of crowd control as well. So I would save 1 slot for a knockback or a stun and 1 slot for the heal you wanna use.
  • Kroin
    Kroin
    ✭✭
    I choose breton for my templar, good defensive good magica. For lvling i would put a few point into health, that will help alot. While lvling always where atleast 1 piece of each Armor. (Heave, medium, light)
  • dipcakes
    dipcakes
    also if you go with 49 Health you can easily gear towards only magicka/stamina to be more versatile
  • Kroin
    Kroin
    ✭✭
    dipcakes wrote: »
    also if you go with 49 Health you can easily gear towards only magicka/stamina to be more versatile

Thats not correct anymore, the changed it.

• dipcakes
    dipcakes
    Kroin wrote: »
    dipcakes wrote: »

Thats not correct anymore, the changed it.

They changed the value for health on armor yes. But if you go with 49 Health you can easily switch form stamina to magicka build by just switching gear and don't have to respecc your attributes. Thats what i meant with versatile ;)

• silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Athakin wrote: »
    I chose to roll a High Elf Templar and I am not so sure that it was the best choice. Templars, being as versatile as they are, my primary focus is to deal extreme amounts of damage while providing healing as a backup for my allies. Should I have gone Argonian or Dark Elf, maybe even Imperial? Also, what types of armor should I be wearing / weapons should I be using? Lastly, I plan on putting all 50 skill points into magicka, is that a bad idea? Any advice / thoughts would be greatly appreciated. - Athakin :smile:
    If you are putting all your points into magicka then you intend a magicka-based build and High Elf is appropriate. On the armor question I'd recommend a mix of light for the magicka, heavy for spell resists, and medium to help your sneakability. For your weaponry the High elf has a training advantage in destruction staff, but you will probably want to consider that at L15 you will gain the ability to swap weapons and skill sets. The way I am building my Khajiit Templar (so far), I am focusing on sword and shield and also restoration staff. However I am wondering whether I should only worry about the Templar class line of healing and train up Bow instead so that I'll be able to swap out to a stamina-based range capability when my magicka is exhausted.
    - Anyone have a thought on this or a recommendation?

Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • crfurstenau
    crfurstenau
    Soul Shriven
    I played a Templar bow-healer throughout three beta tests and got into the mid 20s in the last beta. I am currently lvl 15 in early access with a Breton Templar Bow Healer.

This is my current build

When solo PVE:

I have my main weapon slotted as a bow with these skills

(RL) Rushed Ceremony->breath of life
    (RL) Restoring aura-->repentance
    (RL ult) Rite of passage->Remembrance
    (Bow) volley-scorched
    (Bow) Poison Arrow->Venom
    (Bow) Scatter Shot->Magnum Shot

And my second weapon (still a bow) with this.

(Bow) Poison->Venom
    (Bow) Volley->Scorched
    (Bow) Scatter->Magnum
    (Bow) Arrow Spray->Bombard
    (RL) rushed ceremony->breath of life
    (RL ult) right of passage->remembrance

Passives
    (Bow) Long shots
    (Bow) Accuracy
    (Bow) Ranger
    (RL) Mending
    (RL) Focused healing

I use 5 light armor pieces and 2 heavy

Passives:
    (LA) evocation
    (LA) recovery
    (LA) Spell Warding
    (HA) Resolve
    (HA) Comstitution

Racials-Breton
    Light armor affinity
    Magnus
    Spell resist

In group PVE I switch my second weapon set out for a resto staff and slot these skills

(Resto) Grand Healing-->healing springs
    (Resto) Regeneration->mutagen
    (Resto) Blessing o Protection-combat prayer
    (RL) Rushed Ceremony-BoL
    (RL) restoring aura-repentance
    (RL ult) Rite of passage-remembrance

With resto passives of
    Essence drain
    Resto expert
    Cycle of life

As I level I will be adding and changing these skills for appropriate situations, but so far this skill set his been amazing and I can take on multiple mobs quite a few levels higher than me and survive, and keep a group alive as well.

I will probably have to tweak this for pvp but I haven't gotten into pvp much yet as I am just trying to level still

*Edit

For my attribute points I have been going

4:2:1 mp:hp:stam

This leaves me short on stamina when I'm soloing and having to resort to auto attacks more often then ideal, but it keeps my mp pool high for personal and group survivability and fits my preference for endgame of being primarily a healer

• Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »
    Your race is fine all racials can be made up in game with enchantments.

How does this work exactly?

Do you need to give up another bonus for this? Or this is only for racials?
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No. Enchantments are a crafting skill, and when they are crafted they are applied to weapons, armor, and jewelry.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Enchantments are a crafting skill, and when they are crafted they are applied to weapons, armor, and jewelry.

Yeah i know , but i want if there is a trade off, like you could add a great bonus , but now you give that up to add a racial bonus.

Or if you could not just stack the bonus together , like you could have + 10% HP 2x (one /racial , one/enchant), which would still make picking the right race much better.

Pretty much stuff like that.

i dont know much about enchant , but from what i know , i dont see how enchant makes picking the right race irrelevant at all.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Ciovala
    Ciovala
    ✭✭✭
    Since stats can be overcharged, don't racial bonuses just let you reach a soft cap sooner?
    Looking for a mature and helpful social guild - play PvE, PvP, and like crafting.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ciovala wrote: »
    Since stats can be overcharged, don't racial bonuses just let you reach a soft cap sooner?

The question then become: Is there a cap for everything?

Otherwise , things like:

Health regeneration while in combat
    Increases Spell Power with fire effects
    Reduces the Magicka cost of spells

Will actually become the best and the ones you want to get. Since they are not stats.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • CatacombHeart
    I also went High Elf Templar.

Reason behind that choice was to make better use of the racials through skyshard farming, in order to boost max magika and recovery in combat. And then I would be pumping attributes into stamina (as I dual-wield) and health points instead, for a little while.
    Edited by CatacombHeart on April 2, 2014 7:09AM
  • Dragunzar
    Dragunzar
    I am also a high elf Templar who plans to put 50 points into magicka. In the beta I started something similar and wore light armour and a staff to get the magic boosting abilities from light armour.

In my honest opinion. Light armour is not worth it for a Templar, Especially if you'd like to use anything from the Spear tree line-Which have some of the highest damage capabilities for a Templar. I have gone fully armoured and am loving it, Heavy armour with sword and board. I know it sounds like a tank but im using my great defence as offense by making myself extremely hard to kill allowing me to do a lot of damage (with spells) without needing to flee.

TLDR: Light armour is squishy and I don't recommend it- even if your playing a caster Templar.
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    btw I understand these are soft caps: it isn't a hard cap, only diminishing returns beyond an apparently level-based limit.
  • Delerium
    Delerium
    ✭✭
    number crunching and builds aside... I wouldn't worry too much about your race choice. If you want to play a high elf Templar and that is what you want to look at for 50 levels and beyond then that is worth far more than the racial specifics.
  • jonah84
    jonah84
    Dragunzar wrote: »
    I am also a high elf Templar who plans to put 50 points into magicka. In the beta I started something similar and wore light armour and a staff to get the magic boosting abilities from light armour.

In my honest opinion. Light armour is not worth it for a Templar, Especially if you'd like to use anything from the Spear tree line-Which have some of the highest damage capabilities for a Templar. I have gone fully armoured and am loving it, Heavy armour with sword and board. I know it sounds like a tank but im using my great defence as offense by making myself extremely hard to kill allowing me to do a lot of damage (with spells) without needing to flee.

TLDR: Light armour is squishy and I don't recommend it- even if your playing a caster Templar.
    Not even for a Solar Mage? which it is a DW caster?
    FOR THE QUEEN (*)
  • Blargal
    Blargal
    I am rolling a Brenton Templar and at first I was going to try for a tank build as I was in the beta, but now I am finding that I am loving having a build using the Dawns Wrath tree.

PVE final build will be
    Vampires Bane
    Solar Barrage
    Explosive Charge
    Binding Javeline
    Blazing Shield

ULT: Solar Disturbance

Instance build
    Breath of Life
    Lingering Ritual
    Repentance
    Channeled Focus
    Searing Light

ULT: Remembrance

Passives
    piercing spear
    balanced warrior
    enduring rays
    illuminate
    restoring spirit
    mending
    focused healing
    light weaver

I just put what the final name of all the abilities are and all passives will eventually be maxed out. I will still have tons of points to work in other areas in the end but as for the main ability build I think i'm going to have a lot of fun with those specs.

I also am using a mix of armor right now but plan on being heavy armor, I know I would benifit magic wise using light or medium armor but the way I see it is I plan on making most of my armor so I could very likely put magic buffs on most of it in the end anyway. Only time will tell, I COULD also use the bow, actually with a build like mine I really recommend using a bow but I can't stand using a bow it for me was boring. I myself will try it later but I am using dual wield for the aoe burst damage spec and still debating if I want a resto staff or a sword and board with my healing spec. That is what is great with this game you don't HAVE to go a certain way to be a good player! :) Have fun with your templars ladies and gents I thus far am having a blast!
  • ThornJagger
    ThornJagger
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Khajiit, using medium armor and 2 handed. I am investing in a equal amount of of class and weapon skills but only select ones and working on there build up. throwing ig a few Fighters guild and Undauted perks for spice. I want a skill set for undead and Daedra with a second set for humans. I always
    I never loose... I either win or learn.
    Vae Victis forever