Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

NB Tanks? What's Up?

thearchivist95
So I'm newish, and looking to tank. Someone suggest a NB tank, but I had read they're a bit of an oddity, not really accepted in trials and end game content. What's the deal? Can my bosmer nightblade be a welcome tank, or will he get laughed out of LFG?
  • 3DJutsu
    3DJutsu
    I'm not only a NB tank, but a STAFF tank as well. I do just fine.

I'm able to even tank in Light Armor in Vet Dunegons, though it is a bit more hectic. Still fleshing out a lot of the details but it seems that NB tanks are getting quite a bit better this Monday (on pc) thanks to our updates.

EDIT: S'long as you can properly tank, normal players will have no issue with your class. The ones with the issues are going to be the one you'd want to ignore anyways. Do your job, do it right, do it well, and no one should have anything negative to say.
    Edited by 3DJutsu on May 17, 2018 3:39AM
  • thearchivist95
    So how should I build this guy, considering I'm new? Like a normal S&B tank, funnel health... what about siphoning strikes or whatever it's called. I saw someone say it was super good, but bad now? Gimme some tips!
  • thearchivist95
    Also someone JUST told me NB tanks are getting a buff in summerset, but I can't find patch notes. What's the deal there? What's being improved?
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade tanks can be good. To answer your questions:

- when an expansion is on the PtS but not live, the patch notes are in the public test server section of the forum. There are usually 4-6 iterations as they hone the changes, then whatever the final changes are will be posted in patch notes in the main section when the expansion drops.

- the major change for NB tanks is the ability to select a morph of cloak that doesn’t offer stealth ( @ZOS_wrobel - weak dev skills, dude) but instead heals for 33% of max health. Scaling off max health for this will be huge for tanks. Previously vigor was the burst heal...roughly it would offer a NB tank ~5000 health. The new skill ( @zos_wrobel which is nice, but has been put senselessly on the wrong ability because the dev team is lazy and makes poor choices) will heal for maybe 20k health...quite a boost.

Tip: if you’re a new player with a low level blade and no champion points, you may want the invisibility over the heal while you’re lower levels. Invisibility is really helpful in pushing through content faster, and grinding. If I were leveling a new NB, I would take the invisibility morph then recast it later when I was building the character as a tank.

- I’m not sure why someone would say siphoning attacks / leeching strikes is bad now. One is for magic, the other is for stamina. It’s a fantastic resource return ability, and Summerset isn’t nerfing it as far as I know.

- more broadly speaking, you can have tank in mind as your long term goal, but you don’t have the run the character as a pure tank as you level and grind. Keep this in mind - ESO doesn’t force you to make permanent decisions that lock you into a roll. You can kinda level everything, then have a vet who can pretty easily flip between tank, dps, etc.

A stamblade tank will need a lot of champion points to be a very good tank. They get a lot of survivability and defense from these. Which is fine...all classes need a lot of CPs to tackle the endgame content you’re referring to. So you might approach the character as more of a tank/dps in working them up to vet and then earning your first ~300 CPs. At that point you could start to really focus on tank building.

Some basics aimed at helping you get to NB super tank:

- level heavy and medium armor. You can level all three if you want. But with this character you’ll likely end up wanting medium for a lot of generic PvE stuff, then mostly heavy when you tank. Medium offers a lot of dps. When I run my dk and Templar tanks in overland grind PvE, I throw on medium to speed things up.

- this character might benefit from all four physical weapons in different situations. Feel free to dabble with them all, and level them all at least a little. When you get to vet, use your enlightenment (see guides section) to bring all of these lines to 50.

- legerdemain: I recommend that all new nightblades level their leger to 16 to get the 40% reduction in sneak cost. It’s worh the investment. Every once in a while, go to the ships docked at daggerfall (few npcs) and steal everything. Fence it all. Do this ~12 times and you’re there. As a bonus, higher legerdemain offers you better rpg on chests and steals.

- one of your longest grinds will be undaunted. You want to get to undaunted 9 to unlock the powerful passives...one which is going to give you more resources, which this character will want. Once you open undaunted (level 43), start running both the delve dailies and normal dungeon dailies. You need about 125 to level this line...it’s a long grind. So start it as soon as you can.
  • thearchivist95
    What race would you recommend? And on that note, should this be a stam or mag build?
  • thearchivist95
    Okay now that it's actually a good build, should this be magicka or stam-based? Aside from health, which is an obvious priority
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay now that it's actually a good build, should this be magicka or stam-based? Aside from health, which is an obvious priority

Stam and mag are both an option. I say go Argonian and lean more on magicka.
  • thearchivist95
    I went mag because all the mitigation and healing abilities seem to lend themselves to magicka. So I'm frost staff tanking... not sure if that's a good idea though yet lol
  • Kumba_Ya
    Kumba_Ya
    ✭✭
    I’ve been using a DK tank since I started the game. Recently rerolled my Nightblade dps into a tank based off the gears and skills from Alcast’s recent build and oh man I love nightblade tanking. Lots of self healing for yourself and your team, healing the team for about 800health a tick with lots of crits plus funnel health healing a player for another 1k a tick. There’s no reliable shields like DK but the heals are enough to keep me alive through vet content.
  • thearchivist95
    Honestly the biggest struggle I'm still facing is picking a race lol I keep changing between a couple I made. Argonian and dunmer.